TYT MD380 firmware reverse engineered

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Re: TYT MD380 firmware reverse engineered

Post by kr0ne »

Zan's right... I mean look at what happened to VCR market. It never fully recovered from the war between Betamax, VHS and Video 2000 and ultimately all three died out!

Food for thought alright.
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

Admiral i have a digital broadcast radio here and the quality of the incoming signal is crap in comparison to the fm old band two analogue, drop out of the digital signal is dire, and audio is crap. Its now consigned to the attic gathering dust, I had a chat with a gw3 few weeks ago who had borrowed a dmr radio to try it out, he had it for a month or two, and his findings were not good audio was very thin and tinny drop out was dire and he would not buy into this digital system thing is for every one saying its the next best thing to sliced bread five will say its total pants. Kr0ne i still have and use a vhs video player and would love to get a 8 track audio player for my 4x4 they are like gold bricks to find these days.also ref the betamax verses vhs, my brother worked for redifusion and granada in the 1960s to early 1990s he is a gw1 callsign the said at the time betamax was a far better video system because the video quality was far better than vhs also the drive system on the betamax of a far better design less motors, the tape was as played returned in a loop so after watching the video no rewinding was required a flaw in the vhs design. The only reason that vhs took the market was in fact was on the price. The betamax was more expensive to manufacture and the vhs was cheaper as to if dmr wins in this digital war we are going to have to wait and see.
Last edited by MW6ZAN on 27 Jan 2016, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

MW6ZAN wrote: I had a chat with a gw3 few weeks ago who had borrowed a dmr radio to try it out, he had it for a month or two, and his findings were not good audio was very thin and tinny drop out was dire and he would not buy into this digital system thing

Well praise the Lord, we don't want G3's on digital.

When an exotic station is rolling in and out on the trop on SSB then it doesn't make for pleasant listening compared to BBC Radio4, but surely audio quality has little to do with amateur radio? Maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first or last time, surely it's about having fun, everyone does their own thing.

I'm a digital noob as I was vehemently against D-Star because of the expense of buying a licence to use a codec and sponsored repeaters, that's just my view and clearly others disagree and they have fun on the D-Star system and good luck to them, DMR has come into the ham world and is effectively 'open source', so it can appeal to a wider audience. If you don't fancy it then fine, but don't knock it until you've tried it. You may even like broccoli if you give it a go.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

MW6ZAN wrote: i still have and use a vhs video player
How ironic then that, out of the three competing standards, you chose the one with the crappiest quality! :P
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Welcome to the new forum, thanks Mr W.

DMR radios will soon be the same price as Bumfeng analogue radios, so by 2020 I reckon that most of the analogue repeaters will be shut down.

So it will be a choice of digital or a whole lot of white noise.
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

Yes agree but i have not had the pleasure of speaking to any body that has dstar or fusion,and they would be i think biased against the other two systems any way so i think its time to say goodbye to vhf uhf and stick on hf of which i shall be doing good day 73 -•-
Last edited by MW6ZAN on 27 Jan 2016, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Admiral wrote:Welcome to the new forum, thanks Mr W.

DMR radios will soon be the same price as Bumfeng analogue radios, so by 2020 I reckon that most of the analogue repeaters will be shut down.

So it will be a choice of digital or a whole lot of white noise.
Don't knock white noise, it can be quite soothing and peaceful, unlike some digital audio it has been my misfortune to listen to! :D
Each to their own, I hope it all pans out for the digital new guys on the block, knock yourselves out, its what we did with analogue for many decades, unaided by algorithms and "0's and 1's" ! :thumbup:
I am sure the future will be bright, whilst not necessarily "orange", I can't say the prospect of not being there upsets me too much, but that's generational changes for you.

Best 73!
I mean that!
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

GeeFull wrote:Each to their own
Amen to that! It's a big hobby and there is plenty of room for everyone in it!
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

Sorry posted in error
Last edited by MW6ZAN on 27 Jan 2016, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I'm knocking on a bit now Geefull, so I'm not too sure age comes into it, I have now taken semi-retirement and full retirement will follow shortly, so idle hands are the devils tools and all that, therefore with no xyl to get under the feet of and a dislike for gardening, I have opted to explore the bands a bit more before going SK.

Yes, the system I'm using at the moment is a poor relative of the mobile 'phone cellular system, I use my cheap Chinese handie to access a repeater 9 miles away, that then connects to the WWW and activates another repeater on the other side of the World and a guy in Canada hears me on his cheap Chinese handie via his local repeater. I get all that, and accept all of the 'not real radio' criticisms and have some sympathy with the case against. But, it's still a lot of fun, and nice making contact with like minded people globally that I would normally have to pump out 100w on 40m to get them at certain times of the year, not withstanding the alligator (all mouth and no ears) European stations climbing all over you with a kilowatt and beam.

So no, not everyones cup of tea granted, but hopefully I will branch out into simplex to find the working usefulness of these radios, and, apologies for repetition, these things are well in the budget of most people now, so cost no longer equates to elitism, I do however question the DMR-MARC statement that people should not attempt to access a repeater without one of their issued two million or so radio ID number, this does smack at individuals who are over stepping the line with regard to making up rules when Ofcom make the rules and not them.

And 73 to you too.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I got bit lost in some of the previous video examples?
Kr0ne i still have and use a vhs video player and would love to get a 8 track audio player for my 4x4 they are like gold bricks to find these days.also ref the betamax verses vhs, my brother worked for redifusion and granada in the 1960s to early 1990s he is a gw1 callsign the said at the time betamax was a far better video system because the video quality was far better than vhs also the drive system on the betamax of a far better design less motors, the tape was as played returned in a loop so after watching the video no rewinding was required a flaw in the vhs design. The only reason that vhs took the market was in fact was on the price. The betamax was more expensive to manufacture and the vhs was cheaper as to if dmr wins in this digital war we are going to have to wait and see.
8 tracks were a loop, home video in any cassette based format has NEVER been in a loop.

VHS took the market for a much simpler reason. Back then, a high proportion of TV and video use in the home was rental. You mentioned Redifusion and Granada, and ought to add in Visionhire. Visionhire used rebranded equipment, usually from Thorn, so Fergusons became Bairds. All three of these used the basic Ferguson machines, with different labels. The Thorn connection meant that Sony and Sanyo, and later Toshiba were unavailable, and these of course were Betamax machines. Hitachi, Ferguson, JVC and Panasonic were the VHS brands. Sanyo was the cheapest home vcd at that time, and was Betamax. Sony of course actually invented VHS, as well as Betamax - spotted that Beta was better, and licensed VHS to Matshushita (Panasonic) - they then licensed the VHS machines. So Sony made money from their Betamax products and a small amount from every VHS machine sold!

VHS won simply because of rental numbers. In retail, and non-national rental shops Betamax did rather well. At one time, there were 4 versions of one machine running. JCV made it, Radio Rentals, Hitachi and Baird badged it! That meant an awful lot of VHS machines appeared to be available.
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

MW6ZAN wrote: the tape was as played returned in a loop so after watching the video no rewinding was required a flaw in the vhs design.
thats deffo not true of any video cassette.
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

back on topic anyway....

anymore news on the firmware hack?
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

O yes betamax was in fact a looped spool hence no requirment to rewind a betamax tape cassette, also hardly any wear on the tape or in fact the betamax drive system the tape was sort of similar design i think to the 8 track cassette. repair rates with rediffusion from what i gather was 20 to 1 thats vhs to beta vhs motors were the main problem and scanning drive heads and of course the tape wear problem with the vhs system.we are wandering off topic i shall say no more. 73.
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

sorry buy your wrong on that one pal, unless you can prove me wrong !