newbie needs radio

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
ganges boy
Regular
Regular

newbie needs radio

Post by ganges boy »

hello all, trying to get back into c.b. / d.x.ing after years away from it, would like to join tango mike group but need radio and all associated extras that go with it, i drive h g v,s around europe, so ill need a good mobile rig with all the extras if possible, can anyone advise or help please , many thanks. 73,s 51,s
Firetrap
Call Sign: 26CT100

Re: newbie needs radio

Post by Firetrap »

Copied from other thread....

Brandnew Magnum 257 is around £200
Sirio 4000 Antenna & Mount is around £55 new
Superstar 3900 (By the older version with red display) Are around £90 - £120 (2nd Hand)
New "Superstar 3900 EFT" versions are readily available but are built very poorly! they are about £150 new

You will need a frequency counter with the older version 3900 which are around £39 new
Also, a good power mic is a big advantage, a decent one is around £30-£40

Everything above can be seen/found on Ebay, Always check feedback before buying though! other places to buy these from include, Thunderpole, Knights, Capital Stores, Nevada Radio etc etc

Hope this helps!

73's
CHARLIE TANGO DX GROUP - THE UK'S BIGGEST CB ORGANISATION
http://www.charlietango.co.uk and http://www.cbradiouk.com
11m & Amateur Radio DX Group
Firetrap
Call Sign: 26CT100

Post by Firetrap »

Not forgetting the all important SWR meter £15 new for a basic one!
CHARLIE TANGO DX GROUP - THE UK'S BIGGEST CB ORGANISATION
http://www.charlietango.co.uk and http://www.cbradiouk.com
11m & Amateur Radio DX Group
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

An important consideration is where you can mount an antenna.. If you have a fibreglass cab you'll need to site it over some metal (CB antennas need a metal or wire groundplane to function properly) or install some form of metal/wire groundplane inside your cab roof and connect it to the shield conductor of the coax. Mirror mounts with built-in artificial grounds work to some degree but are not ideal.

Whichever antenna you buy, get a spring mount or you'll be leaving it behind you the first time you thwack something with it. :lol:
ganges boy
Regular
Regular

newbie needs radio

Post by ganges boy »

hi all can anyone tell me if magnum omega force is any good i think its the 140 model, many thanks
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

yep fantastic radio with cracking audio' but a lazy needle is its only problem but' easily sorted
all magnum radios have nice modulation ;)
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
sniper9964

Post by sniper9964 »

Magnum 257 all the way but needs to be 'open' and blue screen Truck King will sell you such for about £165. but they seem to be always out of stock.
I have a 257 and a cobra 148 GTL DX for home use,
it be good to hear some kings of the road back on FM 27/81
73's
williamallen1980
Regular
Regular

Post by williamallen1980 »

porky.69 wrote:yep fantastic radio with cracking audio' but a lazy needle is its only problem but' easily sorted
all magnum radios have nice modulation ;)
Hi pal.

My new omega force has been frequency expanded with no problems. But on receive it seems a little deaf along with a lazy needle. could you tell me how you sorted this problem as I am relay frustrated as it cost so much and i am reluctant to pay out anymore.

Thanks
william Allen
wheel bender
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wheel bender »

Ganges boy, before buying an omega force ask around for some experiences people have had with the omega force's final outputs. Personally I'd go for the older deltaforce.Should be cheaper.If you want piece of mind have the seller send it straight to Nick 'bs' and then when you get it you know that it's running the best as it can. Any uniden based ssb radio with low mid hi & uk40 and kc shift will work well mobile. So never discount a good old 148/360 or jackson. There are some cybernets that work well but finding a tidy one is getting harder these days. You've used cb in the cab in the past so you know the does and don'ts with mounting it. I ran cb for many years without a frequency readout so it's not crucial. But I must encourage you to send whatever you get to Nick before you set it up in your cab. I bought a petrusse pacific 160 that looked fine and seemed to run well untill it bust my favourite linear. I sent it to Nick and it was a ticking time bomb inside. Since getting it back it's run even better and now is the only cybernet that i've gotten overseas with....Let us know what you end up buying...and enjoy.
Wheel Bender 1982-88/ 2007- ???
27+ countries since 2007
keeping the older radios on air. Not in the cupboard or the past.
80ch legal- America on ukfm- CB radio can be better 2nd time around.
scottishtommy

Post by scottishtommy »

if just starting off again why not start with a cheap radio with ssb and if u do like them buy yourself something better at a later date im sure you would find something on here that would suit your needs