TYT md380 Code plug Lanarkshire scotland. Help No RX/TX

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
SgtScrewdriver
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: 108AW055

TYT md380 Code plug Lanarkshire scotland. Help No RX/TX

Post by SgtScrewdriver »

Hi All,

I am a Foundation licence holder and I am keen to try out DMR. I live in the Motherwell North Lanarkshire Area of scotland.

I have purchased a TYT md380.
I have programmed the radio using a code plug for Glasgow from GB7DD.co.uk.
I have registered and obtained my DMR ID so should be good to go.

However I am unable to RX or TX on the repeater? Using both My Co linear and mobile antenna with little joy.
the code plug i used was an old one so not sure if its a dodgy code plug.

Radio Transmits on Analog so the radio is working.

Do any of you have a good code plug for Glasgow/ Lanarkshire area. can anyone advise where I may be going wrong?

{bnghd} {bnghd}
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: TYT md380 Code plug Lanarkshire scotland. Help No RX/TX

Post by Admiral »

Firstly, welcome to TM1, glad to have you onboard.

Secondly,
SgtScrewdriver wrote: can anyone advise where I may be going wrong?

Yes, you're going wrong by being lazy and allowing a simple thing to be done by someone else, as an MM6/MM3 this should be part of your thirst to gain more knowledge than the stupid Foundation taught you.

Lookup GB7GG and find the frequencies and colour code, they are output 439.6250 MHz input 430.6250 Mhz and CC1 to save you looking. Then have a look at youtube to see how to use the program software, there is an excellent one by TM1 member radiosification to get you started (his monotones helped me get started 18 months ago), refer back to the GB7GG website for Talkgroups. If you have a go and and it still doesn't work then someone will be happy to help.
I would strongly advise not to be tempted to download and install a National Amateur codeplug, they are generic, bloated, (often) poorly constructed in layout, and, again, will not contribute to your learning curve as it may well work but the information may as well have been written by the mythical 1,000 chimps on a 1,000 keyboards over a 1,000 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDBosrVDrOA
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
SgtScrewdriver
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: 108AW055

Post by SgtScrewdriver »

Thank you for the reply Admiral. It's much appreciated.
Yes, you're going wrong by being lazy and allowing a simple thing to be done by someone else
Yes us lazy foundation holders are bone idle :crazy: :D

I have programmed my radio on my own as well as trying a code plug with little avail.

I may take a wee drive tonight and get closer to the repeater in case I am not making the journey from my home QTH.
The radio is programmed and should be good to go...
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Just a couple of quick checks before you set off, make sure you don't have the 'RX Only' box checked, make sure you have the input and output frequencies the right way around, if you're not using promiscuous mode then make sure you have the correct TGs in your contact list and you create and enable a Group List from them, make sure you have two identical channels for the repeater, one for each time slot (so obviously identical apart from the TS). I can hit my local repeater at about 9 miles on high and low power. Good luck.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition