A Yeticom Optima mk3 question.

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: A Yeticom Optima mk3 question.

Post by g0slq »

Googling this set and indeed all of its varieties (1, 2, 2.5! and 3) have all seemed to have had various issues. For everyone who has loved them, it seems someone else has cut their losses and got rid! Most having to increase deviation inside the rig, or add Icom microphones to make themselves louder. Only one or two happy with what they have "bog standard".

I'm a little concerned though - especially the person who was told by someone at Radiozing the dials don't light up and Yeticom advising they should. Then of course after removing the other radio from his feed, the Yeticom lit up. onder who at Radiozing said the ones they sell don't light up and why?

Shouldn't have to take pot luck with sets in this day and age - especially brand new.
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
Fones
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 29TN797

Post by Fones »

I was tempted to buy one of the v3, but after all the problems i see over the internet regarding the mic i was put off, whats with buying a new radio that you have to change the mic ? why didnt they do it at factory when they clearly know of a problem with it. Shame because it does look a nice radio, If it only done what it says on the tin
Logic will get you from A to B, Imagination will take you everywhere

29TM797 OP:Paul Location:Waterford South East Ireland
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

I know this is an old topic but i have been using the mk3 optima since it came into circulation in the uk around 3+ years and the only change i have done to it is added a icom sm 20 base mic although the original phantom mic works very well with great audio reports, the radio has never developed any common faults like its predecessors and if you get chance to own a mk3 then go for it.They are great for mobile use and easy to work 45w variable fan cooled, continuous vfo, splits, filter,memory's, lcr, no daft gimmicks like echo ,colour change, roger bleep they are a simple radio that works well.
mickymcd

Post by mickymcd »

Ive owned mine same amount of time only mods ive had to do is replace the stock mic with a icom hm36 as the phantom mic wasn't driving the power enough also ive changed the cooling fan for a better quite type as you say they are a no frills performer
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

I have just bought another mk3 this evening with the fm deviation mod done to it by radiozing i will let you know how it performs against my unmodded mk3 optimas using the standard mic and the icom hm36.
Dragonfly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM363

Post by Dragonfly »

Radiozing claim there mod lifts FM deviation from 1khz to 3khz . some pics of the circuit board might be handy .
http://www.radiozing.co.uk/optima_detail.php
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I speak with someone who has an optima Mk3 and I think he has had the 3kc mod done.

He sounds very loud, but on most of my radios he also sounds very distorted.

Maybe down to the filters in the RX stage being set narrower than 3Kc?
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Dragonfly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM363

Post by Dragonfly »

Yes the down side to loud deviation is that it can overload the front end of many radios .
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

After much deliberation..... I opted to buy a MK3 Optima direct from Yeticom... It does cost a bit more because i got hit with the import tax... But hey-ho.. I expected this...It does have some revisions carried out by Yeticom and listed on their web site... I have had the Optima in all it's guises from MK1 to Supposedly MK3 's and probobly had at least a couple of each.... The only one that i regretted selling was my original MK1 which came from Radiozing when they first came out.. It was great on SSB although a tad low on tx audio on FM which was no great deal to me... I've bought and sold many radios since i first had the MK1 and to be honest nothing compares to it... The amount of money i've probably lost doing this would probably have bought me a nice HF set.... But that's radio.. ;) ... The Optima may look a bit bland but it works so well and it's ease of use is second to none... It's a real shame that seemingly 'grey' imports have got through with defects and blighted the reputation of this neat little radio......... So having spent plenty of dosh i am now back where i was about 4 years ago... ;) ... I have just hooked the Mk3 up and will post my findings , good or bad in the coming weeks...... Happy new Year.
davev8
Regular
Regular

Post by davev8 »

JibberJabber wrote: 02 Jan 2016, 19:02 After much deliberation..... I opted to buy a MK3 Optima direct from Yeticom... It does cost a bit more because i got hit with the import tax... But hey-ho.. I expected this...It does have some revisions carried out by Yeticom and listed on their web site... I have had the Optima in all it's guises from MK1 to Supposedly MK3 's and probobly had at least a couple of each.... The only one that i regretted selling was my original MK1 which came from Radiozing when they first came out.. It was great on SSB although a tad low on tx audio on FM which was no great deal to me... I've bought and sold many radios since i first had the MK1 and to be honest nothing compares to it... The amount of money i've probably lost doing this would probably have bought me a nice HF set.... But that's radio.. ;) ... The Optima may look a bit bland but it works so well and it's ease of use is second to none... It's a real shame that seemingly 'grey' imports have got through with defects and blighted the reputation of this neat little radio......... So having spent plenty of dosh i am now back where i was about 4 years ago... ;) ... I have just hooked the Mk3 up and will post my findings , good or bad in the coming weeks...... Happy new Year.
so was this mk3 OK?
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

I am still running my mk 3 optima with the icom sm 20 and I also bought the latest version 3 with fm mod done to it,there was no difference in the tx audio between the 2 radios.i also now use a crt ss9900 which I am very happy with and some say it's a good on the tx audio as my optima.
davev8
Regular
Regular

Post by davev8 »

ROTEL240 wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 09:07 I am still running my mk 3 optima with the icom sm 20 and I also bought the latest version 3 with fm mod done to it,there was no difference in the tx audio between the 2 radios.i also now use a crt ss9900 which I am very happy with and some say it's a good on the tx audio as my optima.
i just get what i think to be a mk3 ...but on getting it home its not ...it looks like a mk2b ..it say HF transceiver on it but the lcr 4 button not say m-scan on it ....like a mk2 or mk1b..for a mk2b the SN should start with a SO64 but mine with a SO58 like a mk1b so it maybe direct from the factory and not yeticom ...hopefully will get the rig in the van today