Advice Needed.

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Bassman
Regular
Regular

Advice Needed.

Post by Bassman »

I just got a Manor Kestrel rig off Ebay,but somethings not quite right.It seems to be deaf,but that could be due to the lack of breakers in this part of N.I.However,when trying to check SWR,ther is NO needle movement in the FWD position on TX.Twig is a make shift dipole.Also, the lights dim noticably on TX,but the PSU is pushing 15v.
3rd and lastly,should there be any sound from the speaker with the mike unplugged and squelch open.?
Sorry to land all this at once,but I'm anxious to get back on channel after a 20 year break.
Cheers.
Keep Music Live!!
chipspice
Regular
Regular

RE: Advice Needed.

Post by chipspice »

Hi Bassman, that sounds rather strange. At first I was going to say that it sounds like the radio isn't giving any output power but you say that the light on the radio dims when you transmit which would suggest otherwise. First thing to do is check all connections between the antenna and SWR meter - make sure that there is no coax shorting out in the PL259 plugs you have made to the antenna - I assume you made a patch lead up yourself or maybe it's an old one from when you used to be on the CB years ago?

Have you read the articles onthis site about setting up an SWR meter? It's here:
http://www.transmission1.co.uk/index.ph ... cle&sid=11

Let us know when you have tested your cables and we will see what happens! Also some radio do not give any audio without a microphone lead plugged in so this is quite normal, nothing to worry about.

Good luck! :)
Bassman
Regular
Regular

Post by Bassman »

OK Chipspice and thanx for replying.The patch chex out OK,and I do believe there is output because as a quick test,I tuned a HF receiver to near enough channel 1, altho in AM,not FM,and got a full scale deflection on the HF receiver.Also as you say.the panel lights dim noticably on TX,which is hopeful.But the SWR meter is showing no movement at all,even when I hooked up my scanning antenna,so thats 2 different twigs,same result.Unfortunately,where I live I dont know of any other breakers so I cant do a rig check on-air.I also seem to remember that any rigs I had in the past were silent until the mike was plugged in,but maybe it's just me memory.
Anyhoo,thanx for your input mate.Any other thoughts? :?
Keep Music Live!!
chipspice
Regular
Regular

Post by chipspice »

No problem, the only other thing I can think of checking out is the Antenna in case of any problems there. If you have a "dummy load" then you can confirm that the radio is working properly by running the radio and swr meter straight into this. Of course, it is also possible that your SWR meter could be faulty?! Do you know anyone you could borrow one off just to confirm?
Bassman
Regular
Regular

Post by Bassman »

Sorry for not replying sooner my friend.I took the matter up with the guy who sold me the rig on Ebay and we agreed that it may have been faulty, so he refunded my money and told me to keep the rig.Since then I've checked a few things,tried other SWR meters,changed co-ax etc.but the problem is still there,so I guess its a duff rig.Ah well I'll just keep looking .Cheers!
Keep Music Live!!