Best receiver?

A place to discuss the HF and Shortwave listening side of the radio hobby. Discuss equipment, frequencies and antenna systems etc. Anything HF!
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Best receiver?

Post by Gemini4 »

Managed to get one on Amazon at last..delivery thursday,really looking forward to it. :)
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

mountainpenguin wrote:any one tried http://www.miklor.com/GP5/GP5-Review.php
That looks remarkably similar to a Tescun 365.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

Tecsun PLL 660
Awsome radio,got it yesterday earlier than expected and plug it in the mains and away I went.
Even on the mains there's no interference with hum or anything,picks up all the hams etc up like I wanted a radio to.The Sony just used to buzz all the time when on the mains,but not this little beauty..its great! :D :D
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

What did we tell you ;) Brilliant value too.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

Can't believe the brilliance of it farty...just one wish..I wished the backlight would stay on.
The instructions say it can but I cant get it to do it..still all in all I'm very happy..listening all night last night,even picked up the rescue up on 5681..even though the bands were noisy it seems to bypass a lot of the it. :D
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I'm really glad you have found a radio you enjoy Gemini4, I really do think that you would have been bitterly disappointed with a Target/Nasa radio for £160, even though they are being sold as new sets, they were designed in the 90's, the guy who designed them was a brilliant individual, and in the day they were a revolution, but when he designed them he didn't have the luxury of 21st Century chips.
Make sure you give the airband a go as well, my little Grundig/Eton G3 is really sensitive on airband and is just as good, and may even pip the Uniden 3500XLT on that band.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

Gemini4 wrote:...just one wish..I wished the backlight would stay on.
It should stay on if you press and hold the button for about 2 seconds.

The 660 is a lot of radio for the money, only slight issues I've had is the occasional internal clock noise which bizarrely clunks through the frequency you're listening too (either going up or down :crazy: ) and when recalling some presets from the memory - recalls SSB presets in AM mode - just hit BFO the memory channel button then all's well. :thumbup:
zippy
Call Sign: 26TM537

Post by zippy »

I have a pl-660 next to my bed, just use the built in telescopic and its bril. I piad 49.99 for mine brand new in the box. as someone said its a lot of radio for not a lot of money. I wouldn't swop 2 crappy dx394 sets for my 660. them jokers can ask 150 as long as they want for a 394. these 660s blow them out of the water.
Alinco DR135DX, Baofeng UV-5R, TYT MD380 (UHF), Realistic Pro-2035, JRC NRD-545 DSP, whitestick and ½ wave silver pole on the chimney and various lengths of wire draped around the garden.
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

Tried the light button thing..just wondered if it only works if its on batteries?.
But I'm enjoying a radio that actually works for once on all frequecies even medium wave on the mains is good..so I'm happy.
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

Clipper wrote:It should stay on if you press and hold the button for about 2 seconds.
Actually, that's not quire true - just pressing the 'Light/Snooze' button briefly should keep the backlight on. Maybe it's related to the 'intelligent auto lighting' feature? With the radio in standby, press keypad '5' and see if it says on or off. it's 'on' by default.
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

No still goes off,obviously it destined to go off after a few seconds.
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

I've had a 660 for a few years and can swear by its value for money. I use it on the 5m wire that came with it.

Tecsun now produce a loop antenna that will improve the MW.
GRUBSCREW
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G7WFB

Post by GRUBSCREW »

Over the years I've had quite a few from cheap to expensive I like Plessey Racal Icom they all do things better than the others try using them before buying them if you can.
My favourite is a Watkins & Johnson HF1000 it takes a lot of time and use to master it complex and capable it needs to have the pre selector fitted to make best use of it,very hard to find and very expensive but it will hear it if it's out there I love mine took me years to find one but that's my choice and I will never part with it.
John
Edd200sx
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Edd200sx »

Did have a Panasonic dr48 old school cool
Now got tecsun pl-880 and it rocks takes up less space
And is super sensitive! Ssb feels like hf!
DELETE MY ACCOUNT
GRUBSCREW
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G7WFB

Post by GRUBSCREW »

Its been said before on here its all down to the Antenna and i agree with that ,S W L is a great way to fill your spare time and a great thing for youngsters to get into .