Sommerkamp.

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Kaos
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Sommerkamp.

Post by Kaos »

Looking high and low for a decent rig to suit my needs.

Been looking through German and Dutch websites and have come across lots of Sommerkamps.

Never owned one, never set eyes on one and never knew anyone who has had one.

Gents, and if the hat fits ladies, have you any opinions on this brand of rig??

Cheers.
DummyLoad
Call Sign: G1COW

RE: Sommerkamp.

Post by DummyLoad »

Sommerkamps are usually re-badged radios from one of the major manufacturers. Which models are you looking at?
Ross, Berkshire UK, IO91LJ
Kaos
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Kaos »

Have seen a fair few mobiles. Nothing has really caught my eye. Was just a name I wast familiar with.

Being in Germany I am assuming Sommerkamp is German or Dutch name due to the spelling and therefore never seen them before I came to Germany.

Have been QRT on 11m since 1996 and want to get on the air again.
DummyLoad
Call Sign: G1COW

Post by DummyLoad »

The Sommerkamp TS-2000DX looks like a re-badged Ranger 2950DX, which would make it a good buy if you want all mode. I dont know anything about the AM/FM only models.
Ross, Berkshire UK, IO91LJ
Dirty_Harry

Post by Dirty_Harry »

I HAD A SOMMERKAMP TS 789 DX, IT WAS ALSO KNOWN AS THE GALAXY URANUS &
RANGER 2900,IT HAD ISSUES WITH THE VCO & IT WOULD TAKE A FEW SECONDS TO LOCK ONTO A FREQUENCY WHEN CHANGING CHANNEL WHICH RENDERED THE SCAN FACILTY USELESS ALSO BECAUSE THE VCO WAS UNSTABLE IT WOULD SOMETIMES WARBLE ON T.X ON SSB, TRIED TO SERVICE IT & IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE, SO STAY AWAY FROM THAT MODEL, ALSO SOME OF THE COFFEE WARMER 780 DX ETC SETS HAVE ISSUES ON FM MODE, I WOULD PERSONALLY STEER CLEAR & GO FOR SOMETHING MORE MODERN & EASIER TO GET REPAIRED IF IT GOES WRONG,
THE SOMMERKAMP TS 2000 DX MIGHT BE O.K AS IT WAS BASICALLY A CLONE OF THE MK1 RANGER 2950 BLACK FRONTED WITH AMBER LCD READOUT & NOT THE SAME AS THE MODERN 2950 DX SERIES WITH THE GREY FRONT PANEL & GREEN LCD READOUT,HOPE THIS INFO HELPS :)