Registering for D-Star Access

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
Test for Echo
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0ECN

Registering for D-Star Access

Post by Test for Echo »

I've just got my first D-Star radio (ICOM IC-7100), and have a question prompted by the D-Star instructions in the manual.

My location in Hampshire places me just out of range of the Fareham repeater to the South, and barely in range of Amersham repeater to the North East.

The radio manual says I must register to access a gateway / repeater, but when I checked both of these in the dstarusers.org web site, saw no contact information.

Does that mean they are open access ?

Since I'm not currently in range of either, it's impossible for me to test if they are open access.

I'd like to resolve the access question if possible, so that if I jump in the car and put myself in range, don't find myself unable to access and a wasted trip for nothing.

Mark
Shortwave Signals - An Alexa skill for identifying shortwave broadcasts
Search for Shortwave Signals in the UK, USA, Australia and Canada Alexa Skill stores.

Direct Alexa Store links: UK USA
Paul-H
Regular
Regular

Re: Registering for D-Star Access

Post by Paul-H »

It's all done on t'internet.

http://www.d-staruk.co.uk/categoryRende ... oryID=3889

Once registered there you'll be registered for the whole Dstar system.
Central UK
"Where shoes were made"
Test for Echo
Regular
Regular

Post by Test for Echo »

Thanks for the link. I've been to the repeater lists in search of details, but missed that one.

The instructions are straight forward enough, but there are no gateway registration urls or contact details for the nearest repeaters.

Clicking on a few random repeaters around the country also brings up repeaters with no registration urls or contact information.

What am I missing, have repeater owners withheld contact information for a reason ?

Mark
Search for Shortwave Signals in the UK, USA, Australia and Canada Alexa Skill stores.

Paul-H
Regular
Regular

Post by Paul-H »

You don't need to register on a gateway or any particular repeater.
Once registered at that link above, you'll be registered on the whole Dstar network.
I've no idea why the repeaters keepers contact details are missing though.
Central UK
"Where shoes were made"
Test for Echo
Regular
Regular

Post by Test for Echo »

Thanks again.

After executing some further Google-Fu, I've now located the ICOM registration page which appears to cut through the whole process, so I think I'm sorted now !

Mark