Smallest SSB capable set?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: Smallest SSB capable set?

Post by Mudslinger »

The magnum looks very similar to the Optima. What are the differences?
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

Mudslinger wrote:The magnum looks very similar to the Optima. What are the differences?
The optima has continous VFO,varible power,fan cooled finals split frequencys plus a few other thing which the 257 doesnt, they are quite different inside but both work very well and reliable.
harakiri

Post by harakiri »

I did put a Uniden PC-122XL in my dad`s car,and it does perform great on SSB. It was smaller than I first thought it would be. So based on my experience using it,and being on the other end from it,its a great little radio that deserves to be mentioned. Downside is its only 40 channels and no FM. It also looks quite good I think..

I`ve also tried the SS 9900,and it is surprisingly good sounding. It has all the things you need,and even more stuff you don`t need and probably would not use. Back power way down though,or else it could get to hot. It is also quite long in the back,which could be a problem. The one I got I put back in its box after testing it. I got like 4-5 radios in a two weeks time back then,so it could not compete with a Yaesu 840 and Stalker 9f. In a car it would compete easy,because its size. I don`t know how the 9900 handles car-noise though..
Eh..Its time.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

I just missed a Magnum 257 that sold for £80 on Ebay. It was only on for a day or so with a "buy it now" and I hesitated and lost it :(
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Going back to the actual question, I guess the smallest SSB capable set commercially available would be the Albrecht AE2990 and it's clones.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

That certainly has to be the definitive answer for sure 8)
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

ghost123uk wrote:I just missed a Magnum 257 that sold for £80 on Ebay. It was only on for a day or so with a "buy it now" and I hesitated and lost it :(

Sorry mate, it was me that snapped that one up.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

This must be one of the smaller mobile sets?

http://78roger.free.fr/dirland/9353.htm
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

harakiri

Post by harakiri »

Mudslinger wrote:This must be one of the smaller mobile sets?

http://78roger.free.fr/dirland/9353.htm
That one was interesting. Wonder how it performs.
Eh..Its time.
Phoenix
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Phoenix »

Magnum 257 or Albrecht 485 same radios great mobile...probably the best and ive tried lots
26TM114
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

I've just paid for an Antone AT-6666 I got off Ebay for £90. They were mentioned further up here ^^^.

Now you know that impulsive "thing" that can happen when your trawling around Ebay :roll:
Well I saw it, and thought "I'll offer him £20 off the asking price, he's unlikely to go for it" and you know what happened next. Now I mention this because I do have one concern, after I had bought it, I checked its dimensions, the frontal area is small enough (158 x 48), but the depth is 245mm and that is too "long" to go in the bit in front of the gear lever on the car (Berlingo) where my current Beta1000 lives very neatly.

EDIT = and looking back on this thread, I just read this
harakiri wrote: I`ve also tried the SS 9900........... It is also quite long in the back,which could be a problem.

:roll:

Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

That there 'Berlingo' is a Peugeot.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

Admiral wrote:That there 'Berlingo' is a Peugeot.
Funnily enough I knew that ;) It's just that most folk know what a Citroen Berlingo is, whereas the Peugeot Partner version is less well known :roll:

Anyway, anyone want to swap an AT-6666 for a non high power version of the Magnum 257 {bnghd} (mind you, I don't think 2.3cm shorter will help that much :evil: ) I'll figure summat out. Stick it above my head (there is a shelf space up there) and pretend I'm a proper trucker 8)
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

Admiral wrote:That there 'Berlingo' is a Peugeot.
a peulingo :lol:
love your familly
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

I'm trying to find a name for it. I've got so used to referring to my vehicle as "The Camper" (after owning the VW for so long) that I still call this thing The Camper, and it ain't. "MPV" perhaps? I dunno.