MilAir Antenna, H or V?

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

MilAir Antenna, H or V?

Post by Admiral »

I've made a crude 5/8th wave antenna for MilAir reception, I'm currently trying it out horizontal, vertical, and at 45 degrees, I can't yet decide which is the best polarisation, never mind a Google search, what do you find the best for you?

Any comments will be very welcome.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: MilAir Antenna, H or V?

Post by paulears »

Don't forget that if you use it horizontal, then you have nulls at the ends, so it's becomes directional, and 180 degrees of effectiveness is now aimed at the ground, so vertical is the best. As soon as you start to try slant our horizontal, you really need at least two, phased together to restore omnidirectional operation.
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

Post by WARLOCK »

ADMIRAL hi can you please tell me what are the messurments you are using for your 5/8th milair antenna ???
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Mine is 27 inches with the same as a wire ground wave.
redman99
Regular
Regular

Post by redman99 »

paulears wrote:Don't forget that if you use it horizontal, then you have nulls at the ends, so it's becomes directional, and 180 degrees of effectiveness is now aimed at the ground, so vertical is the best. As soon as you start to try slant our horizontal, you really need at least two, phased together to restore omnidirectional operation.
Yes All airband inc Mil is vertical.Cross polarised with give a 20db loss, ie if you have it horizontal.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I'll stick it back to vertical, no need for an antenna at all where I go dog walking at a certain bombing range, the F16s create their own clouds as they pull up at 20g, and the Chinooks wake rattles your fillings out.
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

Admiral wrote:Thank you for taking the time to reply, I'll stick it back to vertical, no need for an antenna at all where I go dog walking at a certain bombing range, the F16s create their own clouds as they pull up at 20g, and the Chinooks wake rattles your fillings out.
i would love to go there watch and listen to that !!
love your familly
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Minus1 »

Depends whether the plane is flying straight, or banking sharply, and in which direction it is banking relative to you.
Vertical is generally going to be the best bet.

Liquid metal antennae that can respond to rapid changes in roll are not yet available, but give it a decade or so… ;-)
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked