Another OFCOM balls up.

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Re: Another OFCOM balls up.

Post by Transwarp »

Leave the ham radio licence structure as it because any changes to it won't magically conjure up anything new and would therefore be a waste of money and time trying to. Radio is a dying hobby.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Transwarp wrote:Leave the ham radio licence structure as it because any changes to it won't magically conjure up anything new and would therefore be a waste of money and time trying to. Radio is a dying hobby.
I respectfully disagree, the licence structure is top heavy in my opinion, there just aren't the new recruits any more, get as many people onboard as possible to give it a boost and try and keep it going for a few more years, exam-free licences are the way to go, a bit like a 30 day trial on software, get it, use it, like it and then take the plunge.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

No, exams help to seperate the ham experimenters and the appliance operators...

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Metradio wrote:No, exams help to seperate the ham experimenters and the appliance operators...

Mike
I (dubiously) passed my C&G for a class B back in the day, but I've never built a ham radio in my life, Lewis Hamilton doesn't need to know how his car works to be a champion driver.
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Metradio »

Ham radio needs mechanics not drivers..
Come to think of it I don't think I have ever built a radio, but I have installed, commissioned and repaired hundreds..

Mike

Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Metradio wrote:Ham radio needs mechanics not drivers..
It needs some mechanics and many drivers. Keep it a members only club and it will die on its arse in the 21st Century.
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Metradio »

If it's going to be a club for mobile phone users, then so be it...

Mike

Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Metradio wrote:If it's going to be a club for mobile phone users, then so be it...

Mike
That quote makes your sig look slightly ironic.
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Metradio »

Why is that??

Mike

kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

WhiteNoisePoetry wrote: OFCOM in their original consultation wanted to simply have an address to issue a licence and that was it.
So a 5 year old could get his FL, live till 90 yrs and only ever given one address in his lifetime. That would soon trash any call book scheme.
WhiteNoisePoetry wrote:You'll see that the original proposal was a lifetime licence + no fixed period to validate + only update details when they changed.
This was their own recommendation at the bottom of the document.
Sorry WNP but you're going to need to keep spoon feeding me for a little longer I'm afraid...

How does this "trash any call book scheme"?
NiCdeth

Post by NiCdeth »

Wasn't this related to the controversy about every call/personal being put on the net for all to see? I seem to remember RSGB commenting that some unscrupulous organisation would put the Call/ID info of every licensee on the net, then someone pointed out said web site was already up and owned by one of the RSGBs subsidiaries or something. It was a while ago, and I don't have any references to hand.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Metradio wrote:No, exams help to seperate the ham experimenters and the appliance operators...
Using the highly respected scientific method of plucking a number out of the air, I estimate that 96% of UK licensed amateurs are appliance operators and not experimenters, despite the current exam requirements...

OK, OK, that stat is obviously complete BS but from reading this forum and talking to members of my local club / other local amateurs, the vast majority seem to be far more interested in things like rag chewing, collecting dx contacts or contesting than conducting any kind of meaningful experiment or "technical investigation".

Not that I am putting that down in any way - the more people on the radio the better in my book, whatever their particular area of interest. Being elitist about our hobby is a sure fire way to kill it dead imho...
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Technology, interests, and social activities have moved on. There just isn't the interest in 'hobby radio communication' that there used to be anymore. As a long term hobby it's not going to happen for today's generation and why would it? Internet, phones. tabs, gaming, drones, and all other interesting tech. Coupled with the fact trying to put up a decent antenna system with restrictions on such in many new build areas, then having to deal with all the interference and hash around that's generated from modern equipment, it's just not worth the effort or money anymore. Yes, negative and a doom 'n' gloomer I may sound, but that's the reality of things. Ok if you live in an old farm house in the middle of nowhere away from everything then super, but that's a minority not a majority. Like I said, leave the licence structure alone because it won't change anything messing with it again imo.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Metradio »

Transwarp wrote:Technology, interests, and social activities have moved on. There just isn't the interest in 'hobby radio communication' that there used to be anymore. As a long term hobby it's not going to happen for today's generation and why would it? Internet, phones. tabs, gaming, drones, and all other interesting tech. Coupled with the fact trying to put up a decent antenna system with restrictions on such in many new build areas, then having to deal with all the interference and hash around that's generated from modern equipment, it's just not worth the effort or money anymore. Yes, negative and a doom 'n' gloomer I may sound, but that's the reality of things. Ok if you live in an old farm house in the middle of nowhere away from everything then super, but that's a minority not a majority. Like I said, leave the licence structure alone because it won't change anything messing with it again imo.
Wot he said ... A fair comment.

Mike

paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

On the phone to Ofcom today, trying to sort out the new registration that has gone wrong for me, while waiting for their computer system, I mentioned this. Amateur numbers are actually going pretty well, and while not piling on numbers, there is clear replacements as the older ones die. However - there appear to be two distinct types of amateur now. Operators and radio professionals who are pushing the limits of the higher bands. Requests for NoV come in regularly for the GHz bands, and most modes are digital up there. I just wonder if those people never use 2 or 70 to chat. The normal 2/70 users have no interest in the higher bands, and for those up there, it's business as usual. Antennas are about plumbing and micrometrical measurements, and dishes are the norm. 'Normal' hams can't even listen up there, so live in ignorance.