160ch Ford 505 CB

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
The Collector
Legend
Legend

160ch Ford 505 CB

Post by The Collector »

Hi all.

I bought the above radio for a tenner on ebay and it all seemed to work fine, but the dimmer and ch9 switches didn't work. I only test my radios with a rubber duck, but could tell the static sounded different when I pushed the dimmer in. Hmmm I thought and sorted out my 80ch Midland handheld from under 3 tons of sh** in the loft. As suspected, mid-block fired up and worked. I thought the ch9 might be splits, but after Googling where the split channels are, it didn't seem to work against the splits on my Petrusse Homebase. I then plugged a frequency counter in (after half an hour's rummaging) and found that sent the channels elsewhere. I then pressed the two buttons in at the same time and it changed frequencies again!

I have:

No buttons pressed in - UK40
Dimmer in - Mid block (cept)
ch9 in - 27.201 - 27.591
Dimmer + ch9 in - 26.635 - 26.955

I took the cases off and have this eprom board inside. Anyone know anything about this particular type? Sadly, it doesn't say Jentec on it lol ;)

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Avenger
Call Sign: 163TM122

Re: 160ch Ford 505 CB

Post by Avenger »

It doesn't say jentec on it "yet" Lol. I've never seen one like that but i like finding weird conversion boards or bleeps in rigs as long as they are not mint/boxed never been modified sets.
163TM122 - ROB
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I was wondering if it's a Tonks or Spectrum board, but I've never seen that sort of figure-of-eight symbol on the board before.

I did a quick search on here but no pictures came up apart from a previous topic about a Rotel's conversion with a Jentec add-on board.

I've gone against doctor's orders and clear-lacquered over the front panel, rubbed down and resprayed the knobs and also quickly done the covers which were dented, badly scored and pitted, so they're not perfect but much better. It's not excellent /mint, but when I've put it back together it'll look pretty tidy.

The Altai echo mic that came with it has its battery terminal corroded and falling off and the echo slider rail is well seized, so that's next on the agenda.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Don't forget to post before and after pics dave, I like seeing your handy work
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I didn't think to take any before pic's Mr.Buick, so I'd have to show a pic' of it again from the ebay ad' which will at least show the tatty top lid.

The channel selector and volume knob were worn down badly as usual to the black plastic underneath and as the only grey paint I have is a shade lighter than the original, they all had to be done. I wasn't about to go and buy any paint especially for it and I'm not supposed to go near paint (or any other) fumes, but I wore two face masks (one over the other), held my breath whilst spraying each piece and also sprayed out in the garden too. They were rubbed right down, primed, top-coated and then clear lacquered. When done from new, they just sprayed stright over the plastic with the metallic grey, not even priming or lacquering them and that's why they always wear so easily/badly. The same went for the Harrier CBX's front panel which always wears badly around the volume/ch. selector knobs, straight down to the unprimed aluminium. The switch covers look okay so I didn't do those.

It'll end up back on ebay at some point in the near future. I just wanted something cheap to have a mess with through boredom and to try and give the future buyer a bit of info about the expansion board used :)
cubwolf
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M3CBY

Post by cubwolf »

Its not a Tonks or Spectrum board.
I know Truck King used to sell a board that gave extra blocks alongside the mids but never came across one myself.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Cheers Dave. I've tried various search terms on the web, but have yet to find an identical one looking at the pictures. It could of course have been home-made by someone with knowledge of boards.