Optima mk3 feed back through speaker

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
steepeljack69
Call Sign: 26SF333

Optima mk3 feed back through speaker

Post by steepeljack69 »

I sold a mk3 to a guy on here,for sum reason he says when he speaks on am and Ssb it sounds like radio has talk back?i tried radio with a sm30 base mic before I sent radio and this didn’t happen,I totally trust Rich just any ideas y it might be doing this?i have told him to send it back and full refund.Just trying t work out y it was fine here?Any suggestions much appreciated.
13EL121
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 13DA121

Re: Optima mk3 feed back through speaker

Post by 13EL121 »

Maybe wrong mic wiring or RF feedback, bad SWR etc?
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

Can't understand as radio worked fine before I boxed it up and shipped it to the lad,strange.Anyway he's sending it back.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

No doubt when you receive it back the problem won't present itself. Radio's are funny things and can act differently in different circumstances.

13EL121 mentioned a couple of possibilities, all of which are valid. When it arrives back check the mic wiring. That would be my first port of call after doing an initial test.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
13EL121
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 13DA121

Post by 13EL121 »

Indeed funny things can happen. Check mic wiring, board and chassis screws, ground connections etc. Most times the radio is 100% OK and the problem comes from outside the radio. Sometimes there is error 30.

...the error sits 30cm in front of the radio. :D
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

Like I say worked spot on in my shack,I wouldn't have sold it knowing it had issu6.Anyone that knows me will tell u I go the bit extra when I sell any radio gear.I trust Rich who has it so just a funny one,anyway once it arrives back and if it's ok I have it sold straight away,just sorry it didn't work for him,nice radio.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Well I tried it again last night and same thing, Voice coming through the speaker loud. It's a bit like sitting in my shack with a megaphone shouting "CQ DX" but it's 100% fine on FM so the microphone must be ok. Shame as it is a nice radio.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

Like I say I tried the radio with the mic I sent wi the radio,the original mic has a fault I was told by the lad who bought it new but the radio did work spot on with that mic so I don’t have a clue,Rich just a quick one did u try original mic?i never tried it as I was told it didn’t work?i know if u don’t plug mic in like shown on the image on the radio then stuff happens.Strange
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

My mates just reminded me I had a Omegaforce that was doing same thing,sent it away to get fixed nothing wrong with it,rf getting in through a splitter box for my aerials.Took it out and radio was fine.
Last edited by steepeljack69 on 11 May 2019, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

If richy says it's not working properly then its not working properly, Hes a no BS kinda guy, You probably already know that, But just to reassure you :)
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

I have already told him I will refund him I don’t have a problem with him,just can’t understand anyway Radio is sold once it returns.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

I tried it with the original mic but thats not working. I thought RF feedback too so I tried it on another antenna, Dummy load, Different PSU etc etc but it's still there. I never suffer from RF in the shack so I dont put it down to that, Just one of those weird things I guess.
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

Once it arrives back I will give it a go,lad who was at mine when I tried it before posting it t u is going to haveit.I will let everyone know if radio does it when it’s back at mine.Again my apologies to Rich,I thought radio was ok.Thanks for your understanding.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

No problem Mark, These things happen. Mostly to me but they do happen :D
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

steepeljack69 wrote: 11 May 2019, 11:12 My mates just reminded me I had a Omegaforce that was doing same thing,sent it away to get fixed nothing wrong with it,rf getting in through a splitter box for my aerials.Took it out and radio was fine.
Didn't you once have a similar issue with an Anytone 5555? Worked great on the standard mic but went crazy when you used a K-PO NM532? I think that was down to a splitter box too.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...