TYT MD380 firmware reverse engineered

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Re: TYT MD380 firmware reverse engineered

Post by FakeJake »

On 2m there are parts of the band plan for 'all mode' and 'fm'. The repeater allocation is small though so you'll get both modes up there. 70cm is different though. Huge band, everything has its place on there.
Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

so has anyone got the new firmware up and running yet?
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I think it's theory at the moment, this guy has just planted the seed for others, I don't think it's a project he plans to dedicate his life to.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

Admiral wrote:I think it's theory at the moment, this guy has just planted the seed for others, I don't think it's a project he plans to dedicate his life to.
there is a firmware knocking about that some have tried ( so iv been told) but like you say admiral, i think its just theory just now..

it would be nice if it turns out right though and with the reverse engineering video being on hack-a-day, i dont think it will be long before the FW does actually come out.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I'm with you sect1223, I too hope it materialises, sadly my coding skills don't expand to radio firmware, I am just waiting for a clever person to take up the reigns and release it to dullards like me.
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Nice link, thank you.
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

Admiral wrote:Nice link, thank you.
anytime pal

it looks good but im still sceptical.... il deffo wait until a good few have done it or they come out with a better version.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Yeah, likewise, I'll let a few people brick theirs before I have a go, I'm not poor, but can't afford to trash £100 radios with dodgy firmware.
mountainpenguin
Regular
Regular

Post by mountainpenguin »

I am really excited by this.
Looking forward to getting codec2 running on it and possibly portable repeater/mobile mesh. Experimentation isn't that what amateur radio is all about?
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Yeah, looking forward to having a play around with this but like others, not keen to fund the "development costs" out of my own pocket, as it were.... :?

The thing that really intreagues me is that if we have the firmware then the possibilities are endless!
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

It's 'proper' coding too, this guy is getting excited about the spare 200kb of memory that can be released by removing the Chinese character set, DSD+ is also just 132kb, I just updated Adobe Acrobat Pro which is just a fancy text editor, and I notice that it is 1.5gb!!!!!

It won't change my life if it happens, but I have a second 380 on order so as I can mess about with it, if in the near future some clever person releases hacked firmware that has promiscuous mode to bypass the TGs, time slots and maybe the CCs as well, then it will give me a very useful device as a lot of the 1000 channels will be released due to having to often use 2 channels to listen to one frequency. if an organisation uses a couple of frequencies then that's 4 channels gone to listen to 1 system.

Hopefully it will just be a firmware hack, I don't fancy J-tagging the set as my eyes aren't up to it, I still think DSD has a big future on small hardware like the Pi Zero inside conventional scanners, there's another thread by BB about that.

And for anyone who poo-poos digital, I did until recently, but I took the plunge and haven't had this much fun with my clothes on for a very long time.
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

i dont care if its digital, hf, vhf, am, cb, air band or any other band or mode you can think of!.

its all radio to me, and thats my hobby that iv been interested in since the early 80's

the digital stuff is getting very interesting lately and thats a bonus .
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

Yes unfortunatly digital is here to stay but what system to purchase into, yeasu fusion or the icom dstar or just dmr 3 systems that cannot communicate with each other and apart from dmr very expensive. As i said its fragmenting the bands is this something that the under used amateur bands need.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I find it less controversial to just consider digital as a mode rather than a revolutionary new system.

TV is digital these days, so is a lot of broadcast radio, and if there are some new NoVs going that are just 100kc then digital has to be the preferred mode to use them.