Come on nobody on 70CMS

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
chin913
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: notafullone

Re: Come on nobody on 70CMS

Post by chin913 »

I use dmr simplex every day of the week on 70cms , loads of us on it up this neck of the woods ...
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

BK wrote: soldering SMT by hand sends me cross eyed!

:D

Bit of light and magnification is definitely needed, but then I know plenty folk who need that to solder through hole stuff... in fact, I kind of prefer it for through hole too now that I'm used to it if I'm honest... :oops:

Best tool I've found for holding SMT components while you solder is one of these:

Don't laugh. I use it to hold a bamboo kebab skewer, vertical with the point down, on top of the component while I solder it. The weight of the cast iron base plus the friction of the slightly blunted bamboo point seems to be just perfect for the job! Tinning the pads first can help but the magic secret is LOTS OF FLUX!

For ICs with a lot of pins, a wee dab of superglue works wonders. Carefully glue the component in place, enmsuring the pins are alligned to the board, then flood with flux first followed by solder solder and let physics take care of getting the wet metal in the right places.

Of course, there are some packages that are beyond these techniques but for the most part they work well and once you get a bit of practice in it's a lot easier and quicker than through hole soldering as you don't ever need to flip the board over!
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

Smt components are not to much trouble if you have the kit for the job, problem is my electronic building days are long gone eyes not so good these days and even holding a soldering iron is not a thing i would be doing with smts my shaking hands would create havoc on a small circuit board so im affraid faulty kit heads back to point of purchase (not so mind 15 years ago) take care all best 73 -•-
albrecht

Post by albrecht »

The repeater at Asgarby (Lincs) came back on late last year, but sadly I don't hear anyone much on.
ChipButty
Regular
Regular

Post by ChipButty »

I use 70cms as often as I can. Up until now mainly through the local repeaters. I have finally got an antenna installed as high as I am allowed and will be calling simplex as well as attempting to access some of the more distant repeaters when I play radio. I always carry a HT when out walking and give a call when I am able to.

Yes it is quiet, but we seem to have a dedicated bunch round here who tend to use the repeaters when they are able to.

I think the trick is to call as often as you can. I have found that there is always someone listening and can often be shaken in to a reply if you give them a reason to.

It is my favourite band.
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

ChipButty wrote:
I think the trick is to call as often as you can. I have found that there is always someone listening and can often be shaken in to a reply if you give them a reason to.
I find coming out with CB slang works best then they all come out of the woodwork,especially the band policemen that are normally anti-social ,works best if you are an M3/M6 ;)
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

Crusader wrote:
ChipButty wrote:
I find coming out with CB slang works best then they all come out of the woodwork,especially the band policemen that are normally anti-social ,works best if you are an M3/M6 ;)
:lol: :lol:
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
pete_uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pete_uk »

chin913 wrote:I use dmr simplex every day of the week on 70cms , loads of us on it up this neck of the woods ...

If you are just down the road from GCHQ, thats almost my neck of the woods. I just got a Hytera PD785 :thumbup:
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Want a quick reply to a call out on 70cms?

Use an echo box.....
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Two paper cups and a big ball of string, back to basics for us all then is the way forward, as is alcohol. :crazy: :lol:
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

Transwarp wrote:Two paper cups and a big ball of string, back to basics for us all then is the way forward, as is alcohol. :crazy: :lol:
Right fook it count me in! Mines a Tesco cider!
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

mof000 wrote:
Transwarp wrote:Two paper cups and a big ball of string, back to basics for us all then is the way forward, as is alcohol. :crazy: :lol:
Right fook it count me in! Mines a Tesco cider!
Cheers then :thumbup:
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
chin913
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: notafullone

Post by chin913 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VaMMwRSW4Q hey check it out I was on 70cms the other day for over an hour .. :-) there is still folks out there using it
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Nice brolly! Very dapper. :D
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Getting back to the thread title, I am now back on 70cms thanks to GB7PE and especially M0ZPU, I don't know you Rob, but I doff my hat to you Sir, and have sent a small donation in recognition of the immense cost of maintaining such a site and the pleasure it has given me over the past few days.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition