GMDSS AND CAA

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
cmaclean55
Regular
Regular

GMDSS AND CAA

Post by cmaclean55 »

Has anyone sat the GMDSS and CAA OFfshore courses?

I am looking to possibly sit these courses to try and get a start offshore in the next 6 months. Doing the BOSIET and MIST in May.

Just wondering how intense the GMDSS is, I done a few quiz tests from the http://www.amerc.ac.uk/quiz/ page and getting 60% plus without revision.

I already hold a SRC through my work.

One of the radio operator jobs offshore I saw advertised had a crazy rotation of 1 on 4 off........weeks that is!
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: GMDSS AND CAA

Post by Windy_Miller »

Used to work offshore. The RO job changed hugely in that time, although thats not what I did. When I first was offshore, it was all Sailor sets, both on VHF and MF/HF and a knowledge of what was what was what important. MF was our sole link to shore. Then it went to tropo scatter, then satellite. MF at that time became a curiosity. Still there is case of cases. Any need to contact Shetland or Aberdeen Coastguard became a phone call rather than tweaking the old Sailor receiver and pushing the preselect TX buttons like an old 405 line TV! They replaced it with some synthesised kit with a remote head, and a transceiver / ATU the size of a desktop pc in the switchroom in case of emergencies, but I never recall using it in anger.

In the latter days, even 16 years ago when I was last out there, the RO was little more than a clerk and secretary. The various departments, Production, Materials, Helideck, Deck Crew, had their own VHF's and worked vessels directly. MF was history unless the phones went down.
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

In fact, it looked like this! This is what we used to phone home on via a link call to Wick Radio!

cmaclean55
Regular
Regular

Post by cmaclean55 »

Cheers for the info Windy Miller, I can imagine it has moved on quite a bit.

Here is the job advert :-)

https://www.employment.harris.com/viewj ... esc=Indeed
MW0SWA
Call Sign: MW0SWA

Post by MW0SWA »

Im thinking of doing one of these one day SRC courses, just to get another radio qualification under my belt.
My question is does the license run out after a period of time or is it yours to permanently own just like the radio amateur license categories?
I am a bit crazy about the Realistic DX-394
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

As far as I am aware, once you have it, you have it and it doesn't expire.
Gaygordon
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0xxx

Post by Gaygordon »

RedDragon wrote:Im thinking of doing one of these one day SRC courses, just to get another radio qualification under my belt.
My question is does the license run out after a period of time or is it yours to permanently own just like the radio amateur license categories?

I have the SRC. Exam is dead easy and once issued it doesn't expire
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

cmaclean55 wrote:Has anyone sat the GMDSS and CAA OFfshore courses?

I am looking to possibly sit these courses to try and get a start offshore in the next 6 months. Doing the BOSIET and MIST in May.

Just wondering how intense the GMDSS is, I done a few quiz tests from the http://www.amerc.ac.uk/quiz/ page and getting 60% plus without revision.

I already hold a SRC through my work.
Have been looking at the GOC course lately to update some of the satellite comms skills. It seems fairly intense - at least 8 or 9 days course, and 1 or 2 days exam, depending which college you look at doing it at.