DMR registration - data protection.

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
bobbyjobby

Re: DMR registration - data protection.

Post by bobbyjobby »

Perhaps I'm missing something, but what's stopping someone 'pirating' your published ID number, making an arse of themselves and getting you banned? :think:
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

bobbyjobby wrote:Perhaps I'm missing something, but what's stopping someone 'pirating' your published ID number, making an arse of themselves and getting you banned? :think:
Absolutely nothing at all. If you put my RID in your radio then when you go on DMR MARC you instantly become me.

This vid goes on a bit, but you get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-etwQB4bRY
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
bobbyjobby

Post by bobbyjobby »

That's quite worrying. I thought I read somewhere something similar was done with D-STAR in the past.
sierra_za
Regular
Regular

Post by sierra_za »

It was posted somewhere that Ofcom allowed DMR networks in the UK due to the user registration system.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

sierra_za wrote:It was posted somewhere that Ofcom allowed DMR networks in the UK due to the user registration system.
Users are already registered..........with Ofcom.
sierra_za
Regular
Regular

Post by sierra_za »

Well, instead of jumping to conclusions, why not contact Ofcom
WhiteNoisePoetry

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry »

From what I'm reading things are turning a bit sour on DMR ?
Grapevine informs me there's fallouts, takeovers, dummies being spat out at dictatorships,websites being closed, Facebook arguments.

Who on earth would want to put a complete network in the hands of unaccountable tin gods who can pull the plug at any minute
if they don't get their own way.

Doomed to failure.

I'll get some more popcorn.

73 de WNP
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Well, I'm not going to be an outlet for wild rumours, but it seems that the lack of TG235 net last Monday 15/02 had nothing to do with AWYs ability to access a repeater or not.

It looks like someone has hit the self-destruct button, hopefully the repeater keepers will keep out of it and keep them going regardless of some anonymous person telling them how to maintain their repeater.
battlestarone
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: gm7jds

Post by battlestarone »

while i do agree with many of the points being made here,i think we have to remember it all about trying to keep the network secure and free from non licensed users on what is a worldwide platform,you cant enforce data protection for system thats server is located in another part of the planet,there system,there server there rules and i totally agree with the rules,there has been to much repeater abuse from non licence and licenced users over the last 10 yrs or more to he point where our own repeater group dropped the internet linking project and ofcom were useless at bringing the parties to boot with one case making a mockery of the case and ofcom in the courtroom,case dismissed.

dmr,dstar,and c4fm are the way to go,what one will win i am not sure and come out the most popular,,i think it will be dmr or fusion due to lower cost,but what ever network it needs to protect themselves now,and if it really goes, if your name is not on a list then your radio will not get access as the technology is there now to do this.

but i do agree that if anyone asks for you details for a data base then they have to assure users it is protected and not shared with 3dr parties.

regards jds
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

battlestarone wrote:but what ever network it needs to protect themselves now,and if it really goes, if your name is not on a list then your radio will not get access as the technology is there now to do this.
But the main thrust of the argument is that I merely have to look up GM7JDS DMR number and stick it in my radio and voila, I'm you if I put on an och aye jimmy accent (mild humour, not disrespect).

And even if the numbers were not available, we all know the format, so a random number in the sequence will suffice to pirate.

Or maybe I've missed something?
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

When this all came out, I remember scanning my license and sending it to somebody and receiving a number. I think I entered it into a radio, discovered I can't access the network from here, so never thought more about it.

Clearly, looking back, the concept of data protection is what has upset some people. Well as the list is a world wide system and the database, as far as I'm aware is run from the US, there is no data protection as the data holders are outside of the UK. Even if they were here, the Data Protection Act doesn't actually provide much protection when information is provided voluntarily, and in this case most of the data is not considered private, as it's available from the Government - in the same way that the electoral register is publicly available - so your name and address isn't a secret and no protection is possible. They don't collect any information apart from your license details, which again, are not private. Perhaps if you have an older protected address license then this could be non-public information, but if you did protect your address linked to the license, you probably would have to make a choice.

The other thing is that there is no compulsion to provide the details - it's a choice. However, if you choose not to supply what they request, they choose not to let you into the club. It's a two way process. Like real names forums. If you want to be a member, you give your real name, and those people I read complaining about it should just clear off - systems cost somebody money, and if they don't like you, or you cause grief, they can simply refuse you access. You agree to follow the rules and get an ID. If you cannot subscribe to their rules, set up your own?

In this world, if you want something it's a choice. Do it or not. If you want to fake an ID, borrow somebody else, or be a pirate for want of a better word, are you really doing this because some anonymous person in another country asked for proof you really have a license? Is this really worth it? Being outraged at being asked to provide a document, yet willing to pretend to be somebody else to get around it amazes me.

They're not asking for your bank account number or your DNA - they just want to make sure you really are a ham to have access to their networks.

Every month I get stats telling me hundreds of people I searched my callsign. I never speak to people abroad, so who are these people? I've no idea and don't really care - maybe somebody is using my callsign? I'm not and that's the important thing.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

just to bring this tread back to life and cause some sheet...

i hate DMR, i hate the freeloaders who sit there DXing around the world yet talk 10ft in to a hotspot,
those that use their local repeaters then give a 5/9 report to a person in another country using a repeater also..

so here's what i found..
ANYONE can use the DMR network..
here's how i did it..

i got my own amateur licence..
i scanned it and edited out all the details.
i inputted fake details.
name address callsign the works..
sent it to the DMR registration people and in less than 24hrs i got a DMR id..
it's that easy..
lets remember GDPR also means the DMR network have no way to verify your details.
so really, anyone unlicenced or other can apply for a DMR id and use the system.

or do as a lot do, just keep changing the id for one that's in a public available cvs list..

DMR, such crap, the best thing since sliced bread yet has more holes in it than a sieve..!!

you can do similar with Dstar and Fusion..
so nothing is secure or safe.

lets just stick to analogue and be done with it all..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

bigpimp347 wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 11:41 just to bring this tread back to life and cause some sheet...

i hate DMR, i hate the freeloaders who sit there DXing around the world yet talk 10ft in to a hotspot,
those that use their local repeaters then give a 5/9 report to a person in another country using a repeater also..

so here's what i found..
ANYONE can use the DMR network..
here's how i did it..

i got my own amateur licence..
i scanned it and edited out all the details.
i inputted fake details.
name address callsign the works..
sent it to the DMR registration people and in less than 24hrs i got a DMR id..
it's that easy..
lets remember GDPR also means the DMR network have no way to verify your details.
so really, anyone unlicenced or other can apply for a DMR id and use the system.

or do as a lot do, just keep changing the id for one that's in a public available cvs list..

DMR, such crap, the best thing since sliced bread yet has more holes in it than a sieve..!!

you can do similar with Dstar and Fusion..
so nothing is secure or safe.

lets just stick to analogue and be done with it all..
"DMR is crap because you can fake a licence and use the system when you're not a real amateur"
*Tells everyone to use analogue where all you have to do to fake it is say your made-up callsign*

I do have to agree that it's really stupid when people give 5/9 reports on DMR repeaters but there are idiots on every mode. There are probably even more idiots on FM because it's so easy to set up that anyone could do it. As shown by all the abuse FM repeaters get.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Ah, GDPR. I'm not too sure how many here have had to deal with this right-wing nonsense in a professional capacity, but I have found it to be a nightmare, and a very expensive nightmare too.

Technically this site breaks the terms of the GDPR because a site that requires registration should have the facility for the user to delete their account via the system without any human involvement, here you are required to contact the admin who have not been seen since Halleys Comet last passed by. Simon could lose his Jag.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

Nobodies information is protected as far as I'm concerned that's why scammers always seem to have all the personal information on the person they ring up. It makes no difference.

I'm on QRZ but my personal info is limited.