A Yeticom Optima mk3 question.

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Re: A Yeticom Optima mk3 question.

Post by Oggy »

mof000 wrote:
kingmoff wrote:
Transmission1 wrote:Yes, I might be around. Let me know if you are going mobile and I'll try and meet up on the band next weekend. I need to get my mobile station active again ;) I might even run the Optima :) I can't comment on the Mk2 or Mk3 as I've never tried them but if you've got a good one keep it. Seems like quality varies from one batch to another. Another radio that bugged the hell out of me was the Magnum S9, some were great, others not so... quality control :roll:
Can you pm me your mobile. I've changed my number Simon. Just been outside sorting the new mobile set up and I've decided to keep the Optima in the house :lol: {bnghd}
So the Kucha Hans DX 5000 is demoted to the car. So my plans of having a smaller rig in the car has now gone out the window. {bnghd}
Show off!!
LOL :lol:

I have the same problem, keep buying nice 10 meter radios for mobile and then think they are too good to put a bracket on :lol:
The latest Range 2950DX3 the latest example of this
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

I need to get my mobile station active again ;) I might even run the Optima :) I can't comment on the Mk2 or Mk3 as I've never tried them but if you've got a good one keep it. Seems like quality varies from one batch to another. Another radio that bugged the hell out of me was the Magnum S9, some were great, others not so... quality control :roll:[/quote]
Can you pm me your mobile. I've changed my number Simon. Just been outside sorting the new mobile set up and I've decided to keep the Optima in the house :lol: {bnghd}
So the Kucha Hans DX 5000 is demoted to the car. So my plans of having a smaller rig in the car has now gone out the window. {bnghd}[/quote]

Show off!![/quote]
LOL :lol:

Show off!!!!

I have the same problem, keep buying nice 10 meter radios for mobile and then think they are too good to put a bracket on :lol:
The latest Range 2950DX3 the latest example of this[/quote]
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

Pack it in you lot! I'm looking for a small, compact radio for the car (I already own well over a dozwn HF and export sets) If i get an Optima and DON'T put it in the car I will have to buy another.
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
kingmoff

Post by kingmoff »

g0slq wrote:Pack it in you lot! I'm looking for a small, compact radio for the car (I already own well over a dozwn HF and export sets) If i get an Optima and DON'T put it in the car I will have to buy another.
Getting great reports from mine. Would work well from the car with the 50 watts out the arse end. If you get one hopefully it's a good one. Good luck.
Rockape846
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM1609

Post by Rockape846 »

I purchased a mk3(hope it is, dials don't light up on mine.Is this normal?) from radiozing.

Audio is quiet on fm, ssb is ok, worked 20/21/1, had good reports on the sound of the radio. Purchased an icom hm-36 to see if it made fm any louder, reports said yes a little but very trebley, almost no bass or mid tones, improved ssb audio no end too.
Try owt once, twice if you like it
kingmoff

Post by kingmoff »

Rockape846 wrote:I purchased a mk3(hope it is, dials don't light up on mine.Is this normal?) from radiozing.

Audio is quiet on fm, ssb is ok, worked 20/21/1, had good reports on the sound of the radio. Purchased an icom hm-36 to see if it made fm any louder, reports said yes a little but very trebley, almost no bass or mid tones, improved ssb audio no end too.
Behind the knobs on mine light up. I'd be contacting them and getting another one sent out or that one tuned up and sorted.
Rockape846
Regular
Regular

Post by Rockape846 »

Had phone call from a chap at radiozing to say that the ones they have don't light up. Waiting an a reply from Yeticom to confirm one way or the other
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

So are they not the same set? - is it a question of QC, or are the sets Yeticom providing from their website their own and the rest of the imported ones direct from the manufacturer? - read somewhere the manufacturer had sold their own- might explain some dissatisfied customers and how importers get their hands on the sets.
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
kingmoff

Post by kingmoff »

Have look on my Youtube and check my videos and see if yours lights up the same. As for audio this is how mine sounds on ssb ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swStK20YDgQ
Rockape846
Regular
Regular

Post by Rockape846 »

Had an email back from yeticom, the dials are back lit, if it isn't then there is a problem. I've taken the optima and at-5555v6 radio's out that I was running together from 1 feed of 25 amp cable direct from the battery. Run the optima on it's own and the dials are back lit now.
breaker
Regular
Regular

Post by breaker »

BE ADVISED....WARNING....BE ADVISED.......WARNING

i have had all 3 versions of the optima,they have all each one had many problems from new.....they were all purchased from new from the same ebay trader and direct from the shop...

The list of faults incl..low tx power.. wobble on the knobs and controls..procesor lock ups.. auto scans for no reason..poor audio on ssb and fm...poor quality mike pin assembly..the list goes on and on..

I so hoped and wished that the makers of this set had finally sorted all the problems with mk1/2 with the mk3..but no they have not..they are hard to communicate with both the maker and uk seller..

Me and a friend both reported the same problems on the mk2 to the uk seller and they played dumb to each of us..in fact we had to go in person to the business address to resolve issues..and still they played games with us both..

We as customers have had to play a game of.. test the radio for us..we will get it right one day..but to date they have not got it right..and they know it..i wont pay a 4th time to be there betta crash test dummy..will you?
many thanks
:wave:
rizz

Post by rizz »

I have a mk3 Issues are up and down buttons on mic stopped working, then the squelch went, I opened it up to turn up the mod, got the jap icom mic, still the audio was low, the soldering on the inside mic plug is a joke and the soldering on the pcb is a bit rough as well. the recieve is good, apart from that its a pile of crap. It might look like a magnum 257, but I would take a Magnum over this anyday.
Yaesu FT7900, Superstar 3900 Red Display, President Lincoln, Adonis 308, Astatic road devil, Microset 27-200T Amp. Sirio Gp-3 5/8th 2m Antenna.
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

Stick it in the car, one of my mobile rigs costs around £1100, but there's only one place I use it and that's in the car, bought for the car and lives in the car. I don't kick the crap out of it, but it isn't going to remain mint, I can live with that ;)
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
radioenthusiast2011

Post by radioenthusiast2011 »

Pretty interested in buying one of these Optima mk3 radios for usb use on the 555.

Anyone give any advice on whether to buy one or not as i have read quite many conflicting reasons on buying one.I would imagine anyone with problems with their radios, could simply return the radio if under warranty and get repaired?
MARKASTERIX

Post by MARKASTERIX »

I have a mk3 and there is a mod out to change the mic internals... Not tried i use a modified magnum 257 mic and it works very well.
The buttons light up behind too.