Small pcb board lincoln1

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
robber57
Regular
Regular

Small pcb board lincoln1

Post by robber57 »

In the lincoln1 there is a small pcb board wedged in 6 little metal clips, it doesnt seem to have any other function then to act as a jumper?
In a video about repairing a lincoln the video maker noticed that the pcb was soldered to the clips.
He didnt explain why this is bad or what the previous owner tried to do but he did mention something about adjusting the board?

What is that board, its function and why is “loose” and why would someone solder it?
KlondikeMike
Call Sign: 9WR2000

Re: Small pcb board lincoln1

Post by KlondikeMike »

Defined as the "Check point PCB". A place for measuring the final and driver bias current. The board must be removed to take the measurements.
robber57
Regular
Regular

Post by robber57 »

Ah, i see.
Then it makes imo no sense to solder the board in.
I have to look that video op again, i think it was defpom.

Thanks! :)
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

It's possible, if the radio was being used as a mobile set, that vibration could work the board loose. So to prevent this someone chose to solder it in place. Not a good move though because, as has been stated, the three sets of pins it connects are the testing points for the driver and output transistors. The board must be removed in order to set the correct bias on the transistors by checking the points with a multimeter.

If you're concerned about the board working itself loose carefully give each set of pins a gentle nip with some pliers. This will give them a better grip on the board when it's in place.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
robber57
Regular
Regular

Post by robber57 »

Its getting clear now, i thought it may function as some tuning thing or as shielding but it is just a fancy jumper :)

Thanks!