Dstar through samsung tab4

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Dstar through samsung tab4

Post by MW6ZAN »

Ok chaps i think you all know my feelings about digital, but if i wanted to just listen into a repeater through my samsung tab4 how would i go about it i would be wanting dstar would it be possible to do through that tablet, or would it only be possible via the expensive dstar kit ???.
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Dstar through samsung tab4

Post by sec1223 »

sdr dongle works on android
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:clap:
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

D Star? By eck lad thats a name from the past!!
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

The best way would be to get a mate with a D-Star radio and use the Tab4 to facetime them when they're using it.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

Ok so really the only way would be to lash out on a DStar enabled radio then i assume it would be easy to run dmr through the tab 4, o well not to worry to much bother im thinking i shall stick to hf. 73 -•-
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

No, no, on a serious note, so long as you have a PC or laptop that can run Win7 (you may even get away with an XP one so long as it isn't too ancient) or newer then you can use one of the ten quid SDR TV dongles to receive D-Star via DSD+ which is free to use software.

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-radio-sc ... -with-dsd/
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Unfortunately
MW6ZAN wrote: they can shove it where the sun dont shine, i gave up on nwindows back last summer no more dam microsoft updates for me i got myself a galaxy 4 running android kitkat does every thing i want and runs a bloody lot faster than windows
You can use the RTL dongles with Android devices using a USB-On-the-go cable, however you might struggle to find an equivalent of DSD+ for Android that can do what you want.

I'm not sure though, I've never looked.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

kr0ne wrote:Unfortunately
MW6ZAN wrote: they can shove it where the sun dont shine, i gave up on nwindows back last summer no more dam microsoft updates for me i got myself a galaxy 4 running android kitkat does every thing i want and runs a bloody lot faster than windows
You can use the RTL dongles with Android devices using a USB-On-the-go cable, however you might struggle to find an equivalent of DSD+ for Android that can do what you want.

I'm not sure though, I've never looked.
AH.

As kr0ne says, you can use an SDR dongle via OTG on that thing, but the radio software isn't free unless you want a restricted demo version, it's restricted so as people can download it and make sure it works on their device before buying, and as for decoding and using a virtual cable on Android, good luck.

A Google search may bring up some groups that are giving it a go, but if it's an old 2 core snapdragon or similar then forget it.
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

Admiral thanks but the part of my post thats been pasted was in ref to windows 7 thats what needed to be shoved with all the problems i had with it. Im running a samsung galaxy tab 4 on android kitkat not microsoft thats what i was enquiring about, i know i can run a dongle via windows but not got that now digital to me is like brain surgery not been interested in this revolution digital tec would like to be able to receive dstar but im still undecided as to what system to invest in dstar seems to be very expensive even for a handy, also this new yeasu fusion system dmr seems to be the cheapest but would that be viable to spend out on a limited system like dmr im stuck between a rock and a hard place on this may just wait a few years to see as to which way things go, also maybe the price will reduce to more realistic prices thanks anyway. 73 -•-
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Yes, the OTG cable is something that allows you to plug USB devices, like the 10 quid RTL dongle, into your Android tablet.

It's just a case of whether you can find the software (and have the grunt in your tablet) to do the decoding.

From what Admiral said, it sounds like there may be some paid-for options but I haven't looked into it myself.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

The radio software is great, and was about seven quid when I got it for my Note8, but that just gives you analogue, the rest I fear is maybe unknown territory.

And just for the record, I think D-Star sounds awful, it really does have that hollow, tinny, daleky sound in my opinion.
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

Thanks kr0ne admiral for the advice, funny thing is dmr sounds like that as well very tinny to some degree will be looking into receive only software, thing is why can you not get a program that would work on dstar and poss dmr or am i wishfull thinking. It would be nice to get a rig that would do all digital but thats a long way off, i like yeasu kit and the fusion system sounds really tidy but its the price of the kit thats the sticking point thanks chaps. best 73 -•-
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

If you've got the cash then search AOR AR-DV1.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

MW6ZAN wrote:why can you not get a program that would work on dstar and poss dmr or am i wishfull thinking
You can! For free as well!

http://www.dsdplus.com/

Unfortunately it doesn't run on Android though so you'll either have to do a bit of digging to see if there is something that will, or you'll need to mop up all that water and put the baby back in the bathtub! :P