Couple of faults, help needed.

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Couple of faults, help needed.

Post by sickboy »

My "NYCE" branded power meter/frequency counter has been out of action for a while and I finally got round to taking the lid off. There's a germanium diode short circuit on the RF board, and the resistor in series with it is burnt out. Can anyone tell me what type of diode it is and what value the resistor should be? In the last picture, the resistor is circled on the right, and the germanium diode is circled (under the variable resistor) on the left. There's no circuit reference numbers on the board for these components.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another fault I have is on a Midland 38. It can be fine for ages but occasionally the TX frequency will suddenly shift, almost completely off the channel. It does it at random and is quite sudden when it happens, not like a slow drift. I've searched for a dry solder joint and no amount of tapping or flexing the board will induce the fault. Doesn't affect the RX. Any help or advice appreciated!
Embrace your inner muppet !
satelitesid

Re: Couple of faults, help needed.

Post by satelitesid »

Diode will be an OA91 or similar.
I think the resistor is 100 ohm. Is there another one on the other end of that board?
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by sickboy »

satelitesid wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 13:25 Diode will be an OA91 or similar.
I think the resistor is 100 ohm. Is there another one on the other end of that board?
Thank you kindly. I have an OA90 (not an OA91) which I can try tonight. The resistor at the other end is 150 ohms
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

Usually the resistors on each end of the swr meter PCB is same value, Did you remove the one end of the diode before you tested it ? The germanium diode will have a higher reading than say a regular signal diode.
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by sickboy »

Thanks to Nick & Sid for the info. Changed diode and resistor and that's it back working 100% again.