RX MUTING

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
SecretShortwave
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

RX MUTING

Post by SecretShortwave »

HEY :D :D i am wanting to mute a rx and a qrm eliminator doodar thingy ma jig. Both units have a mute facility on the rear panel but the tx radio does not. If my thinking is correct the mute socket is dragged to earth while transmitting which mutes receiver etc. If i build a breakout box this could easily be acheived via microphone PTT ??????
The manuals for the two units state that the socket is a mute feature and says nothing else, did a test on the rx and earthed the mute socket the rx was muted but got full scale deflection on signal meter which to me does not seem right, was wondering if anybody could comment on this :D
themanfromwem
Banned
Banned

Re: RX MUTING

Post by themanfromwem »

secret shortwave wrote:HEY :D :D i am wanting to mute a rx and a qrm eliminator doodar thingy ma jig. Both units have a mute facility on the rear panel but the tx radio does not. If my thinking is correct the mute socket is dragged to earth while transmitting which mutes receiver etc. If i build a breakout box this could easily be acheived via microphone PTT ??????
The manuals for the two units state that the socket is a mute feature and says nothing else, did a test on the rx and earthed the mute socket the rx was muted but got full scale deflection on signal meter which to me does not seem right, was wondering if anybody could comment on this :D

cAN YOU RUN THAT BY ME AGAIN, PLEASE, PREFERABLY IN eNGLiSH ???tmfw
26CAB40
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 26CAB40 »

The full scale deflection (no movement at all) is the AGC reacting to the massive attenuation that's just been applied.
You'll note that if you back off the RF gain on your radio the needle creeps up in a similar fashion.
Typical response of AGC loop RF gain.
"It's worth whatever they're willing to pay"
SecretShortwave
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

cAN YOU RUN THAT BY ME AGAIN, PLEASE, PREFERABLY IN eNGLiSH ???tmfw
:o :lol: :lol:
sorry mate cabbaging my self also
1 i am using a seperate transmitter and receiver
2 i need to mute receiver while transmitting
3 receiver as a mute socket on the rear panel transmitter has no mute facility
4 what do i do :lol:
thats a really stripped down version of my original post
26 cab40 wrote
The full scale deflection (no movement at all) is the AGC reacting to the massive attenuation that's just been applied.
You'll note that if you back off the RF gain on your radio the needle creeps up in a similar fashion.
Typical response of AGC loop RF gain.
Thanks cab seems im having a really hard time stringing sentences together today :lol:
when i ground the mute socket on my rx signal meter end stops (+60db ) and stays there.

1 all my boat anchors have mute sockets which when grounded put rx into standby (mute) and is well documented in manual
2 latest offering from palstar the r30a rx has a mute socket with 5 volts on it nothing in the manual and no schematics
26CAB40
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 26CAB40 »

Some old boat anchors have proper RF gain control, when you reduce it the RF signal goes DOWN.
Most modern set have the half-arsed AGC loop type, when you reduce gain the needle creeps UP.
If you apply maximum RF attenuation (in this case your mute) you get full scale deflection.

Have you considered the Elad switch box ?

http://www.eladit.net/elad_products.php?prd=000026
"It's worth whatever they're willing to pay"
SecretShortwave
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Have you considered the Elad switch box ?
i am now this maybe the way to go thanks