Radioddity GD-77

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Re: Radioddity GD-77

Post by Auldgeek »

My GD-77 arrived today.

No extra duty to pay which was great. It's very early days but I have to say the quality is quite impressive considering the price. While not as solid as my Retevis RT-82, it has a good feel to it and It's also smaller in size. The screen is not as good as the RT-82 but is very usable.
Both my Retevis RT-3 and this new radio can use the same charging base so that's a bonus.

Programming software is basic but it works. If you can program a TYT or Retrevis DMR, this shouldn't be too much bother. So far, I've programmed a couple of analogue repeaters and one of the DMR simplex frequencies. The basic DMR channel setup (Amateur UHF DH1) works with my Retevis RT-82, my RT-3 and the GD-77 so at a basic level, it's compatible.

More to test but so far, for just over $100 delivered, it's an absolute bargain!

Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Does it have better ears than your RT-82?
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Admiral wrote:Does it have better ears than your RT-82?
It's better than my "first" RT-82 but my replacement is spot on now.
Auldgeek - Drew

BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

kilimax wrote:It's better than my "first" RT-82 but my replacement is spot on now.
On the RT82, do you get a loud 'pop' at the start of the audio when receiving DMR? Mine does this, and my old MD380 did it too. It's particularly distracting when a station is dropping in and out of repeater coverage (even though your reception of the repeater is solid) because you get pops all over the place, not when the station drops out but when it comes back again.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Paul has also got his GD-77.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8c7XEJ-ap4
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

BK wrote:
kilimax wrote:It's better than my "first" RT-82 but my replacement is spot on now.
On the RT82, do you get a loud 'pop' at the start of the audio when receiving DMR? Mine does this, and my old MD380 did it too. It's particularly distracting when a station is dropping in and out of repeater coverage (even though your reception of the repeater is solid) because you get pops all over the place, not when the station drops out but when it comes back again.
Yes, it does do that, as does my RT-3 and most other stations, even listening via the DV-Mini. I hear this often.
Most likely just the digital equivalent to drop out and receiver reacquiring the signal.
Auldgeek - Drew

Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Admiral wrote:Paul has also got his GD-77.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8c7XEJ-ap4
Broadly in line with what I have found so far.
Auldgeek - Drew

BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

kilimax wrote:
BK wrote:On the RT82, do you get a loud 'pop' at the start of the audio when receiving DMR? Mine does this, and my old MD380 did it too. It's particularly distracting when a station is dropping in and out of repeater coverage (even though your reception of the repeater is solid) because you get pops all over the place, not when the station drops out but when it comes back again.
Yes, it does do that, as does my RT-3 and most other stations, even listening via the DV-Mini. I hear this often.
Most likely just the digital equivalent to drop out and receiver reacquiring the signal.
OK, thanks for that. I can't believe the likes of Motorola would do this, it should be an easy problem to solve. I don't recall my SDR dongle ever doing it.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

BK wrote:
kilimax wrote:
BK wrote:On the RT82, do you get a loud 'pop' at the start of the audio when receiving DMR? Mine does this, and my old MD380 did it too. It's particularly distracting when a station is dropping in and out of repeater coverage (even though your reception of the repeater is solid) because you get pops all over the place, not when the station drops out but when it comes back again.
OK, thanks for that. I can't believe the likes of Motorola would do this, it should be an easy problem to solve. I don't recall my SDR dongle ever doing it.
I don't have access to a Motorola here to test so cannot comment. I tend to find the popping sound is most audible when listening through one of the DMR repeaters. I don't get anything when using simplex but again, signals are strong both ways so there's no drop out.
Auldgeek - Drew

sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

think il buy one.
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Anyone thinking of buying one of these, Amazon have them in stock.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074HX8T9K/ ... QzbXDX9AXN

For £77 delivered, I've ordered another one to play about with outside of the Amateur bands.
Auldgeek - Drew

delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

Just picked one up myself, great little radio for the price.

DrumGeek
Regular
Regular

Post by DrumGeek »

Hi All,

Does anyone know if this radio does proper dual receive?
i.e. will it hear both VFOa and VFOb at the same time with either 2 analogue freqs, 1 analogue and 1 digital, or 2 digital?

Thanks,
Mark...
Uniden UBCD3600XLT| Uniden UBC780 XLT | Commtel COM215 | Realistic Pro-35 | Realtek RTL820 SDR x4 | SDR Play RSP2 | PiAware/Flightaware ADS-B Receiver | Yaesu FT-891 | Yaesu FT-817ND | Wouxun KG-UV8D | Tytera MD-380 | Anytone AT-D868UV
Steve B
Regular
Regular

Post by Steve B »

Someone I know locally has gotten one of these recently... previously they had an FM baofeng. Now with it he comes out stronger than ever before, signal screaming through the walls. Albeit this is with FM.
30-Tango-Mike-003
Good Christian Boys: Midland G7 XTR "Street-Legal" PMR 3-watter - Kenwood UBZ-LJ8 PMR446 - Intek FM548SX (With Homogolation boys 8) )
Naughty Boys: Philips 25W FM1100 UHF w/PA4DEN - Baofeng UV5RA, Superstar 360FM (My good one!) w/ CTE 747 100W Amp
k1lho
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: K1lho

Post by k1lho »

I purchased a GD-77 and think it's GD radio. It's codeplug data format is not compatible with the the much more popular MD-380.

The DG-77 requires receive groups in addition to contacts. This significantly complicates programing. Even worse, you can only have 16 receive groups which may be less than the number of contacts. If you place several contacts in a single receive group, you'll be listening to several TG's at the same time with no way of differentiating the dialogue from each.