TYT MD380 firmware reverse engineered

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: TYT MD380 firmware reverse engineered

Post by MW6ZAN »

Hi bigbloke hope you are aok thing is with me the problem is with digital its an unknown, i know analogue radio repaired lots of kit over the years but this new tec to me is basically a computer talking to a computer with a little bit of rf thrown in to the mix, to me not real radio.if it floats your boat nice one but its not for me, i have considered sliding into digital but it would be dstar if any but the main consideration for me would be the cost of upgrading a handset would not do so its down to a mobile or base unit and i cannot justify the cost of upgrading with the current icom prices. Thing is i would be quite happy to lash out on an upgrade on a nice hf base radio for the shack and pop my ic706 mk2 into my 4x4 40 meter mobile whip antenna that would be me sorted. Keep safe mate best 73 -•-
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

Admiral wrote:
sec1223 wrote:so.. do you have to put the color code and talk group in, or can you just put a frequency in and it will receive everything on that freq?
No, it doesn't seem to bypass the CC, I set mine to 0 and nothing got through, it only seems to bypasses the TGs.
Very interesting, What about slot operation? If you set a channel to recieve on slot 1 but the traffic is on slot 2 will it still receive the communications in the other timeslot or is this strictly for Talkgroups and Private calls only.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Excalibur wrote:
Admiral wrote:
sec1223 wrote:so.. do you have to put the color code and talk group in, or can you just put a frequency in and it will receive everything on that freq?
No, it doesn't seem to bypass the CC, I set mine to 0 and nothing got through, it only seems to bypasses the TGs.
Very interesting, What about slot operation? If you set a channel to recieve on slot 1 but the traffic is on slot 2 will it still receive the communications in the other timeslot or is this strictly for Talkgroups and Private calls only.
Hi Excalibur, long time no see.

With the limited testing I've done so far, it just seems to be TGs and private calls, it doesn't seem to allow both timeslots through.

Hopefully as the hacked firmware is classed as 'ver1.0' there is more to come, to be a true passthrough system then it would need to allow any CC, TG and timeslot.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

Admiral wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
Admiral wrote:
Hi Excalibur, long time no see.

With the limited testing I've done so far, it just seems to be TGs and private calls, it doesn't seem to allow both timeslots through.

Hopefully as the hacked firmware is classed as 'ver1.0' there is more to come, to be a true passthrough system then it would need to allow any CC, TG and timeslot.
Thanks for the quick reply, That's a shame but yea It will be interesting to see how the firmware progresses, Perhaps soon it will essentially make the TYT running this cracked firmware a hardware version of the "dsd" software.

Another thing that would be interesting to add is the ability to receive standard DMR text messages, The firmware that comes with the MD-380 currently uses the proprietary text message system (More information about this by radisification here http://radiosification.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... aging.html ) instead of the DMR standard, Having the feature to change between DMR standard and propertiery text messages would be useful especially in the case of a system near me using the text message feature of DMR.

I will be trying this firmware tonight with my TYT, I've got a Hytera PD365 dmr radio too now so I can do some testing out tonight and post results here.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

There are quite a few 'cross platform' text message error videos and blog entries out there, ie sending messages from true Mototrbo sets to Chinese clones using the settings.

This side of the 'listening' hobby is quite interesting as the few text messages that I've intercepted have been quite interesting to say the least, and one rather raunchy :crazy:
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

thats one thing iv never picked up it a text mssg.
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

sec1223 wrote:thats one thing iv never picked up it a text mssg.
You need to check for private calls and set your RID to the same as one of them, and if you have two radios then even better. Don't expect instant hits though, I've had about 3 in 4 months, and one of them came out in Chinese.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

MW6ZAN wrote:Hi bigbloke hope you are aok thing is with me the problem is with digital its an unknown
busy as hell mate! , but yes digital IS an unknown and thats precisely why it is ripe for "experimentation" in the terms of an amateur licence.
, i know analogue radio repaired lots of kit over the years but this new tec to me is basically a computer talking to a computer with a little bit of rf thrown in to the mix, to me not real radio.if it floats your boat nice one but its not for me
i dont have an issue at all. its a multi-faceted hobby with something for everyone. What i cant understand as a generic construct - is why people, who dont want to experiment with something feel the need to express a view that others shouldn't. it would be like me taking umbridge every time someone says "QSL 100% via the buro OM" when I have never sent a QSL card in my life and have no intention of starting to exchange them. i like my trees in Brazil, not falling through my letterbox :-) They do it , I dont. end of ☺
I have considered sliding into digital but it would be dstar if any but the main consideration for me would be the cost of upgrading a handset would not do so its down to a mobile or base unit and i cannot justify the cost of upgrading with the current icom prices.
whilst cost impact needs no further explanation/justification, im genuinely curious as to what it is about D-Star - an expensive Icom propietary ham only solution - that attracts you over other cheaper / more flexible digital systems?

For me, fusion and d-star are practically single network, single function devices whereas DMR gives me an FM handie, a digital ham radio , a business use radio, and a digital / analogue scanner for off-piste listening for a little over 100 quid. a metaphoric swiss army knife :-)
Thing is i would be quite happy to lash out on an upgrade on a nice hf base radio for the shack and pop my ic706 mk2 into my 4x4 40 meter mobile whip antenna that would be me sorted.
great! hf mobile is fun and can be very challenging in modern cars. i myself have blown up my stereos reversing cam input twice in 3 years with 10w on 40m! :D got a plan to fix that though
Keep safe mate best 73 -•-
you too. 73

regards

BB