DMR Simplex - Manchester/Bolton

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
Mad4radio

Re: DMR Simplex - Manchester/Bolton

Post by Mad4radio »

Gareth1125 wrote:Simplex is pretty dead where I am too.. I'm down in Congleton in Cheshire... and there are too many hills to get into repeaters whilst mobile too... Shame...

Gareth
"Setup a link/DMR gateway" that's where the activity is on these private TS VOIP SERVERS!! ;)
Scott_93
Call Sign: Sunray20Alph

Post by Scott_93 »

Mad4radio wrote:
Admiral wrote:Everything I do up here Is DMR related from enhanced encryption techniques used on my gateways to enhanced encryption used on my technically assigned repeaters just to keep the ear wiggers at bay!! I feel so content that I can leave my links/repeaters running round the clock 24/7 365 days a year knowing that the only folk that pipe up on them are those with the matching colour codes & encryption keys to work via our own little network we have created
Hmmmm, Encryption used on amateur radio frequencies? I take it your also have NoV's for the gateways too?

At least last time I checked, that was the rules and regs, not that I'm tremendously bothered but a "private little network with full time encryption" doesn't sound very Ham-like to me. Just running a different colour code and odd TG number would keep half the cardigan wearers off.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I think you have mis-quoted me there, Mad4radio said that, not me.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

It does strike me that there are so many modes now on business and amateur bands that you cannot receive, that there is almost no way to monitor what goes through the various repeaters, nodes and links. I nice, functionalbut private network on a ham band could be used by non-hams easily, and in one of perhaps 3 cities there is a chance the authorities could have the spare time to use their resources to check the content - why would they? A commercially licensed digital repeater could easily have an active non-business group of friends use it with no interruption of service - and we did have this kind of thing on analogue community repeaters where owners would provide worthy groups with access as long as they didn't cause complaints.

If I understand the current ham rules. most of the home sited digital systems should only function when the license holder is at home. One near me does this - making access useless for me because my working hours are the opposite of him. I bet many in rural locations are just accidentally left on. Are they?
DistantSignal

Post by DistantSignal »

I try to monitor DMR simplex when I can. put calls out the other day and had a net of 5 going> luck of the draw I guess. I'm in Manchester near the airport.
Mad4radio

Post by Mad4radio »

Scott_93 wrote:
Hmmmm, Encryption used on amateur radio frequencies? I take it your also have NoV's for the gateways too?

Who said I was using ham frequencies????? Not me!! let's not presume things eah ;-) "I pay for the license" where the hams get it for free!!
Scott_93
Call Sign: Sunray20Alph

Post by Scott_93 »

Admiral wrote:I think you have mis-quoted me there, Mad4radio said that, not me.
Don't know what happened there, clearly my http-fu wasn't upto scratch.
Mad4radio wrote:
Scott_93 wrote: Hmmmm, Encryption used on amateur radio frequencies? I take it your also have NoV's for the gateways too?
/quote]
Who said I was using ham frequencies????? Not me!! let's not presume things eah ;-) "I pay for the license" where the hams get it for free!!
When I first read it and re-read it and then replied I was convinced that you had said you were on ham bands. I've read it again and clearly you don't, serves me right for coming on here whilst on 16 hour night shifts!

Scott.
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

paulears wrote: If I understand the current ham rules. most of the home sited digital systems should only function when the license holder is at home. One near me does this - making access useless for me because my working hours are the opposite of him. I bet many in rural locations are just accidentally left on. Are they?
I'm not sure if that applies if you have a full licence, and because ,say the DVMEGA for example, using the small stubby antenna only puts out 10mW on 70cms you can leave them on 24/7 unattended. If you connect it to an external antenna with gain then I think you may need a NOV but being honest even then its such low power that I'm not sure one is required.
Just the same as my 10mW 10GHz ATV TX ,that's been on for many many years!
Most Local oscillators in satellite LNB are about 7 to 10mW and they are on 24/7 in front of a dish with substantial gain.
I leave mine on all the time, even if I go out.
:thumbup:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I think this is new stuff to me - I'd not really considered these devices - was thinking of higher power outside aerial stuff.
Gareth1125
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6IGJ

Post by Gareth1125 »

Hey again. I do have a DVmega for using on DMR, but I do also use a private server for hams on TS3 also... But sometimes its nice to play a bit of "real radio" too... The only repeater I could have got into was in a place called Maccelsfield and sadly that's bit the dust now too... :-(

Gareth

Mad4radio wrote:
Gareth1125 wrote:Simplex is pretty dead where I am too.. I'm down in Congleton in Cheshire... and there are too many hills to get into repeaters whilst mobile too... Shame...

Gareth
"Setup a link/DMR gateway" that's where the activity is on these private TS VOIP SERVERS!! ;)
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

We have proved the MD380 and rebadges to 6 miles simplex with encryption, the encryption for some reason does kill the battery pack from 6 hours to around 4 hours, I have no science to offer for this statement, it's just what we've found to be true, we live in the Fens so it's as flat as a pancake around here, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but 6 miles line of sight is not to be sniffed at, we think it's pretty damn good. That is using what is theoretically an antenna upgrade to a six quid Nagoya copy, so not the real deal, but better than stock in our opinion.
Yes, you'll get the odd post somewhere that someone got 100Km (whatever Km are) on UHF, and it's very plausible in the right conditions, but we are just local yokels having a bit of fun with radio, so 6 miles is pretty special, and as digital is either there or not there, on the edge of the envelope the quality is the same as if you're 2 feet away.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition