Intek MT-5050 mods

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Intek MT-5050 mods

Post by BK »

Delboy's site has a great description of the MT-5050 mods with photos, but it only says that removing link C gives you the increased power mod and removing A, B and C gives you the extra channels. I was wondering what would happen if you just removed A and C or just removed B and C. Anyone know?
listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Intek MT-5050 mods

Post by listner132 »

The Intek MT-5050 is a feature packed PMR446 handheld which can easily be modified to give you a full 4 watts of output power and the option of a large range of channels. What's more this modification can be made without the need for data leads and computer software. All you need to do is remove the batteries, then locate and remove the little sticker which reveals 3 wire jumpers.
The radio is supplied as a standard 8 channel 500mw PMR446 radio.
If you only want the higher output power, keeping the standard 8 channels, you only need to cut the link marked 'C'.
Cutting ALL the links will enable 4 watts output power, and additional channels.
The range achieved between two of these handsets can be as much as 20 miles. Some users have also removed the standard antenna and replaced it with an SMA or BNC connector to enable connection to an external antenna.
So to sum up, these little radios allow users to have their very own Unofficial UHF CB system which gives reliable, clear communication over a reasonable distance. There's no wonder they are selling like hot cakes !
Haran
New User
New User

Post by Haran »

I just have a new pair of MT-5050 and here are my conclusion after cutting the wires...

A-O
B-O New as it comes...8 PMR Channels + 69 LPD Channels, 0,5W power
C-O

--------------------------------------------------------------
A-O
B-O
C-X 4W+SCRAMBLER FUNCTION

---------------------------------------------------------------
A-X Only P1-P8 PMR channels
B-O

-----------------------------------------------------------------
A-O Only 1-69LPD channels
B-X

-------------------------------------------------------------------

A-X 8 PMR Channels + 69 LPD Channels , 30 PMR Simplex Channels + 99 LPD Simplex channels, 20 PMR/LPD Semi-Duplex Channels
B-X

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've found a list with the channels.
http://www.thiecom.de/ftp/intek/mt5050/channellist.pdf

This wil provably my first and only post but I hope this will help someone as the information I've found arround internet and in this site has helped me with the modification of my MT-5050's.

Over.
rocket
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M0ROC

Post by rocket »

Bottom link is extra power, middle link is extra channels, top link is voice scrambler.
73 de Mark
M0ROC, 26HB896, 26TM896
M0LGC (Letchworth Garden City Amateur Radio Society)
Flightradar24 live feed: T-EGGW38 via AirNav RadarBox 3D
Haran
New User
New User

Post by Haran »

rocket wrote:Bottom link is extra power, middle link is extra channels, top link is voice scrambler.

Not in my mt-5050. Whe I cut the bottom link the voice scramble appeard. Just as I said in my post. I did the cutting with two different radios in different order.
rocket
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by rocket »

Haran wrote:
rocket wrote:Bottom link is extra power, middle link is extra channels, top link is voice scrambler.

Not in my mt-5050. Whe I cut the bottom link the voice scramble appeard. Just as I said in my post. I did the cutting with two different radios in different order.
Well yours is different to every one I've ever come across of these, and I have had literally hundreds of them.
73 de Mark
M0ROC, 26HB896, 26TM896
Haran
New User
New User

Post by Haran »

rocket wrote:
Haran wrote:

Well yours is different to every one I've ever come across of these, and I have had literally hundreds of them.
Ok. Maybe they don't actually work as they used or your "hundreds of them" were a different version. Or there are different ways to achieve the same result. I didn't try to cut the bottom wire alone.
rocket
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by rocket »

Haran wrote:
rocket wrote:
Haran wrote:

Ok. Maybe they don't actually work as they used or your "hundreds of them" were a different version. Or there are different ways to achieve the same result. I didn't try to cut the bottom wire alone.
Same version, there is only one. If you didn't try cutting the bottom link on it's own then close the other two up and check, you will get the power mod.
73 de Mark
M0ROC, 26HB896, 26TM896
Haran
New User
New User

Post by Haran »

rocket wrote:
Haran wrote:
Same version, there is only one. If you didn't try cutting the bottom link on it's own then close the other two up and check, you will get the power mod.
Ok, now they are the same version. You said that they where "different" but now that coment seems to be a not-kind-one.... But sorry, I mistook my words. I did not try to cut TOP wire (or A wire) alone. I cut BOTTOM wire alone and I got SCRAMBLE. I can't asure how to get 4W because I cannot check it and I assumed the info I founded (4W bottom wire) which can be wrong, but yes I did cut the BOTTOM wire alone and checked if scramble worked and the answer is yes. With two diferetn radios. Have you ever tried to cut only the bottom wire and check if the scramble works? not if you get 4W but if scramble works. And the other combinations I've posted? (which can be wrong because I assumed that cutting the bottom wire also get 4W because that is what everybody say. Maybe a snowball?).