DMR registration - data protection.

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
WhiteNoisePoetry

DMR registration - data protection.

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry »

Just trying to get my head around this.

Nowt wrong with needing an ID to make the system work, otherwise it wouldn't work.

But providing a copy of your licence to an entity that is unknown, unaccountable in law and doesn't make any attempt to comply
with the Data Protection Act is not really good enough.

What about those of us that for example are particulars withheld for security / work matters ?

I trust no one - ever !

73 de WNP
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: DMR registration - data protection.

Post by Admiral »

I couldn't agree more, I go even further and ask why a group of individuals can make up their own rules not sanctioned by Ofcom?

I guess they will say that the information is in the public domain, personally I'm not on qrz.com, so my information is slightly harder to obtain than that.
My information is not that sensitive as my amateur licence is in no way linked with my profession, if it was then there could be trouble as even though my job is very dull compared to an MI6 spy, I'm still bound by the OSA.

All that said, I have a DMR-MARC number because I want to play with their ball, but as I use my middle name and not first name, they took my first name from my licence and one fool accused me of being a pirate as the name on his screen didn't match what I said it was. Hey-ho.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
WhiteNoisePoetry

Well since there is no private networks on the amateur bands, they can't enforce anything anyway.
It's easy to just stick an ID number in the radio, and if anyone gets shirty, just use another ;-)

I've just downloaded a whole cack load of ID's vs callsigns is they want to start playing god with me, they'll have another thing coming ;-)

I don't mind needing an ID number, no different to when we used to play TCPIP on packet radio years ago.

But a simple email / phone call / chat at local club with the regional admin did the trick.

No bullshit about proving you have a licence and giving up personal data to anyone.

My address is private, I'm legally allowed to keep it private and no one has the authority to insist upon it to use an amateur repeater network,
other wise is become a private system by default, which is not allowed.

73 de WNP
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I don't mind confessing that my licence address is about three moves out of date, so they can do what they want with my information, but that isn't the point, if these people get their server hacked then they could be in more trouble than they care to wish for.

I don't actually understand why everyone needs a unique RID anyway, I thought I had a unique callsign to identify myself to others on the air? A unique RID won't be much use to someone on a DP3400 and the like.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Well they never asked me for a copy of any licence...

But.....im not at all keen on some foreign group telling us what we can n cant do... Bit like the EU in Brussels...

They (DMR MARC) sent a good friend a rather snotty email 'warning him of his future conduct' on the DMR network....no explanation as to what he is alleged to have done...jus a warning!
Guilty as charged....

Then DMR MARC wonder why folk are turning to use the system with all manner of dodgy id
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Admiral wrote:I don't mind confessing that my licence address is about three moves out of date, so they can do what they want with my information, but that isn't the point, if these people get their server hacked then they could be in more trouble than they care to wish for.

I don't actually understand why everyone needs a unique RID anyway, I thought I had a unique callsign to identify myself to others on the air? A unique RID won't be much use to someone on a DP3400 and the like.
My thoughts exactly, and one of the reasons I have never bought into the whole "unique ID" registration crap that goes with wanting to have a "dabble" , with what just amounts to another radio "mode" at the end of the day, be it DMR, D-Star, or whatever!
All smacks too much of roll your trouser leg up, and swear allegiance to me, big brother and clique club mentality at its best.
For every other analogue mode, my call sign given "on air" is perfectly acceptable, but not if I want to play "digital" within a closed shop group apparently.
Keep your groups and clique, I will keep my licensed on air call sign route, and I am convinced increasingly, I ain't missing much! ;)
WhiteNoisePoetry

>Keep your groups and clique, I will keep my licensed on air call sign route, and I am convinced increasingly, I ain't missing much! ;)

Yeah, same crap talked about - different systems to convey it.
I'm not gonna give up my Juche principles for a bunch of tin gods running a repeater system.
Gimmee a Morse key anyday.

73 de WNP
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

WhiteNoisePoetry wrote:>Keep your groups and clique, I will keep my licensed on air call sign route, and I am convinced increasingly, I ain't missing much! ;)

I'm not gonna give up my Juche principles for a bunch of tin gods running a repeater system.

73 de WNP
Ah CW, but now you are talking a mode that can't be mastered with a googled how to, and a bit of hooky downloaded software.
In short, radio in its purest sense. :thumbup:
WhiteNoisePoetry

GeeFull wrote:
WhiteNoisePoetry wrote:>Keep your groups and clique, I will keep my licensed on air call sign route, and I am convinced increasingly, I ain't missing much! ;)

73 de WNP
Ah CW, but now you are talking a mode that can't be mastered with a googled how to, and a bit of hooky downloaded software.
In short, radio in its purest sense. :thumbup:
Which reminds me, ever seen an unboxing video for a Morse key yet ? ;-)

73 de WNP
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

WhiteNoisePoetry

You owe me a new keyboard ! {bnghd}

73 de WNP
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

It's in the post.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

They asked for a copy, I sent it. Nothing in it is private - my details are in loads of public data records. I agree that those who request anonymity should be able to keep it.

However - the data protection act, certainly in the UK does place legal requirements on data security, and what they can do with it. I doubt keeping up with the demands of the act are something that a bunch of individuals can really do. That said, you're joining a club or an association and get in return a membership number. Nothing really wrong with it, and probably a thankless and time consuming volunteer task. However - what a mailing list......
bigboyblue
Regular
Regular

Post by bigboyblue »

I'm no ham, and I thought their general idology with the system was 'this is my sand pit, and you ask if you want to play in it'.

I know they run gw3-trbo on their networks, so in effect, if you make up an ID, then the system will stun off your radio immediately it keys up. Same as multiple radios with the same ID. Not the end of the world, as you can just reprogram the radio to un stun it, but time consuming none the less.
Dodgey Dave
Regular
Regular

Post by Dodgey Dave »

As of tonight at midnight all talkgroups on time slot 1 go user activated..
In my opinion a load of rubbish a network run by a bunch of nobody's who want to limit qso's or activity as to make it there own network as nobody will want to use it in the end... Your scan function is now useless and pointless even monitoring anything unless you key up activate the talkgroup to listen. Your not even forced to hear anyone..

Another mode/network ruined by numptys with abit of power that's gone to there head haha