Digital scanning for newbie

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
moj

Re: Digital scanning for newbie

Post by moj »

Just as radiosifcation said in his thread and hes even made videos trying to help people out there on youtube and like me been into digital scanning scene on this forum for a long time so we know what we are talking about , there is only a few bits of software out there and these wont crack any encryption codes And it sounds like your hoping to somehow read the privacy codes over the air which trust me you havent got a chance in hell plus motorola has just brought out a load of new security updates in there newest firmware so you will be hearing a lot more squeaks and squeals and slurring speech when scanning about your area especially seeing as most these updates are sent over the air to the radios etc.

Also you were talking about the cellular tower attack that the fbi were known for doing with a certain piece of equipment they had so they could monitor a certain phone or phones that came in the close vicinty but again joe public wont be able to get this kind of equipment and your basic linux programming like the projects like osmocom that are out there isnt a walk in the park either ,the closest i got was doing the dect phones and that was a nitemare and a lot of linux programing and a special antenna card so i guess your gonna have to do a lot more research or learn quantum physics or work for the nsa before you get to hear cellular transmissions or tetra here in the uk which you think is easily done but honestly have you seen anyone show you any recorded proof on any of these secure transmissions on this forum yet ?

sooner or later sadly even using dsd with sdr will be useless to us so watch this space in the very near future ;)
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

im thankful that we can listen to digital things using the software. However the ones that use encryption really annoy me. Most of the cases are that they have nothing to hide and it's just making scanning harder to listen to things.... The stupid suppliers advise encryption for things like a taxi service or a warehouse, in reality these things don't need encryption and its ruining our hobby.
Radioshane
Call Sign: Shanesradio

Post by Radioshane »

it was a good question!
Radioshane

Post by Radioshane »

Yes I agree excaliber in USA if anyone goes encrypted there all up in arms but here no one bothers I wonder why?
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

Radioshane wrote:it was a good question!
Fantastic argument. It was so good I couldn't even think of a return argument! :clap:
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
Radioshane

Post by Radioshane »

radioisification/what was the audio on your you tube tetra recording?
it sounded like cops!
Also is a asus n56vm 15.6 core i7 8gb ram any good for digital decoding and usung a rtl str ?
If it isn't could some one recommend a good laptop?
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

radiosification wrote:
Radioshane wrote:it was a good question!
Fantastic argument. It was so good I couldn't even think of a return argument! :clap:
Haha! Deffo worth the 7+ month wait... :lol:

I'm more interested in what Lumiya's limitations are though :?
Radioshane wrote:lumiya its you who have the limitations
M3VBS
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by M3VBS »

Radioshane wrote:Yes I agree excaliber in USA if anyone goes encrypted there all up in arms but here no one bothers I wonder why?
A small piece of legislation (the WTA ) putting you on something of a back foot when lobbying for support in reducing encryption!
Radioshane

Post by Radioshane »

is the laptop any good I mentioned?
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Why not try it and see?
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

abrahim456 wrote:Hello..
please, anyone, tell me how to scan digitally my documents and also I want to know that How I Find and View Scanned Documents? please suggest me because I am beginner in this stream so please guys help me?
I am assuming that English isn't your first language and that you found this article through google and Google translate, given your German IP address.

This thread is discussing RADIO scanning. The reception of radio signals, which can be either Analogue or Digital. You should speak to your local Computer Repair shop about getting a document scanner to transfer physical documents to computerised (digital) copies.

Viel Glück mein Freund. :-)
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

My thirty quid 2.4Ghz wireless all-in-one scanner/printer/fax/copier just does what it says on the tin, put in document, press 'scan' on my puter, and 10 seconds later I have a .PDF file that I can place anywhere on my computer.

The only issues you can possibly get in 2017 is if you're using obsolete hardware or software, but most 'retro' enthusiasts know their shἰt anyway and can tweak drivers etc.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I'm very confused by some of the thoughts here. Why would any user who is offered the choice of wigging in or not wigging in options remotely want to be public? Most don't even think about it, but if they asked the question of their dealer "can my radio system be made to not be listenable to by somebody with a scanner?" and the dealer said yes - why would anyone say no. Our hobby is a nosey one, always misunderstood and always distrusted. Why don't we send letters in open envelopes? We don't need to lick them and stick them down. Why do the computers in the bank have screen overlays so only the bank person can read them - the info on the screen is about my account, why can't I view it? Why do we vote inside a little screen so people cannot see? People like privacy, few really need it, but we like it. If Kenwood's latest adverts for radios said Buy the new XYZ amazing radio, smaller, lighter, longer life and so easy for people to listen in to, they wouldn't sell that many would they. How many slightly knowledgeable people believe CTCSS is there to stop people listening in? If you make privacy easy, people will go for it. The hobby has this as an end game, eventually. In the meantime, user by user, the game gets harder. A year ago, there were very few business digital systems around here. Now there are lots. Some are encrypted, some not - but slowly the creep is on the move.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

At the end of the day, in the UK at least, the hobby of 'scanning' is illegal. Yes, that's right...illegal. In the UK it is still illegal to listen to transmissions that are not intended for you, unless it's CB/HAM radio or Broadcast radio (as I understand it).

We have no rights, no say nor influence at all on how radio comms will develop and if I were selling radios today, I would be selling radios with encryption AS STANDARD to all my customers, as it's now as-simple as filling in an extra field while programming or enabling it through a menu...... and here's where the real heart of the matter lies..... technological advancement.

The pace of development in radio technology is the real reason why this hobby both exists and is now under threat. When radio was first thrust upon the public, it was basic, it was analogue, it was open, because the technology behind it was basic, analogue and open. It was that way for many years, so as more and more people took it up, there were those who quickly realised that they could listen in! Now, the vast amount of people may not care about that, or even think about it, but as technology advanced further and more importantly, as radios became CHEAPER, it then put transmitters capable of talking-back to users in a lot more people's hands. So then nuggets start talking back, or keying/jamming users, or stalking firms and stealing their business (think of taxi firms etc)..... which creates a need to solve the problem. This either drove people to mobile phones or to look at securing their comms, as happened with the Police. At first, it was expensive. The Police could afford it and they had a need to spend money to get it..... so the Police went first and we all moaned about no longer being able to listen-in (sound familiar?). Today, as more and more radios come with encryption baked-in to them, it's little wonder that more and more users are using it. You can get very basic security with a sub £20 radio now.... it's a no-brainer.

The Glory days are gone, those die-hards with time and deep pockets will be able to pursue software/hardware which will (inevitably) become powerful enough to decrypt comms in real-time, but then the manufacturers will advance their technology again and produce better encryption and/or hardware to counter that, and so the cycle continues.

It's now an arms race for the computer nerd and not the radio geek. RIP 'scanning hobby', it's been fun :-D
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
moj

Post by moj »

As Mr Weetabix said and described it perfect it's only a matter of time now and the clock is slowly ticking down till scanning goes quiet again after everything encrypt's and in theory most of us have shot ourselve's in the foot with all the video's bragging saying here's my local pubwatch etc and buy a cheap Chinese tyt radio and you can hear your local security and don't worry about needing a licence to use a radio attitude so sadly it's bound to happen soon .

so enjoy it while we still can and be prepared for all your whistler's , uniden's and aor scanners to be useless on digital again soon and yeah it's def been fun .