WSPR

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
DaveP
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0DDF

WSPR

Post by DaveP »

Hi all. I am going to set up WSPR in the new year and intend to use the Sota modual,as it comes almost ready to go, apart from setting it up with the PC (hope it supports a Mac) I also want to get the extra filters for 2 and 70, hopefully Sota can supply these as well. My only down side is the minimum my radio will do is 5 watts and it would have been nice to use milliwats just for the fun of it. Any one else using this system of WSPR and how did you get on. The antenna I intend to use is a 20-10 windom but it will tune up for 40.

73s Dave
Yeasu FT-897 wide banded, MD100 mic, Yeasu FT-857, Yeasu FT-8800r, Diamond X300 2/70, A pair of phased shunt type loops for 2/70. 6 meter shunt type loop, Windom 20m to 10m long wire, Antron 99s for 10 and 12 meters. As you can see Im a Yeasu Man and loopy to boot. :D
takara

Re: WSPR

Post by takara »

I suggest you read the spec again. The WSPRlite kit from Sotabeams is a self contained HF transmitter...it doesn't need a separate TX. It also doesn't do 2 & 70.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

To the best of my knowledge you will require Windows 7 upwards, neither Mac nor Linux are supported, but you just plug in to a PC once to configure it with your callsign etc, after that the unit is stand alone.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
DaveP
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0DDF

Post by DaveP »

Thanks for the info, I did not read the spec properly, yes of course it is a stand alone unit. I was told that there are filters available for 2m I will give Sota a ring as I was interested in WSPR on that band. I'm choked that my Mac is not supported,just means if I go for it I will also have to buy a cheap windows laptop. I'm beginning to wonder if the cost of WSPR plus a laptop is worthwhile financially
Yeasu FT-897 wide banded, MD100 mic, Yeasu FT-857, Yeasu FT-8800r, Diamond X300 2/70, A pair of phased shunt type loops for 2/70. 6 meter shunt type loop, Windom 20m to 10m long wire, Antron 99s for 10 and 12 meters. As you can see Im a Yeasu Man and loopy to boot. :D
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

You can get a laptop off the bay for this.
However you only need it the once, can you do that using another persons PC if your not a pc user?
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Post by FakeJake »

Or install windows in a virtual machine...
Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg
ClubbaUK
Regular
Regular

Post by ClubbaUK »

The U3 is a good multi-option stand alone kit for WSPR, if you like building kits that is.
http://shop.qrp-labs.com/U3S

I have a U3 but prefer to use a HF radio/ PC combo for WSPR, I use the low RF out setting on the radio (5w) but by the time it's gone through the ATU and feeder it's more like 2w at the antenna and even lower if the audio output level is decreased.
As I'm not in a good location (height restriction on antennas) I've found that a milliwatt TX is more or less useless for me, especially if it's run via an ATU.

You might want to consider building a multiband fan dipole if you intend band hopping with mw & WSPR, you could tune/trim each dipole for the WSPR TX/RX frequency on the HF bands you desire.

Just 1 example of the multiband fan dipole http://www.hamuniverse.com/multidipole.html