TYT MD380 firmware reverse engineered

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

TYT MD380 firmware reverse engineered

Post by BK »

Looks interesting
http://hackaday.com/2016/01/19/shmoocon ... -firmware/
In Digital Mobile Radio, audio is sent through either a public talk group or a private contact. The radio is usually set to only one talk group, and so it’s not really possible to listen in on other talk groups without changing settings. A patch for promiscuous mode – a mode that puts all talk groups through the speaker – is just setting one JNE in the firmware to a NOP.

With the help of [DD4CR] and [W7PCH], the entire radio has been reverse engineered with rewritten firmware that works with the official tools, the first attempts of scratch-built firmware built around FreeRTOS, and the beginnings of a very active development community for a $140 radio. [Travis] is looking for people who can add support for P25, D-Star, System Fusion, a proper scanner, or the ability to send and receive DMR frames over USB. All these things are possible, making this one of the most exciting radio hacks in recent memory.
owza
Call Sign: M0

Re: TYT MD380 firmware reverse engineered

Post by owza »

Presumably this hack allows programming of a fake callsign?
26TM931
Regular
Regular

Post by 26TM931 »

no just the firmware
zippy
Call Sign: 26TM537

Post by zippy »

I read this yesterday and watched the nerd video which I got the gist of but didn't understand much of it.

being a dimwit I will have to wait for the clever people to compile the hacked firmware into a file that I can just upload, promiscuous mode would be useful to an earwigger like myself.
Alinco DR135DX, Baofeng UV-5R, TYT MD380 (UHF), Realistic Pro-2035, JRC NRD-545 DSP, whitestick and ½ wave silver pole on the chimney and various lengths of wire draped around the garden.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Yeah, but if the talk groups are encrypted, then you still won;t be able to listen in, as-is my understanding anyway.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
zippy

Post by zippy »

it is just a method of getting all frequency traffic through the filters as per DSD, I haven't found any RAS or encryption used near me to date.
And they are suggesting that if they take out the 200k of Chinese fonts then there's room to stick in a D-Star codec possibly, now that would be fun, a DMR/D-Star radio for a hundred quid.
Alinco DR135DX, Baofeng UV-5R, TYT MD380 (UHF), Realistic Pro-2035, JRC NRD-545 DSP, whitestick and ½ wave silver pole on the chimney and various lengths of wire draped around the garden.
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

Mr wheety i just cannot understand why a hobby like amateur radio is pushing with this digital revolution where by a minority of operators can choose to set up a user group stopping the majority of hams from even listening into the chat, and possibly entering into the qso adding to it. The majority of the bands are fragmented as it is to add a system that can only fragment the bands further seems stupid, thing is it would be nice if the powers that be could set a system once and for all instead of having three digital systems that cannot communicate with each other.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

MW6ZAN wrote:Mr wheety i just cannot understand why a hobby like amateur radio is pushing with this digital revolution where by a minority of operators can choose to set up a user group stopping the majority of hams from even listening into the chat, and possibly entering into the qso adding to it. The majority of the bands are fragmented as it is to add a system that can only fragment the bands further seems stupid, thing is it would be nice if the powers that be could set a system once and for all instead of having three digital systems that cannot communicate with each other.

I am with you 100% on this! It promotes 'cliques' and closed-shop operations. Fair enough, promote a digital platform, but that must be open, unencrypted and subject to use by all users.

We're already thin-on-numbers, this type of thing doesn't help
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
26TM931
Regular
Regular

Post by 26TM931 »

MrWeetabix wrote:
MW6ZAN wrote:Mr wheety i just cannot understand why a hobby like amateur radio is pushing with this digital revolution where by a minority of operators can choose to set up a user group stopping the majority of hams from even listening into the chat, and possibly entering into the qso adding to it. The majority of the bands are fragmented as it is to add a system that can only fragment the bands further seems stupid, thing is it would be nice if the powers that be could set a system once and for all instead of having three digital systems that cannot communicate with each other.

I am with you 100% on this! It promotes 'cliques' and closed-shop operations. Fair enough, promote a digital platform, but that must be open, unencrypted and subject to use by all users.

We're already thin-on-numbers, this type of thing doesn't help
I cannot understand why people like your self come one these forums and complains about things before they have tried it !
but why says they are closed, encrypted and cannot be used by any one, other than getting the equipment ?
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

MW6ZAN wrote: it would be nice if the powers that be could set a system once and for all
That would hardly be keeping with the spirit of amateur radio now, would it?

CB and PMR446 are both available to anyone who wants to operate under strict rules governing the modes that may be used. The reason we have such an impressive allocation of spectrum for amateur use is quite simply to provide the means for experimentation and innovation outside of the professional realm.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

26TM931 wrote: I cannot understand why people like your self come one these forums and complains about things before they have tried it !
but why says they are closed, encrypted and cannot be used by any one, other than getting the equipment ?
A D-Star repeater keeper holds the keys to his castle. He can deny access to that service on a whim. I may prefer beer to cider and in which case, that puts me at odds with said repeater keeper, therefore he does not allow me to access D-star because we have a personal disagreement.

Tell me how that is an open platform?

MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

Guys thing is that all the amateurs have created is in fact nothing more than a mobile phone network, the mobile phone industry have been able to use conference calling between multi handsets since the mid 90s. You say try it well i know at least 4 full callsigns that have, and not one has been very happy with the end results, toys for boys comes to mind, and dam expensive as well. This digital mumbo jumbo will fragment the bands even further and over time amateur radio as a hobby for all will disappear. Thank god we have the hf bands i wonder how long its gona be before this ear splitting dam din is creating havoc on there. Also it seems very stange to me why you would want to convert analogue speech into a digital format to then tx it.On reception it has to be re converted from a digital format into analogue, and its using a lot more power to do this digital is a very power hungry technology. Also the drop out rate on digital is a lot more than an analogue signal, and as far as an amateurs advancing this tech that is pie in the sky when multinational companies like sony, microsoft etc have billions for r+d. 73 -•-
Last edited by MW6ZAN on 22 Jan 2016, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
zippy

Post by zippy »

the beauty of ham radio is that you can play with your 19th century morse code M6ZAN and some can play with 21st century digital stuff, and everyone has the choice to play with both.
as this thread is about the md380 on 70cms, therefore DMR, as far as I'm aware no one can be exluded, any 'secret' TGs would soon be sniffed out by promiscuous software easily, and I believe encryption is not allowed on ham bands, even though digital, it still has to be 'in the clear'.

so for the price of a cb you can get all the hardware and software you need to be on DMR-MARC. have a go, you may even enjoy it.
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

iv just got a md-380 and cant wait for the update
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

kr0ne wrote:
MW6ZAN wrote: it would be nice if the powers that be could set a system once and for all
That would hardly be keeping with the spirit of amateur radio now, would it?

CB and PMR446 are both available to anyone who wants to operate under strict rules governing the modes that may be used. The reason we have such an impressive allocation of spectrum for amateur use is quite simply to provide the means for experimentation and innovation outside of the professional realm.
That has to be the funniest comment, and most abused set of rules in the history of the radio hobby! :D
Like most stick to the "rules" on 446 or CB! :lol:
If its to promote experimentation and innovation, "outside of the professional realm", why do such a lot seem hell bent on "emulating" it?