Chip switch for Lincolns

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
steepeljack69
Call Sign: 26SF333

Chip switch for Lincolns

Post by steepeljack69 »

Hi am after any information about the guy in Germany who did the chip switch on the old 2830 and Lincolns that had Free,10m comes up when changing bands,also think radio opened up 10-12m.I have been told he doesn’t do them anymore.i have tried contacting him,no reply so does anyone know if anyone else does this mod and if so have u any information.Also I would need the modification carrying out,iam no radio technician.Thanks
Poteroa
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Teuvo

Re: Chip switch for Lincolns

Post by Poteroa »

Hey hey!

I am after the same thing.

There was some clone also sold, but site that's suppose to sell it is down too..

I would just need the firmware and the CPU type..
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Chipswitch is basically Hitachi HD4074008 with custom firmware.
Some guys wrote new their own firmware, programmed IC and sell it as chipswitch.
Some reading about that microcomputer IC: https://en.wikichip.org/w/images/0/0e/H ... 988%29.pdf
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

Hi Iam after someone that does these all set up and can also take my radio and fit it and set it all up.From what I have seen the guy in Germany doesn’t do the modifications any more,so if anyone knows of anybody else that would be a great help.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

It seems you are late 20 years. Dan Valentine - programmer for original Chipswitch and Derrell Adams. If they are still alive maybe could share their documentation.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
radio pete
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26EY49G7xxx

Post by radio pete »

I have been ]looking for some time now & no luck
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Someone with access to one and the skills could theoretically reverse-engineer it. If there was a market for them, could prove worthwhile.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

MrWeetabix wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 16:37 Someone with access to one and the skills could theoretically reverse-engineer it. If there was a market for them, could prove worthwhile.
Mentioned the same thing a while back . There's a few guys on here that are more than capable I think . Suppose it comes down to time , and willingness . If I could I would , but I'd need to go back to uni for a couple of years to study :)
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

i had the chance but not the knolige or time to do this project i was in talks and had rogerbird on board for a chipswitch replacement to sell in the usa market and i would do the eu market ,i would have fronted the cash to go ahead with it . the programmer who has done the above and was keen on the project but things have fizzed out and things on hold.2018 was a mental year for me family and work and my fb group went nuts i took on more than i can handle in repairs and still playig catchup,ive prob sold over 100 radios this year and not done a single project radio,pluss i work 60 hr weeks so a lot of stuff i wanted to do is on hold.i hope 2019 to be more stable and get a chance to try to get the ball rolling again with a chipswitch replacement
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

Yes I know a few with the knowledge and the means to do this,but there not interested or too busy with things that they need to sort out.it's a shame the guy in Germany has packed in,but like others have said it could be a nice little earner for the right person.I know another 3 people not on here chaising the same thing.Maybe I will give a bell to Mr C Workshops ,maybe he's not too many Jentec to dremill out?
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

"Once you are dancing with the devil, the prettiest capers won't help you."

...........E. T. A. Hoffmann
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

Hi Chris,if u do get chance which sounds unlikely due to other stuff u have to do.But if u do sort something please let me know as I have another 3 people as well as me.Anyway hope 2019 is a better year for u and hope all have a good christmas.
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Count me in too Chris if this project to reproduce them ever comes into fruition as i have a pristine 2830 here that i would love to have Chip Switched as i once had a HR2510 that had one fitted & it made the radio so much versatile & better to use :thumbup:
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

My Lincolns are running on a custom board / chip that I developed with a PIC micro. I wanted to put UK channels on, 5kc steps etc. All of that works, but then I got to trying to put a chipswitch compatible mode and programmable bands on the chip and lost interest because it did all I really wanted it to do already. It doesn't work on the HR2600, but the HR2510 and the Lincoln are the same.
I am the only person who has a radio with this chip in, although Jodie had one for a while before she sold it back to me. I didn't want it in the wild.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

ch25 wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 17:18 Chipswitch is basically Hitachi HD4074008 with custom firmware.
Some guys wrote new their own firmware, programmed IC and sell it as chipswitch.
Some reading about that microcomputer IC: https://en.wikichip.org/w/images/0/0e/H ... 988%29.pdf
Chris
After they programmed the chips it appears that they blew up one of the pins that was needed for programming / reading the chip, but wasn't needed for controlling the radio. So, you can't read the chipswitch program out.
If somebody had the chipswitch program, I have 4 or 5 blank OTP chips, and a UV erasable one.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1