solar panels

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Re: solar panels

Post by cjay »

Fairly simple to calculate the current.

1 amp at 12 volts is 12 watts, 1.2 watts is therefore a tenth of an amp or 100 milliamps.

The 19v you measured is the open circuit voltage, it will drop as you saw when you try to pull current from it, if you'd measured the current with the fan attached you'd have been able to work out how much power the panel was making.

All you need to do is multiply the voltage by the current and bingo, there's your available power.

The current will be limited by the size of the panel and the available sunlight, the brighter the sun the more current will be available up to the maximum the panel can produce which in your case is a tenth of an amp.

Most rigs will draw two or three times that on receive, on transmit they'll draw much more.

Your panel will help keep the battery topped up but it won't keep up with the power that's being drawn from the battery by the rig.

For free, definitely nothing to grumble about. Just don't expect miracles from it.
handyguy2002

Post by handyguy2002 »

thank you Cjay that was a great help..
Binatone 950
QuanSheng TG-UV2
TYT 380 + TYT 9600
Kirisun S780
Uniden +BCT15x + BCD396t +BCD536 hp
HYTERA PD505
WHISTLER TRX2
JayGonzales
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by JayGonzales »

handyguy2002 wrote:hi guys

heres an idea I came across while searching for solar panels,,,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfUxDfKlbfE
now I know this guy has done this has done this radio in a case, but so have some of you guys,, but have any one of you guys used solar panels to power your radios,
now i think this is a great idea using solar panels,,,

problem I have is, could you use a smaller backpack and smaller panel to power your radio,,,,
It is not new concept.. You will find more good options available in the market..
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

Extremely old hat. Radios have been powered by solar panels since somewhere approximating the dawn of satellite communications.

Up here, all the radios are powered by wind turbines!
JayGonzales
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by JayGonzales »

JayGonzales wrote:
handyguy2002 wrote:hi guys

heres an idea I came across while searching for
solar kits,,,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfUxDfKlbfE
now I know this guy has done this has done this radio in a case, but so have some of you guys,, but have any one of you guys used solar panels to power your radios,
now i think this is a great idea using solar panels,,,

problem I have is, could you use a smaller backpack and smaller panel to power your radio,
It is not new concept.. You will find more good options available in the market..