Pic Programmer

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
Dragonfly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM363

Pic Programmer

Post by Dragonfly »

The son purchased me a RaspberryPi mini computer and I came across this design for a Pic programmer so im having a go a building one , its abought half built in this pic I took last night ,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dragonfly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Pic Programmer

Post by Dragonfly »

Never heard of these RaspberryPi things till my son landed home with two , His is the red top of the range and mine is the standard one .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Nice!

Have you played around with the GPIO pins on the Pi yet? If you install the wiringPi library you can even read them and flick them hi/lo from a bash script or the command line!

*loads* of fun to be had thataway.... :D just be careful with them as they are apparently directly connected to the core of the CPU - so no grabbing hold of them while moonwalking around the carpet!
Dragonfly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Dragonfly »

Cheers for the tip . Only had this Raspberry a few days so far and been working but im off Monday Tuesday so will have a decent play with it .
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I've got one in a drawer somewhere.

Got it for an XBMC rig, sadly the 'HDMI' isn't 1080, nearer to 640x480.

Might get it out again one day and hook up an RTL.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Admiral wrote:I've got one in a drawer somewhere.

Got it for an XBMC rig, sadly the 'HDMI' isn't 1080, nearer to 640x480.

Might get it out again one day and hook up an RTL.
I played around using one as a remote ethernet head for an RTL dongle using rtl-tcp component of the Osmocom package. Even wrote a simple shell script to monitor any frequency changes and switch some front end filters in and out using the GPIO.

I gave up on this approach in the end though as i found that I couldn't reliably get the bandwidth I wanted. I always suspected that this was because the ethernet port on the Pi is actually connected through the built in hub attached to the Pi's single USB port...
Dragonfly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Dragonfly »

Here is the Plan im working from , And few other interesting projects on this page . http://www.techmeology.co.uk/rpipic/
Here is a programmer without the diagnostic LED,s http://holdenc.altervista.org/rpp/
Cowthief
Banned
Banned
Call Sign: KA5PIU

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

Although the Raspberry Pi looks neat, remember that ALL functions are done with 1 IC.
Want good throughput on ethernet? throttle back on all other functions.
Things like TV sets have purpose built chips, and can do little more.
The Pi is so versatile as it has no one embedded purpose, not optimized.
With that said and an understanding of the limitations, pacing tasks works well.
Pick up a smartphone, it will pause if several tasks are presented but gives priority to the user, as it should be.
But, the Pi is cheap, and can do oh so much more than lets say a basic stamp.
I am elated to hear of someone who has the desire to experiment!
Thank you!