WREXHAM FREQUENCIES

Scanning radio frequencies in Wales
gerrardla
Regular
Regular

WREXHAM FREQUENCIES

Post by gerrardla »

Hia im a newbie and have just bought a GRE-PSR-282 and i live in the Wrexham Area. I can only get Aircraft at the moment. Need some more frequencies if possible. Help would be much appriciated.

Thanks in advance

Rhys
troutboy
Call Sign: 163TM001

Post by troutboy »

Hi mate,

It all depends where you are in Wrexham but you could try the Shopwatch. Which is 456.675 mhz. If you live in the town or close by you may pick it up on the rubber ducky. Be prepared to wait a long time between transmissions though.

There's the 2m amateur band, try a scan between 144-146 mhz to see if you can pick up any locals. Two repeaters you'll probably get from Wrexham are 145.650 mhz (GB3MN) and 145.725 mhz (GB3VT). Again it's hard to say if you'll pick them up on the rubber ducky but you can try.

You can try a scan between 164.000 mhz and 174.000 mhz. Ambulances and all sorts of commercial services are situated around that area (Taxi's e.t.c.). You should pick something up there if you are close to town.

Hope this helps and report back your findings. :)

James.
"May your tuning finger stay eager and your squelch well open"

James "troutboy" 163-TM-001
gerrardla
Regular
Regular

Post by gerrardla »

hey buddy

thanks for the quick response really appreciate it. I live in Ruabon which is approx 6.5 miles from the centre of wrexham. I really need to buy and external antena for it. Can you suggest one that i can connect up to and have a good signal with. Would really like to listen to bouncers on a saturday night as wrexham is a busy place.

Thanks in Advance
Rhys
troutboy

Post by troutboy »

Well a discone is about as popular as anything for scanning so perhaps go for one of those.

They are good allrounders.

Andrew
Banned
Banned

Post by Andrew »

I have an MRW 112 buttoned (not literally) to my UBC 3500, it does well for me. I take it the 6.5 miles from Wrexham is fairly 'flat' as I have Kilmarnock that far away from me, but its low lying and hard to hit, whereas as the crow flies I have Ayr 12 miles away and can hear the shops and pubs and also Prestwick Airport security, passenger check ins, fire trucks and other stuff. I can even pick up the check in frequency by its input, 460.625.

The MRW is telescopic up to I think about 4 feet (1300 mm) and collapses to about 5 inches. It can be bought from Maplins for about ?12.99.

There are other deciding factors like can you put up an external antenna, which hopefully won't overload the radio and cause chronic cross modulation?
Houses built mainly of breeze block can obstruct signals. The only fear I have of the 112 is that it will make the radio a bit top heavy. Even half extended it performs well, but then the 3500 is an excellent bit of kit. I live 130 feet up a block of flats which helps, but then I can't have an external antenna like a discone etc.

Let us know what you find frequency wise.
Banned Account
gerrardla
Regular
Regular

Post by gerrardla »

i dont find much but only out side...these are the frequencies on the back of my GRE PSR-282 Scanner as follows

66-88 MHz,
118-136.9916 MHz,
137-174 MHz,
380-512 MHz

will i be able to pick up say wrexham bouncers and stuff like that if i buy a better Antenna? Or would you recommend getting a better scanner, only bought this 4-5 days ago so im fairly new to this.

Thanks in advance
Rhys
Andrew
Banned
Banned

Post by Andrew »

You would have to find from someone the frequency and have a listen. Some towns have the shops and pubs on the same frequency, some don't. The 282 isn't too bad a box for a beginner, it's a Radio Shack / Realistic with a different badge. I also have a Realistic 2042 base which has other names and numbers.They will be most likely between 165 and 170 mHz or 453 and 460 mHz.

If at all possible go into Wrexham, try and find them, then go home and see if they still can be heard. It's a bit drastic but effective in some cases.
Banned Account
gerrardla
Regular
Regular

Post by gerrardla »

cheers mate.

would the MRW antenna fit my scanner. At the moment i just have a rubber ducky antenna, suppose it not very good lol. Need to buy one asap but need to know if it will fit first

Thanks in Advance
Rhys
Andrew
Banned
Banned

Post by Andrew »

It comes with a bnc fitting, which your box has. The 'cat that I have has an s m a (which is also a baby food!) If it needs na sma - bnc adaptor, they can be bought for about ?3.29.A bnc fitting is the two pins sticking out the side on the box type fitting. You will be able to tell by looking at it if it will button on.
Banned Account
gerrardla
Regular
Regular

Post by gerrardla »

ok mate thanks for the help, will go and get one of them today. Any frequencies then on like ambulance, fire or police about?
delta79

Post by delta79 »

amateur repeater in Mold 433.150
amateur repeater in Shrewsbury 433.375 (GB3LH)
North East wales Ambulance serivce 166.4625
Shropshire Ambulance service 166.412
SJA Channel one 173.050 (this one is for English SJA )

Hope this is of help.
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fez »

70.8125 AM - North Wales Fire and Rescue. You will hear both sides of the convo as this is the repeater output.
delta79

Post by delta79 »

James.s where about's do you live. as i live on the border of Wrexham borough border with Shropshire.

and i think that scanner is too limited. I use a amateur radio rig with with wideband RX 108 to 999.995 Mhz the upperband is not that brilliant to dx. 700+ Mhz is getting into TV and moblie phones.
troutboy

Post by troutboy »

jamie.s wrote:Would something like this pick much up ?? or is it quite limited in its frequency's ?
I live near wrexham too.
50 odd quid for that is a bit steep in my oppinion, for what it covers anyway, for less than that, you could probably pick up a cheap secondhand realistic (gre-psr, or whatever other name they come under) handheld for that price, not the best radios but they cover a fair bit for someone wanting to start out in the hobby.

A lot would recommend the bearcat 3500xlt, but with all the features and menus it may be a little confusing for someone starting out, and personally, i'm not a big fan of scanners with menu systems on them.

The one scanner i would recommend for someone starting out is the Yupiteru 7100, it's an old scanner, and doesn't have all the modern features, but it's very effective at what it does, it covers just about everything and can be picked up fairly cheaply secondhand (Around ?70-?120). The one thing i like about the 7100 and a few similar radios is the ease at which you can just, type in a frequency, press enter, and your listening to the desired frequency you want to. Programming and using other features usually requires the manual on most radios including the 7100, but as far as just picking a frequency you want and scanning goes, it's very straightforward on the 7100.

I bought a Bearcat a week ago, and i still haven't worked out how to just enter the frequency i want, listen to it, then scan from that point onwards. A lot of people swear by the Bearcat logic and find it simple, i don't, but no doubt once you get used to it, it's probably very simple. Personally though, out of the box i would say the 7100 is easier to operate, but that's just personal preference, no doubt a lot would say different.

As you've probably gathered, i'm a fan of the 7100 :lol: . In my oppinion, it's one of the best starting points for anyone getting into scanning, due to it's relatively low used price, in comparison with all that it's capable of.

Sorry for going on so long, hope this helps a bit.
Last edited by troutboy on 19 May 2008, 23:27, edited 2 times in total.

headshot119
Regular
Regular

Post by headshot119 »

I'll add my two pence worth here.

Here are the St John Ambulance frequencies used in Wrexham
1 169.3625
3 169.1375
6 164.0625
7 164.0500 (Main)
9 166.4275

We mainly use channel 7, channel 9 is the ERC and is not used by us very often. 3 + 6 are used occasionally. And 1 is used very rarely when we link up with units from England.

Tune in on seven during Saturdays in the football season.

SJA Call signs

HC 101/2 WXM ambulances
HC 902 WXM ASU
HC 301-313 WXM handhelds

There are others but you'll have to PM me for those. Hope I've helped.