Halo antennas

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Halo antennas

Post by StormShadow »

Hi I'm thinking about making a few Halo antennas, one for 10 meters and one for 40 meters and maybe one for 4 meters. I'd like to experiment and compare them with regular half wave dipole antennas.... Well I'll make one Halo antenna for 10 meters to start off with.

Has anybody used Halo Antennas before and do they have an advantage over half wave dipoles in terms of getting a better signal?

My other reason for looking at making a halo antenna is that there smaller than half wave dipoles so could be useful antennas with those who have limited space or antenna restrictions.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Halo antennas

Post by kr0ne »

Halo! :wave:
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

Trust you :clap:
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Sorry... couldn't help myself... :lol: just think of it as a free thread bump! ;)
slamjam
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26DT871

Post by slamjam »

It will be better in some directions and worse in others. This is because a halo is a bent dipole - A horizontal dipole will raditate most of its energy bi-directionally with some sharp nulls on the end whereas a halo is omni-directional therefore it will be better in the direction where the dipole ends face and worse in the two directions the dipole sides face (has less gain in that given direction). I hope that makes sense? A flat loop would be better - It has gain over a dipole but this is of course bigger.
26DT871 - Ipswich UK
Bigdave
Legend
Legend

Post by Bigdave »

Nothing like reviving an old thread,i use a pair on 2 meter ssb.The null point is the gap but its very minimal,only a couple of degrees max .............................
26 TM 1248
WINNER of INB4TL, the big battle edition 16/07/23
OFTEN IMITATED,BUT NEVER INTIMIDATED.
WINNER of INB4TL,the no interest edition 18/03/24
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

I found this website/article a few years back. Always meant to build one for 2 and 6m.....

https://sites.google.com/site/g3xbmqrp/Home/homebase10
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |