crt ss6900n low on modulation ??

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

crt ss6900n low on modulation ??

Post by WARLOCK »

i have a rca ss6900n i bought off a member on here , i keep getting bad reports of my modulation is quite low the ic9 is set on 63 , i have tryed a power mike still reports are that the modulation is low anybody got any thoughts as to whats wroung ??
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: crt ss6900n low on modulation ??

Post by 108EH002 »

Take it you have the original mic aswell as power mic and is this in all modes = am/fm/ssb George ?

If only on FM then it could be the variable resistor that is marked usually FM Dev,as this is set too low ?

Does the mic need the wire on pin 4 disconnected ?
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
Retro_CB_Dude
Regular
Regular

Post by Retro_CB_Dude »

I'm having similar problem, and wondering if there is an interal adjustment ? Or perhaps something could be removed for more AM audio in my case?
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Low means how much percentage measured with the scope?
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Retro_CB_Dude
Regular
Regular

Post by Retro_CB_Dude »

No it means compared to majority of my other radios I use hooked up using as a base setup through my beam with low SWR basically. I'm not talking a BIG problem here but curious if there is a trimmer inside the unit for mic gain too. Don't know if they are marked inside either. Seems someone would know for sure without having to pop the cover myself. I know the mic gain on mine is in the menu for the 1st option having version 6 here!

73's
ChubbyChops
Call Sign: 26TM773

Post by ChubbyChops »

W501 is AM mod adjustment.
Retro_CB_Dude
Regular
Regular

Post by Retro_CB_Dude »

Thank you CC, much appriciated. Yeah not wanting it on default for AM, typically a bit LOW. AM here in USA tends to get a bit rough sometimes and one needs to be able to punch through with good solid clear audio. I don't like to over drive the circuit either! Wonders if clockwise is up or down, but it'll be easy enough to tell.

73's happy DXing