RSGB RADCOM GRIPE

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
JohnB57
Call Sign: G0SJB

Re: RSGB RADCOM GRIPE

Post by JohnB57 »

porky.69 wrote:far to many adverts in it. needs bringing upto date :thumbdown:
Just out of interest. What do you think pays for Radcom?

Answer = the adverts. Fewer adverts means fewer articles or, more likely, no Radcom at all. It's not really a difficult concept to grasp - just turn over if you don't like them.

And to repeat a point I made to the OP, if you think it needs bringing up to date, submit a few up-to-date articles for publication.
Tarambor
Banned
Banned

Post by Tarambor »

MW6ZAN wrote: would not it be nice for once to have some content even a small percentage aimed at the lower of the low maybe a page or two for foundation level, as the RSGB has quite a number of M3 and M6 not forgetting the intermediate lads on there membership lists.
You mean like the "Getting Started In..." series they've been running for ages on a monthly basis?

I found this article on "Getting Started on Amateur Radio Satellites" from March 2007 Radcom so they've been doing it a while.

http://ukamsat.files.wordpress.com/2011 ... _mar07.pdf

Do you actually get Radcom because its obvious you don't actually read it.

It would appear that the only problem with Radcom is the same as the other thread about amateur radio you started - YOU. You seem to want someone to come round your house, spoon feed you everything and do it all for you.
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

Thank you all for the many replies to my post gets the brain thinking dont it. But sugar coat it as much as you like i stand by my comments, the plain truth is that RADCOM is an outdated mag and needs to be put down, and it does not represent the new breed of radio ham. I dare you to look back at 12 issues of the mag and see the actual content on the letter page submitted by M3 M6 licence holders. Dominated by full calls in fact 99%, this also applies to the OFCOM litmus test online site the content was yet again dominated by you guessed it full callsigns. I would add that venom bitterness shown was so bad that OFCOM shut down the site nice. But the actual ones affected by any changes was the lowest of the low and not the ones shouting the loudest ie FULL CALLSIGNES who in fact were not going to be affected by the change in any way. 73de
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

TARZAN, it's the club journal - not a magazine! Not sure which part of that you don't get but there is a big difference and RadCom manages to achieve exactly what it is intended to, with a load of extras on top...

As for there being more letters from non-foundation licence holders than there are from foundation licence holders, what planet are you on?

I see plenty of letters from foundation license holders as it is, but when you consider that only around 20% of the amateur radio licenses in the UK are foundation class (and that a large number of these will be held by people who also hold intermediate and/or full licenses), why do you suppose there might be fewer letters from foundation licence holders printed each month than there are from all other classes of license combined?

Have you ever written a letter in yourself?

I'd also be interested to know how long you have been a member... care to tell us or do I need to trawl through my back issues to find your call sign in the new members roll?
Last edited by kr0ne on 13 Apr 2014, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
Tarambor
Banned
Banned

Post by Tarambor »

MW6ZAN wrote:Thank you all for the many replies to my post gets the brain thinking dont it. But sugar coat it as much as you like i stand by my comments, the plain truth is that RADCOM is an outdated mag and needs to be put down, and it does not represent the new breed of radio ham.
You mean the foundation license malingerer who got it just to try and legitimise their 27.555 and 446 activity? That is not the new breed of radio ham. The new breed of radio hams are interested in computer connectivity, SDR radio and its possibilities. They don't sit for years on a foundation license. My club finished a foundation course a couple of weeks ago. Every single person who did it is starting their intermediate in a few weeks. The majority of new amateurs are not like you sitting there on a M6 coming up with ever more tenuous reasons why they can't progress.

Just think, if you'd put as much effort into taking the exam as you have finding reasons why you apparently can't you'd have had your intermediate already.
I dare you to look back at 12 issues of the mag and see the actual content on the letter page submitted by M3 M6 licence holders. Dominated by full calls in fact 99%, this also applies to the OFCOM litmus test online site the content was yet again dominated by you guessed it full callsigns. I would add that venom bitterness shown was so bad that OFCOM shut down the site nice. But the actual ones affected by any changes was the lowest of the low and not the ones shouting the loudest ie FULL CALLSIGNES who in fact were not going to be affected by the change in any way. 73de
Here we go.....

Your complaint was that there wasn't anything aimed at foundation license holders in Radcom then once it had been pointed out to you that they've been running the "Getting Started In" series every month for at least 7 years you've now shifted the goalposts to the letter section. I've only got a couple of copies here as I give them to a friend but looking at one of the copies I have, January 2013, half a page of the letters section with another half for reply, MORE THAN HALF OF THE TWO PAGE LETTERS SECTION was given over to a 2E0 asking about Bletchley Park and MKARS. Again in the April 2014 is a letter from a 2E0. Given there were 10 letters that makes the none-full license contribution 10%. Hardly the 99% domination of full calls you claim.

If things are dominated by full calls, especially the litmus test, it is because the foundation license holders aren't contributing in equal numbers. However of course there are going to be more full call signs than foundations because most people bother to progress in the hobby. If there are more foundation licenses than full calls then that shows the system is massively broken.

You seem to be under the misplaced impression that you're owed something by the hobby and those within it. You're not. Stop trying to blame everyone else for the problems you have which are entirely of your own making.
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

GOTCH but it did get the old brains going hihi.:D n/b i would like to say if i have upset any one im really sorry and im working on my intermediate seeing if its possible to do it via the RAIBC i have been a member of the club since may 2012 also im getting totally peed off with the constant freeloader and corn flakes cardboard licence jibes from the full licence.I came into ham radio from short wave listening and not cb radio so please cut the jibes and due to health problems i shall do the next step when im ready and not when told to do so. 73 de
WhiteNoisePoetry

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry »

ZAN's trolling crap is getting on my nerves now!

73 de WNP (who can at least string a sentence together properly AND use punctuation)..
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

MW6ZAN wrote:GOTCH but it did get the old brains going hihi.:D n/b i would like to say if i have upset any one im really sorry and im working on my intermediate seeing if its possible to do it via the RAIBC i have been a member of the club since may 2012 also im getting totally peed off with the constant freeloader and corn flakes cardboard licence jibes from the full licence.I came into ham radio from short wave listening and not cb radio so please cut the jibes and due to health problems i shall do the next step when im ready and not when told to do so. 73 de
:| The very best of luck with the IL But I think you really need to get off your high horse about full licencees Pete because you are in danger of doing the very thing you despise. I really hate people being bullied due to their abilities but it works both ways too!!!!!
:eh: It seems to me that you are using the bad quasi bigoted behavior of a tiny minority to catagorise the majority of good radio amatuers. I also started my radio journey in childhood as a SWL but then later on I grew interested in CB which led me to ham radio via a very long path and a good few years later.

:) On joining an amatuer radio society I found the people to be very accomodating and some went to extraordinary lengths to help me with my endeavours .

These days I am a member of the Banbury society and the atmosphere at my local club is very good indeed where we welcome anybody who has a radio interest ;)

During the few years of being a radio amatuer I have only encountered the 'elitist' attitude on a few occasions so its simply not true that the 'full licencees' have got it in for you. There are some marvelous people on this forum that will support you in any way they can and they will also encourage you in your own endevours.... most of them also hold a 'full' licence BTW . :) My advice is to live and let live and just try to be a bit happier OM ;)
kindest regards Adrian
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

MW6ZAN wrote:GOTCH but it did get the old brains going hihi.:D n/b i would like to say if i have upset any one im really sorry and im working on my intermediate seeing if its possible to do it via the RAIBC i have been a member of the club since may 2012 also im getting totally peed off with the constant freeloader and corn flakes cardboard licence jibes from the full licence.I came into ham radio from short wave listening and not cb radio so please cut the jibes and due to health problems i shall do the next step when im ready and not when told to do so. 73 de
You even have a cornflake packet as your avatar WTF? {bnghd}
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

ZAN, you complete and utter tool!

You joined the RSGB and got a years subscription to RadCom, postage paid, for £1!!!!! {bnghd}

On a hunch, I grabbed the August 2013 edition from the shelf and look what I found...

So, either you are a complete idiot or you are simply trolling...

Either way: buh-bye! :wave:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by kr0ne on 13 Apr 2014, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
CookieRaider
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: M0RMO

Post by CookieRaider »

Ahh i think i get it
... sorry my eyesight aint that good :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Winner of the coveted 'In Before The Lock' competition 07 Jan 2013
Winner of the coveted 'In Before The Lock' competition 24 June 2013
inaugural champion of the coveted "Putting sex before trivial internet games" award November 2013
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

They have a saying in the gaming World that fits quite well, OWNED! haha
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Haha, yeah thanks CookieRaider - Photobucket are zapping the image size for some reason... It's supposed to blow up to a readable size when you click it but they don't seem to like large images anymore! Gits.

Still PMSL though, what a plonker ZAN is!
MW6ZAN wrote:the RSGB is nothing more than a quango as is TV LICENCING set up to extort as much money as possible from the well fleeced and gullible among us also shows the utter contempt they have for the membership and the hobby. HAPPY DAYS. 73 de
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

kr0ne wrote:Haha, yeah thanks CookieRaider - Photobucket are zapping the image size for some reason... It's supposed to blow up to a readable size when you click it but they don't seem to like large images anymore! Gits.

Still PMSL though, what a plonker ZAN is!
MW6ZAN wrote:the RSGB is nothing more than a quango as is TV LICENCING set up to extort as much money as possible from the well fleeced and gullible among us also shows the utter contempt they have for the membership and the hobby. HAPPY DAYS. 73 de
Tore the £1 right out of his hands, the thieving swines. By the way your image did go to full size when I kept clicking.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

The cheek of them! :D

(That's good - I've been messing around with the Photobucket settings and editing the link in the post since about 3 seconds after I first posted it... ;) )