UK DMR...whats going on??

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1666
Joined: 28 May 2010, 09:28
Location: west yorkshire

Re: UK DMR...whats going on??

Post by sec1223 » 10 Apr 2016, 10:49

sierra_za wrote:
Conclusion
There's more activity on PMR446 during the day on a Saturday than I heard both evenings. The logs do show what goes on and it's clear that BM has a lot of quiet time in the evenings in comparison to Phoenix. Maybe there are alternative times and days when there is more activity. I personally find that evenings from 19.00 - 23.00 are when I get on the radio and I will continue to monitor during the week day evenings to see what happens.
you'l find that a lot of people have been scared away unfortunately.
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds

paulears
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 648
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 22:41
Call Sign: G4RMT
Location: North East Suffolk
Contact:

Re: UK DMR...whats going on??

Post by paulears » 10 Apr 2016, 12:09

Being a reader about digital amateur radio than a user, simply because of geography, it suddenly occurred to me that all the problems seem to be because the system possibilities are greater than the system can cope with. Analogue repeaters are often unused because the same old people inhabit them, and there's not enough chat. So you link them all up, and the chat is too much, and winds people up, who are seeking 'different' chat. Is this not the same as the old VHF and HF net battles, where a frequency would become the old radar ops net every thursday at 19.50, or an organisation that not everyone agrees with or wishes to join, always uses a certain frequency every week. Cunning plans laid to have 'innocent' chats that we in operation when the net should start. That was always messy and unpleasant, with lots of licenses being waved around and certain paragraphs recited. digital amateur radio has just re-enacted all these old problems and made it country, and perhaps world wide.

I guess the technology has just made an old problem come back, but worse and covering a much greater area.

As an outsider - the notion that a talk group covers the entire world but only one person can talk at a time MUST be madness. Is this not like when somebody activates one of those rare little islands considered a country and the whole replies to the CQ?

All this Bandmeister vs Phoenix stuff just splits the world into two separate groups doesn't it. Perhaps there should be many others to spread out the traffic. The net can cope with that, but two networks of duplex entry points can't handle the traffic. Have I misunderstood the whole thing?

Without being able to hear all this, I'm guessing.

GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1206
Joined: 28 Mar 2014, 12:27

Re: UK DMR...whats going on??

Post by GeeFull » 10 Apr 2016, 13:17

paulears wrote:Being a reader about digital amateur radio than a user, simply because of geography, it suddenly occurred to me that all the problems seem to be because the system possibilities are greater than the system can cope with. Analogue repeaters are often unused because the same old people inhabit them, and there's not enough chat. So you link them all up, and the chat is too much, and winds people up, who are seeking 'different' chat. Is this not the same as the old VHF and HF net battles, where a frequency would become the old radar ops net every thursday at 19.50, or an organisation that not everyone agrees with or wishes to join, always uses a certain frequency every week. Cunning plans laid to have 'innocent' chats that we in operation when the net should start. That was always messy and unpleasant, with lots of licenses being waved around and certain paragraphs recited. digital amateur radio has just re-enacted all these old problems and made it country, and perhaps world wide.

I guess the technology has just made an old problem come back, but worse and covering a much greater area.

As an outsider - the notion that a talk group covers the entire world but only one person can talk at a time MUST be madness. Is this not like when somebody activates one of those rare little islands considered a country and the whole replies to the CQ?

All this Bandmeister vs Phoenix stuff just splits the world into two separate groups doesn't it. Perhaps there should be many others to spread out the traffic. The net can cope with that, but two networks of duplex entry points can't handle the traffic. Have I misunderstood the whole thing?

Without being able to hear all this, I'm guessing.
Could not agree more!
It's always been the case that when groups get "large" and wide spread on a given frequency, stuck there by virtue of it being a point of contact "net situation" gathering point, frictions and bickering eventually ensue!
This rarely happens on random simplex one on one's, where often the conversation has been there, taken place, been signed off on, and done and dusted, long before the disgruntled that the frequency is being "hogged" people descend!
The more stuff becomes interlinked global, the more chance one persons interpretation of whats acceptable, for whatever time scale of "chatting", conflicts with someone else's point of view!
To me some are just trying to reinvent the general communications QSO wheel, albeit the new wheel is well overly complicated, extremely limited, and for many no great "general pass the time hobby amateur radio QSO'ing" benefit in the long run!
You can do that in a multitude of less expensive, far simpler, less administrative mad, practical ways! ;)
Just thinking of analogue repeaters, people who use one regularly are often accused of "hogging it", people who use it regular but don't contribute are accused of "dodging subs and sponging on someone else's generosity with no contribution!", folks that simply ignore it are deemed as missing out, or neglecting it by letting it sit idle, just sending out idents occasionally, wasting precious air time!
You can't win in this hobby game, that's for sure!

User avatar
WhiteNoisePoetry
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 386
Joined: 31 Aug 2011, 16:15
Location: Over the hills and far away.

Re: UK DMR...whats going on??

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry » 10 Apr 2016, 15:06

I don't have a DMR rig anymore.

I didn't hear any of the problems written about on here though.
But I just simply found it as pointless as everything else.

The QSO rate was the same as going on analogue repeaters or simplex, and the level of intelligence was just as low as anywhere else too {bnghd}

Back to HF CW, or a hot soldering iron for me I'm afraid.

73 de WNP

User avatar
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9843
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 21:20
Call Sign: 26TM157
Location: MK-UK

Re: UK DMR...whats going on??

Post by Admiral » 12 Apr 2016, 07:55

I would guess that if you randomly selected 100 CW users and 100 non-CW users then the IQ would be no different. The only difference is the desire to learn morse, not the capability to learn morse.

DMR is a bit like the internet used to be, it was first inhabited by academics and institutions of learning and high commerce, then very wealthy people, and then along came the great unwashed, and the previous two groups got the hump because their secret domain (pardon the pun) had been taken over by the hoi polloi. Well with the hundred Dollar Chinese sets the rif-raf have arrived en-mass (including me), and for now the 'elite' aren't too happy about it.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

User avatar
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1896
Joined: 07 Feb 2011, 23:00
Location: In the BedWreck Cafe

Re: UK DMR...whats going on??

Post by LeakyFeeder » 12 Apr 2016, 12:31

I honestly dont think the repeaters have the capacity to handle DMR traffic if keeps growing as it is...

Another point is this....how come my local box appears to be in use yet i receive nothing....? Are there secret groups n calls going on...cos somebody is using it

User avatar
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9843
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 21:20
Call Sign: 26TM157
Location: MK-UK

Re: UK DMR...whats going on??

Post by Admiral » 12 Apr 2016, 12:41

LeakyFeeder wrote: Another point is this....how come my local box appears to be in use yet i receive nothing....? Are there secret groups n calls going on...cos somebody is using it
Have a look on DSD+ or on a hacked 380, might be an obscure TG that you don't have punched in, maybe the Peruvian TG.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1666
Joined: 28 May 2010, 09:28
Location: west yorkshire

Re: UK DMR...whats going on??

Post by sec1223 » 12 Apr 2016, 15:18

Tg9 s2 has been busy all afternoon. There was even a vk chatting away.

Thing is, I'm sure that it's had tg235 tied up and not been able to be used.
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds

BK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1246
Joined: 17 Jan 2007, 11:17

Re: UK DMR...whats going on??

Post by BK » 12 Apr 2016, 16:53

LeakyFeeder wrote:Another point is this....how come my local box appears to be in use yet i receive nothing....? Are there secret groups n calls going on...cos somebody is using it
I've been noticing this ever since the local repeater moved over to Brandmeister. Whenever I monitor (which admittedly isn't very often) it always seems to be in use, and yet I can never hear anything. I've been meaning to get the dongle out and investigate, but haven't got round to it yet.

GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1206
Joined: 28 Mar 2014, 12:27

Re: UK DMR...whats going on??

Post by GeeFull » 12 Apr 2016, 17:46

LeakyFeeder wrote:I honestly dont think the repeaters have the capacity to handle DMR traffic if keeps growing as it is...

Another point is this....how come my local box appears to be in use yet i receive nothing....? Are there secret groups n calls going on...cos somebody is using it
Secret encrypted TG's, the mind boggles, all in the spirit of general communications amateur radio chit chat of course! :lolno:
Where will it end?
Tears is my guess.

sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1666
Joined: 28 May 2010, 09:28
Location: west yorkshire

Re: UK DMR...whats going on??

Post by sec1223 » 12 Apr 2016, 17:59

have you got all the reflectors in your contacts list?
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds

User avatar
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1896
Joined: 07 Feb 2011, 23:00
Location: In the BedWreck Cafe

Re: UK DMR...whats going on??

Post by LeakyFeeder » 12 Apr 2016, 18:01

When i dont hear anything yet its in use i usually had a listen on the input.. Surprise surprise there was plenty going..yet nowt coming out..
Maybe i shud hack my 380 n see whats going on

User avatar
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9843
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 21:20
Call Sign: 26TM157
Location: MK-UK

Re: UK DMR...whats going on??

Post by Admiral » 12 Apr 2016, 18:09

LeakyFeeder wrote:When i dont hear anything yet its in use i usually had a listen on the input.. Surprise surprise there was plenty going..yet nowt coming out..
Maybe i shud hack my 380 n see whats going on
I've been using the hacked firmware for about 2 months and nothing bad has happened so far, radio hasn't caught fire and not woken up to a horses head next to me.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

User avatar
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1896
Joined: 07 Feb 2011, 23:00
Location: In the BedWreck Cafe

Re: UK DMR...whats going on??

Post by LeakyFeeder » 12 Apr 2016, 18:15

sec1223 wrote:have you got all the reflectors in your contacts list?
Errr not sure tbh.. I didnt program it..tried to but it all.went Pete Tong so got it sorted at work

...
Admiral wrote:
LeakyFeeder wrote:When i dont hear anything yet its in use i usually had a listen on the input.. Surprise surprise there was plenty going..yet nowt coming out..
Maybe i shud hack my 380 n see whats going on
I've been using the hacked firmware for about 2 months and nothing bad has happened so far, radio hasn't caught fire and not woken up to a horses head next to me.
Horses head ffs!! :lol:

sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1666
Joined: 28 May 2010, 09:28
Location: west yorkshire

Re: UK DMR...whats going on??

Post by sec1223 » 12 Apr 2016, 21:03

Hmmmmm. What to do.. do I tell you how to sort it or do I leave you to sort it out fir your self as mentioned before.

After all, all the info is on the net as they say
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest