Has AWY Been Kidnapped?

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
sierra_za
Regular
Regular

Re: Has AWY Been Kidnapped?

Post by sierra_za »

pete_uk wrote:I do wonder whats going on between the repeater keepers and CC-3 or Pigeon sorry Phoenix as so many are going over to the Brandmiester network. The two people behind the UK BM network seem to be doing a good job.
It's all simple - a few Yorkshire Terriors were making a lot of noise couse they wanted everything to run their way whilst their mateys organised an exit of 10 repeaters from Phoenix to BM. Now that they are on BM, there have been some issues, confusion and Yorkshire Terriors trying to tell others how BM should operate. fun bit was their qso's are getting over run by world wide talk groups. The grass is not always greener on the other side.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

sierra_za wrote:
2E1IIP wrote:You been helping yourself to a line or two of snif old man?
What the fwuck are you on about?
M3AWY could only access 2 repeaters - GB7HM (no longer on the network) and GB7FW (off line)
I would have thought BX would have been in range for him. Still, if he was a player then he could have just VoiPed into the network.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
sierra_za
Regular
Regular

Post by sierra_za »

BX is on the Salop Network (http://salop-repeater.weebly.com/) which is basically like the South West Cluster
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

sierra_za wrote:BX is on the Salop Network (http://salop-repeater.weebly.com/) which is basically like the South West Cluster
I realised that about a minute after posting, but didn't seem worth editing.

Now that the novelty factor of talking worldwide from a handie on my sofa has worn off (took about a week), I kind of like the idea of just local TGs, I've not heard anything worthwhile said on TG1 or TG235 to date, most of the good stuf is on TG9, TG80 and TG81, maybe a few more keepers should pull out the RJ45 plug?
sierra_za
Regular
Regular

Post by sierra_za »

Admiral wrote:Now that the novelty factor of talking worldwide from a handie on my sofa has worn off (took about a week), I kind of like the idea of just local TGs, I've not heard anything worthwhile said on TG1 or TG235 to date, most of the good stuf is on TG9, TG80 and TG81, maybe a few more keepers should pull out the RJ45 plug?
Why pull the plug, then you're just left with TG9?
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

sierra_za wrote:
Admiral wrote:Now that the novelty factor of talking worldwide from a handie on my sofa has worn off (took about a week), I kind of like the idea of just local TGs, I've not heard anything worthwhile said on TG1 or TG235 to date, most of the good stuf is on TG9, TG80 and TG81, maybe a few more keepers should pull out the RJ45 plug?
Why pull the plug, then you're just left with TG9?
Well you could double it up with another TG on the other slot, still double the channels of an analogue repeater.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

AWY. Mr Hoofe.. strange how he lists being in the reg Army for donkeys years yet on his Linkedin profile/timeline there is no ref at all to his long forces career...weird eh.... hes one big time WALT

https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Walts#Forces_Walts
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

LeakyFeeder wrote:AWY. Mr Hoofe.. strange how he lists being in the reg Army for donkeys years yet on his Linkedin profile/timeline there is no ref at all to his long forces career...weird eh.... hes one big time WALT

Well I'm definitely not one of them Walts, 9 years RN and 6 years RFA, never dodged a bullet, never killed an insurgent with my bare hands and never joined the SAS.

Sat in a comms room under a red glow for 9 years without too much drama, and although joined the RFA as a senior NCO, soon found out that everybody did their own job, and then did time in the galley, steered the tub in the wee hours when the First Mate was drunk, and cleaned the bogs too.

Not quite as glamorous as you suggest AWYs' forces career may or may not have been.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Admiral wrote:
LeakyFeeder wrote:AWY. Mr Hoofe.. strange how he lists being in the reg Army for donkeys years yet on his Linkedin profile/timeline there is no ref at all to his long forces career...weird eh.... hes one big time WALT

Well I'm definitely not one of them Walts, 9 years RN and 6 years RFA, never dodged a bullet, never killed an insurgent with my bare hands and never joined the SAS.

Sat in a comms room under a red glow for 9 years without too much drama, and although joined the RFA as a senior NCO, soon found out that everybody did their own job, and then did time in the galley, steered the tub in the wee hours when the First Mate was drunk, and cleaned the bogs too.

Not quite as glamorous as you suggest AWYs' forces career may or may not have been.
Had the dubious pleasure of cross docking from Vince to an RFA ship many moons ago.. Tidespring? Spose the ship was comfy enough for us scaleys and rather relaxed compared to other lot .. not my idea of fun though :shock:
WhiteNoisePoetry

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry »

Heard another pointless worldwide net being run this afternoon.
Don't think it was AWY or whatever, but just as pointless.
Might have been an M6 ?

Then again, I find 99% of nets bloody pointless.
Check in, signal report, nice to hear you, see you next weekend, 73.

What a load of crap.

73 de WNP
sierra_za
Regular
Regular

Post by sierra_za »

That's an official DMR-MARC net
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Drove down to MK today and had a mate along... Tried to explain DMR to him but in the end i gave up.. I honestly cant make sense of all the crap n nonsense thats happening on there...
Just seems to attract the attention seeking mickey mouse callsigns trying a bit toooo hard to be all hammy n various... Barking 'GROUP' at each other an all the other 'hi hi' crap... Right bunch of prize pillocks..

Anyway the DMR stuff is going... Already sold the DP3600... Just the DM to get rid of..
MD380 is a keeper as it cost peanuts...

Blandmeister, phoenix, D St*r..et al... Can shove the lot straight up the DMR MARC orifice :lol:
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I drove to MK yesterday as well.

I tell people I collect stamps, it's easier than trying to explain why the closest repeater to Milton Keynes is AV and there's one in Suffolk called MK.

And what's with this 'new' call I hear, 'blah-blah, etc, etc listening for any possible contacts' ??? At least I've not heard anyone call DX on TG1 yet.
sierra_za
Regular
Regular

Post by sierra_za »

It's only now that BrandMeister has popped up is their so much uncertainty. Phoenix still runs on as it did previously, still providing a connection to DMR-MARC. The only difference is now that all of Scotland and the majority of the north are connected to BrandMeister as is 1 in Northern Ireland and 2 on the south coast.
pete_uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pete_uk »

A load of repeaters across the pond are joining. That network is exploding.

I think what was, and will be again, is that you will have local/regional TG's on slot 1 and reflector access on slot 2. Which makes some sense to me