TYT MD 380.... err..

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Re: TYT MD 380.... err..

Post by Farty »

To be fair to Bumfeng they never claimed full tier 2 for even the firmware upgraded models, so the criticisms from some quarters have been a bit unwarranted.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Merlinonline
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0CPX

Post by Merlinonline »

310den wrote:OK so I thought I would look into this digital malarky and got the above radio (UHF) and loaded up a local (ish) codeplug and can hear chat on GB7MH.
Is there anyone near me that has details of frequencies I can add or a codeplug loaded with digital stuff I can listen to? Not just amateur, others also. Would like to listen around on digital while i get my head around this radio and learn a bit more on the digital side.

Thanks.
Where did you buy your MD 380 from? The ones from UK Ham shops seem to have a lesser battery than those shipped from China, but of course, you have to be careful.
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

Merlinonline wrote:
310den wrote:OK so I thought I would look into this digital malarky and got the above radio (UHF) and loaded up a local (ish) codeplug and can hear chat on GB7MH.
Is there anyone near me that has details of frequencies I can add or a codeplug loaded with digital stuff I can listen to? Not just amateur, others also. Would like to listen around on digital while i get my head around this radio and learn a bit more on the digital side.

Thanks.
Where did you buy your MD 380 from? The ones from UK Ham shops seem to have a lesser battery than those shipped from China, but of course, you have to be careful.
Second hand on HRD.
DrumGeek
Regular
Regular

Post by DrumGeek »

Admiral wrote: 26 Jul 2017, 17:46 Hi 310den, I can't afford a DMR scanner, so the way I do it is crude and a bit time consuming as it's a three stage thing.
I use a ten quid SDR TV dongle to scan around 450Mhz to 457Mhz and 162Mhz to 169Mhz (the most active for DMR near me), you soon get used to the waterfall signature of DMR stuff, I port it to DSD+ to get the colour code and see if it's encrypted (if encrypted then don't go any further as it's a waste of time), don't worry if DSD+ doesn't output the audio if you're too far away from the signal, the 380 will receive it.
Stage 2: As the frequency of the cheapo dongles is usually horribly out, and even with calibration they wander off when going up or down, so I then put the best guess of the frequency from SDR# or HDSDR into a decent analogue scanner set to 12.5Khz steps and when the stream is on the waterfall I click around the scanner to get the proper frequency by hearing the 'motorboat' noise.
I now have the exact frequency, colour code, TG (if not using promiscuous) and timeslot, it then goes into the 380 and voila, crude, but effective if you can't justify splashing out on a DMR scanner.
I have now retired and moved back to MK, so I now need to start all over again as that codeplug is for Peterborough.
Hi Admiral,
I'm trying a similar three stage process, but when I come to enter the frequency into the 380, do I just enter the same frequency for RX and TX or do I need to make a guess as to what the offset might be?

Thanks...
Uniden UBCD3600XLT| Uniden UBC780 XLT | Commtel COM215 | Realistic Pro-35 | Realtek RTL820 SDR x4 | SDR Play RSP2 | PiAware/Flightaware ADS-B Receiver | Yaesu FT-891 | Yaesu FT-817ND | Wouxun KG-UV8D | Tytera MD-380 | Anytone AT-D868UV
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Hi mate, best practice is to set the TX to a PMR446 channel or UK Simple so as you don't accidentally key up on the system you're earwigging on.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
DrumGeek
Regular
Regular

Post by DrumGeek »

Ahh great idea, thanks for the help mate :thumbup:
Uniden UBCD3600XLT| Uniden UBC780 XLT | Commtel COM215 | Realistic Pro-35 | Realtek RTL820 SDR x4 | SDR Play RSP2 | PiAware/Flightaware ADS-B Receiver | Yaesu FT-891 | Yaesu FT-817ND | Wouxun KG-UV8D | Tytera MD-380 | Anytone AT-D868UV