Discone versus Amateur white stick..

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
hamman1
Regular
Regular

Re: Discone versus Amateur white stick..

Post by hamman1 »

Reading this thread with interest. I have a discone attached to my Yaesu FT7800 for listening but I would like to change it for a dual band antenna. I only want to receive 108-180 mhz anyway. No interest in military airband etc. Thinking of getting one of these cheaper versions of the diamond antenna (X-50N). The discone is not that great on TX for 2m or 70cms IMHO.

I have ordered a Diamond X50N today :)
rob12770
Banned
Banned

Post by rob12770 »

my Sirio SD-1300U discone will TX on several bands ... great antenna ! :D
hope u like your diamond.. i was not impressed.. another case of hyped up advertising..i wont ever buy diamond again.
rob12770
Banned
Banned

Post by rob12770 »

rob12770 wrote:my Sirio SD-1300U discone will TX on several bands ... great antenna ! :D
hope u like your diamond.. i was not impressed.. another case of hyped up advertising..i wont ever buy diamond again.
not sure why i quoted myself but hey ho.. :D

Just to Add,,
use the very best coax you can afford esspecially with VHF and UHF, i guess we all know that, but i didnt know how much difference it makes, :o i got Westflex 103 , its about the same diamiter as RG213 but less db loss,, the difference between decent cable Vs rg58 cheapo is night and day ! :clap:
timbo

Post by timbo »

I've been using a Discone for many years..........for hanging my underpants on to dry in front of the fire. Goes nicely with my Moonraker ADSB Radar Beam antenna, that makes a handy toast rack.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Ive been reading this with interest so I thought I would try the Discone V's whitestick experiment. I had my Discone up 21 foot off the ground, It's the one with the vertical element and it's fed with RG213 coax, Worked ok but then I swapped it over for an X300 whitestick on the same 21 foot pole and RG213 coax and the difference is amazing, The X300 is pulling in stations much much better than the Discone. Poor old Discone is now thrown behind the greenhouse where it can rot :lol:
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

NightProwler wrote:Ive been reading this with interest so I thought I would try the Discone V's whitestick experiment. I had my Discone up 21 foot off the ground, It's the one with the vertical element and it's fed with RG213 coax, Worked ok but then I swapped it over for an X300 whitestick on the same 21 foot pole and RG213 coax and the difference is amazing, The X300 is pulling in stations much much better than the Discone. Poor old Discone is now thrown behind the greenhouse where it can rot :lol:
Within the bands the white stick will effectively cover, it will have the edge due to its gain over the discone.
The wideband nature of the discone might mean some spectrum it effectively covers, versus the white sticks overall coverage, may mean occasionally on certain frequencies it has the edge.
Ideally leave both up and swap feeders to suit.
Skirge
Regular
Regular

Post by Skirge »

I have found this thread very helpful after trying to decide what aerial to get to go with my RTL dongle and SR#. I opted for the white stick and bought a Watson W-50 and I have to say I am very very impressed so far, its been up a couple of days and I am having superb fun.
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

what about the eurostick dx 25-2000mhz is this the same as the amateur white stick ??? i have a disconne in my loft and was thinking of trying a white stick !!
love your familly
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

I have both..and to be honest I favour the cone really..had more contacts on 2m and more listening on the scanner..putting the discone
in the loft after Christmas.