Recording of QSO's

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
sierra_za
Regular
Regular

Recording of QSO's

Post by sierra_za »

BrandMeister recently launched http://www.hose.brandmeister.network where you can stream qso's on various talk groups around the world. This comes with clause - "Information gathered by listening to the streams are to be treated as confidential. Do not use the information broadcasted here without consent of the persons involved in a conversation!" They now announce a new bit of software created in the EU where qso's on talk groups (except for local TG9) can be recorded and played back - by anyone. Kind of going against the clause with of the streaming service.

There have been some mixed thought about this posted on various Facebook pages pointing towards Ham Spirit, what have people got to hide, people concerned that their activities could be noted, potential data confidentiality issues and so forth. Personally I'm against it for the sole purpose that the information could get into the wrong hands and as someone else stated, your activities could be plotted so others know when you are not home (operating mobile), gather trends, get your details from qrz or from other means and you get home to a ransacked house. It may seem extreme but these type of things happen more so to those that fully let down their guard and think it will never happen to them.

Anyway, what are peoples thoughts on this (and lets keep it sensible for the sanity of the Admins).
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Recording of QSO's

Post by Admiral »

That link doesn't work, try.

http://hose.brandmeister.network/

Don't get too excited about TG235:

"Administratively prohibited
We’re really sorry, but the DMR master administrators of this region have indicated that this Talk Group should not be available for public listening. Therefore this Talk Group is not available via Hose line. Please contact the Talk Group / Master Server administrators for further questions."
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Admiral wrote:That link doesn't work, try.

http://hose.brandmeister.network/

Don't get too excited about TG235:

"Administratively prohibited
We’re really sorry, but the DMR master administrators of this region have indicated that this Talk Group should not be available for public listening. Therefore this Talk Group is not available via Hose line. Please contact the Talk Group / Master Server administrators for further questions."
There's nowt like the secret society! :D
I assume they all operate with one trouser leg rolled up? :D
As amateur radio is one of the very things "casual public listeners" are allowed to tune into, seems a strange standpoint to me?
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Indeed Geefull, a 'Master Server Administrator' sounds very powerful and intimidating, but no less BS than I would expect from a DMR god, the next rank up is High Priest Overlord Administrator, you seriously don't want to mess with those guys.
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Admiral wrote:Indeed Geefull, a 'Master Server Administrator' sounds very powerful and intimidating, but no less BS than I would expect from a DMR god, the next rank up is High Priest Overlord Administrator, you seriously don't want to mess with those guys.
Indeed! :thumbup:
I am led to believe they can "stun your radio" from afar merely using rune crystals, and transference conduit ley lines! :lol:
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

As a ham for a good few years, I work on the principle that if I'm TXing then there's always people RXing, and if they're prepared to listen to my drivel then I'm flattered. So I always TX as though someone else other than the intended person is also listening.

My biggest worry about this sort of thing is that as it's online, then the band vandals can hack the servers and have a lot more fun than playing the Laughing Policeman down the mic on a Sony Walkman. I would be more comfortable if the servers used were less conspicuous.
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Admiral wrote:As a ham for a good few years, I work on the principle that if I'm TXing then there's always people RXing, and if they're prepared to listen to my drivel then I'm flattered. So I always TX as though someone else other than the intended person is also listening.

My biggest worry about this sort of thing is that as it's online, then the band vandals can hack the servers and have a lot more fun than playing the Laughing Policeman down the mic on a Sony Walkman. I would be more comfortable if the servers used were less conspicuous.
We share those "good few" years, and in my prime operating days, we always wished "SW listeners" a cheery goodbye as well as the persons we were in conversation with, when signing off!
When it all becomes "buy in to our secret coded band slot, or pee off", it's not amateur radio anymore, in my humble opinion! ;)
daz3210

Post by daz3210 »

Our licence prohibits encryption and private calls.

How close does the action regarding TG235 come to crossing the line where this contravenes the licence?
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

daz3210 wrote:Our licence prohibits encryption and private calls.
Going slightly off on a tangent, I always wondered if speaking German on TG235, or English on TG250 would be classed as 'encryption'?
daz3210

Post by daz3210 »

Admiral wrote:
Going slightly off on a tangent, I always wondered if speaking German on TG235, or English on TG250 would be classed as 'encryption'?
I wouldn't have thought so since anyone who knows German can 'decode', whereas for encryption you need a specific code to decode.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

daz3210 wrote:
Admiral wrote:
I wouldn't have thought so since anyone who knows German can 'decode', whereas for encryption you need a specific code to decode.
Isn't that the same thing?
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Admiral wrote: I work on the principle that if I'm TXing then there's always people RXing, .
Yeah me !, Iv'e tuned in a few times whilst you've been on red bull & vodka slobbering into yer mic and banging on about how i should be banned, And how you've sent weety a few postal orders to ''fix it'' :twisted:
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
daz3210

Post by daz3210 »

Admiral wrote:
daz3210 wrote:
Admiral wrote:
Isn't that the same thing?
No.

The German language is not a secret.

An encryption code is.
sierra_za
Regular
Regular

Post by sierra_za »

Where in the licence does it state anything about private calls? Nothing on a licence or NoV states anything about DMR or how it operates from what I've seen.

M0AUT as a UK BM admin has allowed the streaming to be resumed of the UK talk groups but there's been a large fuss to put a dent in BM HQ's "record and let anyone access it" project. A few posts on FB have been removed when people have asked how, what and why. Seems that the BM Admins think it will benefit the users to have their qso's recorded.

If the admins wanted to record it just for the purpose of monitoring how the network is being used, then I could understand. But just so Joe Soap who forgot a pen and paper to make notes during a qso can access a transcript? Or on one of the posts that were removed, so the guy can listen to a net he may miss. How desperate do these people get? As one user stated, someone could access his qso's, get details of equipment & purchases as well as his routines and plan a house robbery - these things happen.

We are not careful about personal information as well as general things we say over the air. Just like people have been warned on FB which is a digital media. Many messaging systems are now encrypted however amateur radio is open to all to hear. Even if info is not directly - call signs are - many people are on qrz (or similar) and I've heard people say many times "look me up on qrz" or "I'm on qrz".

I think this is pushing the boundaries of digital radio.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

What a carryon this DMR farce is.... What with a touchy repeater keeper and a trio of mouthpiece dumplings intent on upsettimg him we now have some DMR Uber God deciding all this crap is going to be recorded....

Its truly rediculous.... {bnghd}