Help a small UK firm?

Have you found an interesting radio related website? Don't keep it to yourself, post it in here. The best ones will also be added to the weblinks database!
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Help a small UK firm?

Post by g0slq »

www.garex.co.uk

Handy for little bits and pieces, small runs of coax or longer patch leads etc. As well as 4m or 6m FM sets!
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

RE: Help a small UK firm?

Post by 5thElement »

One of their antennas is reviewed in this months Radio User aswell, they definately have some decent products!
2E0XGA
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

I see they are also selling the old HF-3 Receiver, still use one occasionally (mk1). Good starter radio for the SWL, surprised they're still going for ?169 though.

ATB
Crusty.
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

I phoned to ask if I could get a CTCSS board for my AKD 7001, I can't remember who I spoke to but he certainly knew his stuff, I got a brief history of the AKD range & a how & why about the CTCSS boards & 12.5 KHz channel spacing & what they were doing development wise.
I left thinking that the future of Britain's only amateur radio manufacturer was in very good hands.
I have had several bits off them down the years & their HF active antenna is superb, especially at that money.
So I passed this test that allows me to twiddle with knobs, push buttons & call my self an Advanced !!!!!!!
M0LSX
iansradios
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Help a small UK firm?

Post by iansradios »

There is no them its one guy,pete longhurst was an ex police techie many years ago and he will bill you anything you need,if he cant do it im pretty certain he can pass you onto someone for info.top guy
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

"On 14th October 2011 an agreement was signed with Peter Longhurst for Spectrum Communications to purchase Garex Electronics with effect from 30 November 2011. Peter now aged 74 has decided he no longer wishes to be tied to the manufacture of the proprietary products and wishes to enjoy his retirement."
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
iansradios
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by iansradios »

Peter is/was one of the best aerial makers around,I cannot find a better dual band mobile aerial than the one he made for me.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

i never bought off them before as they never took paypal and i was too lazy to post cheques..
but now peter accepts paypal makes dealing a lot easier and quicker..
so i already buy from them :)
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

just ordered a long wire from this place...although the post is a bit out of date its an absolutely ace find well done :D
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

Do they take Paypal now then :?: :?: :?:
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

think there an extra charge like 4% or 5% :(
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

how long does the process take once you've ordered..i ordered about 3 days ago by credit card but nothing has come out yet..mind you he did grumble that my order was a bit small for some reason..didn't want to order what i didn't want really :?:
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

well nothing in the post and nothing taken out of my account..sent him an email and no reply how long does this guy take :?:
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

Its always been like that mate ie why i don't use them much unless its for my self i used to get a mate to do all the ordering for me for my own bits........
Gemini4
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Gemini4 »

right thanks for the info..i have recieved an email back saying he's moving into other premises on the next floor and my antenna is being sorted..i wouldn't mind so much if he emailed me and said so earlier instead of me waiting like this :(