PCR-1000 10.7MHz IF tap for use as SDR frontend

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

PCR-1000 10.7MHz IF tap for use as SDR frontend

Post by crusty »

Hi all. I've modified a pcr-1000 to provide a 10.7MHz IF output in order to experiment with using it as a VHF/UHF frontend for my softrock HF SDR receiver. I thought I'd put up a thread for anyone who's curious, and I also have a request.

The IF mod is simple enough, coupling the output of Q85 to some RG-174 via a 0.1uF capacitor. Instructions for the mod can be found here: http://www.wentztech.com/radio/Equipmen ... R1000.html

The purpose behind the experiment is to enable the softrock to monitor the 10.7Mhz IF output while tuning the pcr-1000, providing the brick wall filtering and graphical monitoring/tuning features of SDR across the entire tuning range of the pcr-1000 (10KHz to 1300MHz), especially the VHF and UHF bands. My current setup with the softrock gives 96KHz viewable bandwidth, while this is not great for monitoring wideband transmissions its a start. :D

My intention was to use a Ham Radio Deluxe to control the pcr-1000 and PowerSDR-IF to monitor the softrock SDR output, (PowerSDR-IF has the ability to interface with Ham Radio Deluxe and effectively mirror the tuning and controls via HRD to the pcr-1000, while monitoring the IQ signals from the softrock via the PC soundcard). I got this working fine but I've hit a snag..

Sadly PowerSDR-IF will not tune the VFO via HRD any higher than the 6M band in the mode I am using it. :( A possible fix to this problem is to use an SDR program called WinradHD which has OmniRig support for controlling external radios. Alas I've not been able to find a config file for OmniRig which will enable it to control the pcr-1000. If anyone knows of an OmniRig control file for the pcr-1000, or has experience of writing them and is willing to assist me it would be very much appreciated! :)
Napalm
Regular
Regular

Re: PCR-1000 10.7MHz IF tap for use as SDR frontend

Post by Napalm »

Old post, but a PCR-100 wouldn't work would it... ? Not for HF anyway, as there's no SSB.
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

Yes it will work with the PCR-100 as the detection and demodulating of SSB signals takes place via the SDR software and hardware. The receivers function is to provide the received signal at the 10.7MHz output, whatever frequency it is tuned to.
Napalm
Regular
Regular

Post by Napalm »

Cheers - I was thinking about an SDR-14... SoftRock - they're the little kit based SDR?

Have you thought about using TalkPCR to control the PCR-1000?

Where abouts in East Lancs are you? I'm in Rochdale. I'd be interested in seeing your set up (oo err missus) at some point. I'm a member of the Ellenroad Radio club which meets at Jct 21 M62...
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

The issue of control via Winrad/WinradHD of the PCR-1000 now has a solution. Please see: http://www.transmission1.co.uk/forum/vi ... 33&t=15179
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

Just a quick update for anyone wanting to sync a pcr1000 via OmniRig, Dave (G8KBV) has written a config file and helper program for use with Faros. Programs which support OmniRig only need the config file unless they require read-back of the frequency or filter settings:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCR1000/message/5633