Discone versus Amateur white stick..

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
phillmobile
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Discone versus Amateur white stick..

Post by phillmobile »

Dagnabbit wrote:I thought I read somewhere once that a discone is horizontally polarised (i.e. from the disc rather than the cone) so that might account for dramatic differences?
Yes i too beleive they are horizontally polarised
Monsta
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Monsta »

troffasky wrote:
Monsta wrote:Lets do some Math!
Let's do some Reading!:
troffasky wrote:improvising radomes for outdoor wifi stuff was...stick it in a microwave oven
I've highlighted the key word, now after reading it again, do you still think I was suggesting putting an antenna in the microwave? Or is there possibly a different, more plausible, explanation?

:shock:
hmmm...okay
so you are suggesting putting one of THESE in a Microwave? ...now it makes sense!
sorry to have doubted you brother ...

10/11: Anytone AT-5555, President Lincoln - Astatic Audio
HF: Kenwood TS2000 ,Kenwood G707, Heil Goldline,
troffasky

Post by troffasky »

Woosh.
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

Troffasky is talking about testing suitable materials (eg black tape, read back a page Monsta) for wrapping an antenna with.
And troffasky, few materials will not warm in a microwave, though I get your point. If it sparks, its a non starter. :D

And no, Discones are not horizontally polarised.
g7kxm
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G7KXM

Post by g7kxm »

phillmobile wrote:
Dagnabbit wrote:I thought I read somewhere once that a discone is horizontally polarised (i.e. from the disc rather than the cone) so that might account for dramatic differences?
Yes i too beleive they are horizontally polarised
I'm sure i've read in the "bible", Radio Communications Handbook (published by RSGB) that the discone is vertically polarised, I haven't got it to hand but I do have the book "International Antenna Collection" with me and it has a design project for the discone which starts:

"The discone is a vertically polarised broadband aerial which exhibits a VSWR of 1.5:1 or better over a wide range of frequencies."

If my memory is right (which I often doubt) the discone is a bicone dipole with the top cone flattened to increase bandwidth therefore if mounted in its usual manner i.e. driven element (disc horizontal) and the counterpoise (cone/wires) pointing down at an angle it is the same as a vertically polarised dipole.... but I have been known to be wrong :-)
Andy.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

I'd agree with that, Andy. The two 'elements' (the disc and the cone) are stacked vertically so the polarisation will be predominantly vertical, although I suspect the polarisation is less 'clean' than a simple dipole.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

it depends on the discone, some only have horizontal elements and diagonal ground radials,
then there's the ones with the vertical top element that you can TX on..

the majority you seem to buy have the vertical top element, but also the horizontal elements (the disc) are also part of the radiator.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
EddieP
Regular
Regular

Post by EddieP »

As this is aimed at us newbies, can someone give some model numbers of suitable white sticks to look into please. I'm not sure what constitutes an amateur white stick, but a model number or 2 that are proven to work well will be a good starting point for research.
JGR
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by JGR »

Well you have a choice such as the SHARMAN'S V-2000 covers 50Mhz to 500Mhz approximately and if you wish to take it higher than this say into the 1200Mhz range then a few antennas offer a 146 to 1200MHz. There are many others but the Sharmans offer a better priced product even though they are copies of other major manufactures. Sorry for not listing a whole list of antennas but there is far too many versions to list here, so I Hope that this helps you get an idea of what it is your searching for.
Do not believe everything that is in black and white.
Oh and prestigious Winner of "In Before The Lock June 2014"
Flex 5000A, Trio TS-830S, Icom IC-E2820, IC-E92D and a DVB-T SDR Dongle
bigtee

Post by bigtee »

Using the Watson W-30 it knocks spots off a discone i use it for all my scanning needs either air band 120 mhz marine 156 mhz or pmr 450+ mhz it will tx just fine out of the amateur band at around 446 i use low power.

The key is height and no surrounding buildings for optimum range mine is outside 40ft up in the air it would work from the loft.
bear

Post by bear »

I have just purchased a Sharman X-30, and I am delighted with it so far.
Thank you to all of those giving their views on it. To us relative newcomers to scanning, you are most helpful.
So...to anyone else who was in my position and maybe clueless on which antenna to buy, go for the X-30, I don't think you will regret it
bigbassman
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by bigbassman »

I'm using an X30 for receiving only,and I'm wondering how important it is to have the 3 radials installed?I'm using it with a scanner,and it would be much easier to install it where I want if it didn't have the radials attached.Would this affect performance?I'm thinking not,but I would appreciate some opinions.Thanx
2 X PRO 2006 1 X DX-394 1 X GRE PSR 282 1 X UBC780XLT with ProScan 1 X Pro43 1 X Yaesu FRG 100 Uniden 125 XLT LCL 2740.
Volvo
Regular
Regular

Post by Volvo »

Hi I have just read with interest the pros and cons,discone verses white stick.I am in the same prodick
PSR295 SBS1er Auroa ssx Bct15x
Volvo
Regular
Regular

Post by Volvo »

Hi I have just read with interest the pros and cons,discone verses white stick.I am in the same position. I have a BCT15x and was un sure which antenna to use, having read your reports I think I will go with the stick. I will let you now how I get on
Pete
PSR295 SBS1er Auroa ssx Bct15x
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

To be honest, i just hope my white stick holds up in these gales :( on another note i've been listening and broadcasting on my white stick and have to admit
i was sure i picked up more with the discone?