TYT MD 380.... err..

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
User avatar
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 946
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 18:52
Location: West Sussex
Contact:

TYT MD 380.... err..

Post by 310den » 24 Jul 2017, 21:02

OK so I thought I would look into this digital malarky and got the above radio (UHF) and loaded up a local (ish) codeplug and can hear chat on GB7MH.
Is there anyone near me that has details of frequencies I can add or a codeplug loaded with digital stuff I can listen to? Not just amateur, others also. Would like to listen around on digital while i get my head around this radio and learn a bit more on the digital side.

Thanks.

User avatar
kilimax
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 2691
Joined: 05 May 2014, 09:18
Call Sign: GM0BRJ
Location: Same Country as Buick Mackane

Re: TYT MD 380.... err..

Post by kilimax » 25 Jul 2017, 22:25

310den wrote:OK so I thought I would look into this digital malarky and got the above radio (UHF) and loaded up a local (ish) codeplug and can hear chat on GB7MH.
Is there anyone near me that has details of frequencies I can add or a codeplug loaded with digital stuff I can listen to? Not just amateur, others also. Would like to listen around on digital while i get my head around this radio and learn a bit more on the digital side.

Thanks.
Check the first post out. Might be of help. My MD-380 only has the codeplug for my semi local repeater but I tend to use my 380 simplex and use my DV Mini as a hotspot on UHF and I can link into the DMR network that way. Anyway, Admirals codeplug may be of use to you.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=53942
Kilimax - Drew
Amateur Callsign GM0BRJ
Tango Mike Callsign 108TM144

I've changed radios that many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:

User avatar
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 946
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 18:52
Location: West Sussex
Contact:

Re: TYT MD 380.... err..

Post by 310den » 26 Jul 2017, 13:05

kilimax wrote:
310den wrote:OK so I thought I would look into this digital malarky and got the above radio (UHF) and loaded up a local (ish) codeplug and can hear chat on GB7MH.
Is there anyone near me that has details of frequencies I can add or a codeplug loaded with digital stuff I can listen to? Not just amateur, others also. Would like to listen around on digital while i get my head around this radio and learn a bit more on the digital side.

Thanks.
Check the first post out. Might be of help. My MD-380 only has the codeplug for my semi local repeater but I tend to use my 380 simplex and use my DV Mini as a hotspot on UHF and I can link into the DMR network that way. Anyway, Admirals codeplug may be of use to you.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=53942
Thanks for the reply Drew. I have installed that codeplug but not hearing much but not my area. Currently got GB7MH codeplug loaded which is working for what is intended.
Was hoping to use it as a digital scanner to listen to 'interesting' transmissions.
Cheers.

BK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1246
Joined: 17 Jan 2007, 11:17

Re: TYT MD 380.... err..

Post by BK » 26 Jul 2017, 17:12

Have a look in the scanning frequencies section of the forums for your area, someone has probably been scanning with an SDR dongle and posted some frequencies already, if not then start a new thread in there.

User avatar
kilimax
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 2691
Joined: 05 May 2014, 09:18
Call Sign: GM0BRJ
Location: Same Country as Buick Mackane

Re: TYT MD 380.... err..

Post by kilimax » 26 Jul 2017, 17:16

310den wrote:
Thanks for the reply Drew. I have installed that codeplug but not hearing much but not my area. Currently got GB7MH codeplug loaded which is working for what is intended.
Was hoping to use it as a digital scanner to listen to 'interesting' transmissions.
Cheers.
To be fair, that codeplug would have been put together based on Admirals location and reception capability but it should have hopefully allowed you to see how to use it as a baseline and add frequencies to suit you. I think the scanning section churns out some DMR & analogue frequencies and if you post a request for frequencies and colour codes for active transmissions near your location, you can build up a decent database.

I've just very recently taken delivery of the new Retevis dual band DMR radio and I received a codeplug for all UK amateur repeaters. Like you, I will be looking for other frequencies to add.

Keeps us out of trouble, at least in some ways!
Kilimax - Drew
Amateur Callsign GM0BRJ
Tango Mike Callsign 108TM144

I've changed radios that many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:

User avatar
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Posts: 10000
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 21:20
Call Sign: 26TM157
Location: MK-UK

Re: TYT MD 380.... err..

Post by Admiral » 26 Jul 2017, 17:46

Hi 310den, I can't afford a DMR scanner, so the way I do it is crude and a bit time consuming as it's a three stage thing.
I use a ten quid SDR TV dongle to scan around 450Mhz to 457Mhz and 162Mhz to 169Mhz (the most active for DMR near me), you soon get used to the waterfall signature of DMR stuff, I port it to DSD+ to get the colour code and see if it's encrypted (if encrypted then don't go any further as it's a waste of time), don't worry if DSD+ doesn't output the audio if you're too far away from the signal, the 380 will receive it.
Stage 2: As the frequency of the cheapo dongles is usually horribly out, and even with calibration they wander off when going up or down, so I then put the best guess of the frequency from SDR# or HDSDR into a decent analogue scanner set to 12.5Khz steps and when the stream is on the waterfall I click around the scanner to get the proper frequency by hearing the 'motorboat' noise.
I now have the exact frequency, colour code, TG (if not using promiscuous) and timeslot, it then goes into the 380 and voila, crude, but effective if you can't justify splashing out on a DMR scanner.
I have now retired and moved back to MK, so I now need to start all over again as that codeplug is for Peterborough.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

User avatar
Farty
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 3606
Joined: 20 Oct 2008, 14:40
Location: IO92ND

Re: TYT MD 380.... err..

Post by Farty » 26 Jul 2017, 21:33

Admiral wrote: I have now retired and moved back to MK, so I now need to start all over again as that codeplug is for Peterborough.
You in MK now Admiral? Not a gazillion miles from me.
Last edited by Farty on 27 Jul 2017, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016

User avatar
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 946
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 18:52
Location: West Sussex
Contact:

Re: TYT MD 380.... err..

Post by 310den » 26 Jul 2017, 22:42

Admiral wrote:Hi 310den, I can't afford a DMR scanner, so the way I do it is crude and a bit time consuming as it's a three stage thing.
I use a ten quid SDR TV dongle to scan around 450Mhz to 457Mhz and 162Mhz to 169Mhz (the most active for DMR near me), you soon get used to the waterfall signature of DMR stuff, I port it to DSD+ to get the colour code and see if it's encrypted (if encrypted then don't go any further as it's a waste of time), don't worry if DSD+ doesn't output the audio if you're too far away from the signal, the 380 will receive it.
Stage 2: As the frequency of the cheapo dongles is usually horribly out, and even with calibration they wander off when going up or down, so I then put the best guess of the frequency from SDR# or HDSDR into a decent analogue scanner set to 12.5Khz steps and when the stream is on the waterfall I click around the scanner to get the proper frequency by hearing the 'motorboat' noise.
I now have the exact frequency, colour code, TG (if not using promiscuous) and timeslot, it then goes into the 380 and voila, crude, but effective if you can't justify splashing out on a DMR scanner.
I have now retired and moved back to MK, so I now need to start all over again as that codeplug is for Peterborough.
Hi Admiral
Thanks for that. I do have an SDR reciever so will try that. Some good tips there. :thumbup:

User avatar
stanogs68
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 2008
Joined: 05 Mar 2013, 19:38
Location: warrington,north west

Re: TYT MD 380.... err..

Post by stanogs68 » 27 Jul 2017, 05:55

Admiral wrote:Hi 310den, I can't afford a DMR scanner, so the way I do it is crude and a bit time consuming as it's a three stage thing.
I use a ten quid SDR TV dongle to scan around 450Mhz to 457Mhz and 162Mhz to 169Mhz (the most active for DMR near me), you soon get used to the waterfall signature of DMR stuff, I port it to DSD+ to get the colour code and see if it's encrypted (if encrypted then don't go any further as it's a waste of time), don't worry if DSD+ doesn't output the audio if you're too far away from the signal, the 380 will receive it.
Stage 2: As the frequency of the cheapo dongles is usually horribly out, and even with calibration they wander off when going up or down, so I then put the best guess of the frequency from SDR# or HDSDR into a decent analogue scanner set to 12.5Khz steps and when the stream is on the waterfall I click around the scanner to get the proper frequency by hearing the 'motorboat' noise.
I now have the exact frequency, colour code, TG (if not using promiscuous) and timeslot, it then goes into the 380 and voila, crude, but effective if you can't justify splashing out on a DMR scanner.
I have now retired and moved back to MK, so I now need to start all over again as that codeplug is for Peterborough.
great idea there Admiral ,putting the frequency into your analogue scanner till you get the motorboat noise to nail done the frequency nailed down ,never thought of that :thumbup:
computers mess with my brain !

User avatar
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 946
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 18:52
Location: West Sussex
Contact:

Re: TYT MD 380.... err..

Post by 310den » 27 Jul 2017, 07:20

310den wrote:
Admiral wrote:Hi 310den, I can't afford a DMR scanner, so the way I do it is crude and a bit time consuming as it's a three stage thing.
I use a ten quid SDR TV dongle to scan around 450Mhz to 457Mhz and 162Mhz to 169Mhz (the most active for DMR near me), you soon get used to the waterfall signature of DMR stuff, I port it to DSD+ to get the colour code and see if it's encrypted (if encrypted then don't go any further as it's a waste of time), don't worry if DSD+ doesn't output the audio if you're too far away from the signal, the 380 will receive it.
Stage 2: As the frequency of the cheapo dongles is usually horribly out, and even with calibration they wander off when going up or down, so I then put the best guess of the frequency from SDR# or HDSDR into a decent analogue scanner set to 12.5Khz steps and when the stream is on the waterfall I click around the scanner to get the proper frequency by hearing the 'motorboat' noise.
I now have the exact frequency, colour code, TG (if not using promiscuous) and timeslot, it then goes into the 380 and voila, crude, but effective if you can't justify splashing out on a DMR scanner.
I have now retired and moved back to MK, so I now need to start all over again as that codeplug is for Peterborough.
Hi Admiral
Thanks for that. I do have an SDR reciever so will try that. Some good tips there. :thumbup:
Can you enter that info directly in the 380 or does it have to be via the software then load it up?

User avatar
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Posts: 10000
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 21:20
Call Sign: 26TM157
Location: MK-UK

Re: TYT MD 380.... err..

Post by Admiral » 27 Jul 2017, 08:34

I think you can only edit with the radio keyboard, I don't think you can create new channels, I'm not 100% sure on that as I always use the software.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

User avatar
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Posts: 10000
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 21:20
Call Sign: 26TM157
Location: MK-UK

Re: TYT MD 380.... err..

Post by Admiral » 27 Jul 2017, 08:38

stanogs68 wrote: great idea there Admiral ,putting the frequency into your analogue scanner till you get the motorboat noise to nail done the frequency nailed down ,never thought of that :thumbup:
Or you could do it the other way around stan, search on a decent analogue scanner for motorboat sounds and then get the digital info from SDR/DSD, I personally prefer to use the SDR first as I get a 9Mhz specrum on mine which means I can effectively monitor the whole active band at once.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

User avatar
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Posts: 10000
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 21:20
Call Sign: 26TM157
Location: MK-UK

Re: TYT MD 380.... err..

Post by Admiral » 31 Jul 2017, 08:50

Farty wrote:
Admiral wrote: I have now retired and moved back to MK, so I now need to start all over again as that codeplug is for Peterborough.
You in MK now Admiral? Not a gazillion miles from me.
Yeah, back on the darkside after three years away.

Is it me Farty, or does GB3MK have a nasty hum on analogue?
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

User avatar
Farty
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 3606
Joined: 20 Oct 2008, 14:40
Location: IO92ND

Re: TYT MD 380.... err..

Post by Farty » 31 Jul 2017, 08:53

Never tried to access it matey, but will try later. I usually do my rag chewing through VA, though that's gone quiet lately.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016

User avatar
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Posts: 10000
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 21:20
Call Sign: 26TM157
Location: MK-UK

Re: TYT MD 380.... err..

Post by Admiral » 31 Jul 2017, 09:28

I can hear VA but can't access it as I'm just using my handies for now as I'm staying with friends until my place is finished, hopefully this side of xmas, then I can get something in the air.

Back on topic, I'll be getting a VHF 380 as I don't trust the dual banders coming out at the moment since the Bumfeng dualband DMR disaster.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests