Chip switch for Lincolns

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
steepeljack69
Call Sign: 26SF333

Re: Chip switch for Lincolns

Post by steepeljack69 »

Sounds good,please if and when u can let us know how u go on.Thanks
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

I've put the word out to a few regulars that we are after one, and will also keep checking the local eBay and Gumtree. Could be a while, those radios are rare down here, but one should turn up eventually...
Techquest
Call Sign: 29VLF125

Post by Techquest »

LCD driver IC is programmable i Have/had the data sheet somewhere if i can find it i'll post it.
there is a data dump somewhere on the forum here otter and RD250 were talking before about the same project.
if you do a lincoln data dump search it will list all the posts.
Techquest AKA Jedi
Av101 Astro Plane Old Imax n Loads of Radios
Mmmmmmmmmmm ADAMS n other Presidents
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

I spoke to Tim , Otter , and he said that he'd emailed Sue the datasheet that she was looking for.
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

No emails received as of 10 minutes ago, will check again in a few hours.

We managed to find the datasheet and someone else (ch25) let us know an equivalent part number that was easier to find the info on.
So the datasheet isn't an issue, it's working out what mode the chip runs in (it can operate different ways to suit different display types) and the segment mapping (what data bits turn on what segments of the display) that would be nice to have if anyone has that information. Nothing that can't be worked out with a bit of experimentation though, it would just save an hour or three if we had it.

Found 2 radios but neither was suitable - one was a Realistic branded cut down version with no LSB, AM or FM (on eBay Oz now) and the other already had a chipswitch and lots of other mods like an echo unit and different color LEDs (scary to think what horrors might lie inside that one). So it's keep on looking...
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

lbcomms wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 13:53 No emails received as of 10 minutes ago, will check again in a few hours.
Send me a PM Sue with your email address , and I'll pass on what I have .

Paul
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

Info for Sue, who doesn't seem to be receiving my emails.
This is taken from my working code, and is the LCD setup.

void LCD_Lincoln_Initialise (void)
{
UINT8 u8Count;
const UINT8 u8aLCD_INIT[]={0x40,0x20,0x00,0x30,0x14,0x11,0x1A}; // 0x40 = 1/4 Duty Cycle, 1/3 Bias, Freq = 1/2^7
// 0x20 = Clear data memory
// 0x00 = Clear blinking data memory
// 0x30 = Unsynchronised transfer
// 0x14 = No Segment Decoder
// 0x11 = Display on
// 0x1A = Blinking on, Freq = (Fosc/2^17)Hz
LCD_LINCOLN_CS = 0;
LCD_LINCOLN_C_D = 1; // Sending commands
__delay_us(6); // Will take 5us for busy line to be asserted
for (u8Count = 0; u8Count < sizeof(u8aLCD_INIT); u8Count++)
{
LCD_Lincoln_Send_Byte(u8aLCD_INIT[u8Count]);
}
__delay_us(4); // 2us of the 5 required were used in Send_Byte
while (LCD_LINCOLN_BUSY == LCD_BUSY){} // Wait for busy line to be released
LCD_LINCOLN_CS = 1;
__delay_us(16);
}

// Definition of letters for the LCD a G H J L n P r t U u y
UINT8 const LCD_LETTERS [] = {0xE7,0xB7,0x76,0x86,0xD0,0x64,0x73,0x60,0xF0,0xD6,0xC4,0xB6};
UINT8 const LCD_NUMBERS [] = {0xD7,0x06,0xE3,0xA7,0x36,0xB5,0xF5,0x07,0xF7,0x37,0x77,0xF4,0xD1,0xD6,0xF1,0x71}; // Turns number from 0-F into its LCD character

void display_menu_99 (UINT8 u8Value);

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// FUNCTION: display_band_channel
//
// PARAMETERS:
//
// DESCRIPTION: u8Channel == 0xFF blanks the channel number
//
// RETURNS:
//
//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
void display_band_channel (INT8 u8Band, UINT8 u8Channel)
{
LCD_OUTPUT_ARRAY[9] = u8Band; // Send band letter to small LCD

if (u8Channel == 0xFF)
{
if ((ug8CS_band == 0) && (ug8Country_Selection == CMODE_CHIPSWITCH) && (ug8CS_options & CS_OPT_SCAN_LIM))
{
LCD_OUTPUT_ARRAY[7] = 0x80; // Should be underline in the 1s position
LCD_OUTPUT_ARRAY[8] = 0;
}
else
{
LCD_OUTPUT_ARRAY[7] = 0;
LCD_OUTPUT_ARRAY[8] = 0;
}
}
else
{
LCD_OUTPUT_ARRAY[7] = LCD_NUMBERS [u8Channel & 0x0F];
u8Channel = u8Channel >> 4;
if (u8Channel == 0) LCD_OUTPUT_ARRAY[8] = 0; // Need to do this to stop leading zero from showing
else LCD_OUTPUT_ARRAY[8] = LCD_NUMBERS [u8Channel];
}
LCD_Lincoln_Send_Array(21,4);

}
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH :) :) :)

That post just saved me a ton of work (and possibly a cooked LCD), especially the first "initialise" part.

Not sure why I'm not getting emails from you, Sammy and one other user here have sent me recent messages, like the datasheet to the original LCD driver IC just a few days ago.

Thanks again, looking forward to having a crack at this one as soon as we find a suitable donor radio to turn into a dev unit.

Just out of interest though, what MCU were you using? Given the simplicity and age of the circuit, nothing too special or fast would be needed there. Current thinking for our attempt will be a common Atmel / Microchip ATMega328 mounted on a small adapter board that replaces the existing 64 pin DIP.
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

My current code is on a PIC 18. I had been thinking of changing it to one of the newer PIC16s to save cost. Maybe my address for you is old - it's a rocketmail one?
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

That's the correct one, had it for a long time now. Been waiting for it to become a spam magnet for the last 5 years or more but it hasn't happened so I kept it for forum and other non-work stuff.

I'll look at which MCU to use for ours when we find a radio, the '328 might not have enough I/O lines. Might have to use a larger one (644) or an expander like a 23017 (16 lines and can generate an interrupt when one of them changes), early days yet. It will be an Atmel AVR though...
Rogerbird1
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 769

Post by Rogerbird1 »

A very interesting forum i have stumbled into...
Chris-DT307.. I am still around.. [email protected]
I may be able to contact the current owner of the Chipswitch technology (Bill Nadzam) , He bought it from Dan and Roger Valentine and I was working with him to procure HD4074008S blanks till the supply dried up. It has been a few years, and possibly he still has the code and programmer.

Otherwise, I will offer any info I can to help.

Roger
Rogerbird1
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 769

Post by Rogerbird1 »

dt307 wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 00:51 i had the chance but not the knolige or time to do this project i was in talks and had rogerbird on board for a chipswitch replacement to sell in the usa market and i would do the eu market ,i would have fronted the cash to go ahead with it . the programmer who has done the above and was keen on the project but things have fizzed out and things on hold.2018 was a mental year for me family and work and my fb group went nuts i took on more than i can handle in repairs and still playig catchup,ive prob sold over 100 radios this year and not done a single project radio,pluss i work 60 hr weeks so a lot of stuff i wanted to do is on hold.i hope 2019 to be more stable and get a chance to try to get the ball rolling again with a chipswitch replacement
Hello!
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

hi m8 we spoke a while ago about getting a chip switch project going and i know you said you can sort out the usa side of things
its great to see you on here m8
and hope there is enough interest in trying to make it happen
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

Rogerbird1 wrote: 16 Mar 2019, 21:28 A very interesting forum i have stumbled into...
Chris-DT307.. I am still around.. [email protected]
I may be able to contact the current owner of the Chipswitch technology (Bill Nadzam) , He bought it from Dan and Roger Valentine and I was working with him to procure HD4074008S blanks till the supply dried up. It has been a few years, and possibly he still has the code and programmer.

Otherwise, I will offer any info I can to help.

Roger
thanks m8 ...yes this is a great forum and brightest techs do hang about here ,all in all a great bunch of members
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

dt307 wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 13:10 thanks m8 ...yes this is a great forum and brightest techs do hang about here ,all in all a great bunch of members
I second that !

S.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .