VHF CB

Have you found an interesting radio related website? Don't keep it to yourself, post it in here. The best ones will also be added to the weblinks database!
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Re: VHF CB

Post by RadioPixie »

''The most logical thing would be to make 2m licence-free for FM simplex''.

Sorry, no. A step too far. Pass the foundation and come on 2m. Perhaps an influx of 'proper' CBers would actually improve 2m, which has descended into chaos in some areas.
Noooooooo, even to my anarchic ways of thinkin' licence-free 2m would be a step too far :D
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Post by ChrisCSL »

One thing that baffles me is why CBers think that there is a section on the ham licence which states:

''When you use this licence, you must adopt established 'Radio Ham' attitudes, conventions, language etc''.

It doesn't. It just gives you permission to operate a radio on certain frequencies. A large group of people who call themselves 'Radio Hams' operate there, but they don't own those bands, Ofcom do.

If another 'culture' of people pass the same exam, they are entitled to use the same frequencies.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Admiral wrote:My point is what's the point, when you can sit a simple exam and get all of this straight away?
The thing is though Admiral, there are good reasons why a VHF CB allocation would be useful and while I completely agree that an amateur ticket is the logical progression for anyone interested in pursuing radio as a hobby, CB does fulfil a different role from amateur radio.
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RadioPixie »

VHF CB is not just for 'radio interested' CB'ers, it's for general use and recreational activities. For example group activities where PMR446 is too short ranged (portable units only), Ham radio is too technical, HF CB is too noisy, business PMR is more professional. Me and others have said that again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again....... but the hams on here are just using the issue to keep promoting the amateur side of the hobby and suppress new user/band activity. VHF CB is about fulfilling a different role as kr0ne quite rightly says. Perhaps the name used be change to something like the Family Radio Service or Open Channel Network. Ooooo could the recruitment for a new generation of ham radio brekkers ;)

If it's a dead duck as Ofcom murdered it, then fair enough, it's their decision as the regulating authority. It's no skin off my nose as I have plenty to play with radio wise that is :D But I'm personally looking at this from a broader view, filling a potential communications niche.
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26PS001

Post by ChelseaCat »

Yes I agree remember back not so long ago someone from a scouts group was asking about handheld walkie talkies etc, this would be spot on for them.
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Post by ChrisCSL »

You're probably right.

There are hams who would never touch 27MHz or VHF CB.
There are CBers who just don't like Ham Radio or Radio Hams for that matter.

And there are 'crossovers' like me. Although I don't confuse the two, and would do totally different different things on Ham Radio and CB. I suppose we are 'the awkward squad' :)
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

RadioPixie wrote:VHF CB is not just for 'radio interested' CB'ers, it's for general use and recreational activities. For example group activities where PMR446 is too short ranged (portable units only), Ham radio is too technical, HF CB is too noisy, business PMR is more professional. Me and others have said that again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again....... but the hams on here are just using the issue to keep promoting the amateur side of the hobby and suppress new user/band activity. VHF CB is about fulfilling a different role as kr0ne quite rightly says. Perhaps the name used be change to something like the Family Radio Service or Open Channel Network. Ooooo could the recruitment for a new generation of ham radio brekkers ;)

If it's a dead duck as Ofcom murdered it, then fair enough, it's their decision as the regulating authority. It's no skin off my nose as I have plenty to play with radio wise that is :D But I'm personally looking at this from a broader view, filling a potential communications niche.
As has already been discussed on here, its only the "radio interested" that would use it. To attract "non radio interested users", it needs to be 21st Century, not 20th Century. That means digital, with encryption, privacy, and being free of interfering idiots. But the "radio interested" on here simply want analogue FM, so they can justify playing with their Baofengs. So that makes it of no use to the "non radio interested" who want a reliable, secure, private form of communication, the same as they get with their mobile phones.
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RadioPixie »

Analogue may be old fashioned but it's not obsolete. I rather have a bit of hiss and a natural tone of voice than the robotic voice of Stephen Hawkins (no offence to the great professor).

Is privacy a top priority with a radio system that is open to all?? PMR446 for all its short range isn't that private but is certainly used a lot. Living in a holiday resort area, between the sea and the countryside I hear causal comms very regularly in the summery months. But reading the posts on here, it sounds like in some areas in the UK, PMR446 is saturated be users. Obviously more spectrum is needed.

But say digital was the way to go, why don't you come up with some decent proposals and use your knowledge to enrich the debate than continuous poo pooing.
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

RadioPixie wrote:But say digital was the way to go, why don't you come up with some decent proposals and use your knowledge to enrich the debate than continuous poo pooing.
What, like the ones in here?

http://www.transmission1.co.uk/viewtopi ... al#p360057
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RadioPixie »

Yes I remember now you posting that.

Then propose it to the members in a positive light and we could have another vote on the subject :D
Last edited by RadioPixie on 21 Apr 2014, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD »

The whole point of CB was that it was OPEN, it was a social craze, there's no need for digital privacy! If you want a two-way radio channel to yourself with low risk of intrusion, you pay for a licenced channel!
PMR446 was intended to be a Private system, not Open, so VHF CB isn't really a Bigger Brother version of that, it's a less interference-prone version of 27MHz. There's no need for digital any more than airband or Marine VHF.

So I actually think there's a case to be made for two new side-by-side services - open analogue CB and digital on other channels nearby for entry-level business use. It could be in two adjacent bands...... like PMR446 and Digital446! :)
Nomad75
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26tm0420

Post by Nomad75 »

A vote sounds good:) all those in favour, say I. i.
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Post by ChrisCSL »

Nomad75 wrote:A vote sounds good:) all those in favour, say I. i.
Bit pointless really. Ofcom are not sat on the edge of their seats waiting for the result. In fact I doubt if one word has been spoken about it.

The only way that you are going to get VHF CB is the same way that you got 11m CB. That is to 'crowdstorm' 147.000 to 147.400, have the cojones to hold it, and make it so they can't sell it to anybody else for a penny.
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26PS001

Post by ChelseaCat »

ChrisCSL wrote:
Nomad75 wrote:A vote sounds good:) all those in favour, say I. i.
Bit pointless really. Ofcom are not sat on the edge of their seats waiting for the result. In fact I doubt if one word has been spoken about it.

The only way that you are going to get VHF CB is the same way that you got 11m CB. That is to 'crowdstorm' 147.000 to 147.400, have the cojones to hold it, and make it so they can't sell it to anybody else for a penny.
OK its adeal :clap: :lol:
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Post by ChrisCSL »

I'll shift it up 10kHz, so my fellow hams don't come and put a burning crucifix on my front lawn.

Channel 1: 147.010
Channel 2: 147.020

And so on.

Channel 39: 147.390
Channel 40: 147.400

Actually makes it easier to remember. Just knock the last zero off and there's your channel number.

There you go. But you have to be a citizen to use it ;)

You haven't seen me, right?