What's this mod repair in cybernet mic for please.

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

What's this mod repair in cybernet mic for please.

Post by original45 »

I'm sure its quite a simple mod or repair ? .but what us it.
At present mic keys up but 0 audio.

What's this little soldered in bit please.its not present in my other York 863 or cybernet mics.
Thank you

Is this why the mic has no audio.?.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Poteroa
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Teuvo

Re: What's this mod repair in cybernet mic for please.

Post by Poteroa »

Hi original45

I am no way electrician, but maybe this is some kind of a filter.
Try to draw a schematic how all are wired, that looks like a mess..
ChrisMagpie
Call Sign: 26TM553

Post by ChrisMagpie »

It's a mod to cure a feedback squeal. See here:
http://www.cbcintl.com/docs/mikewire.htm
(scroll down to the bottom of that page)

Maybe use those instructions to remove the mod, and put it back to factory :thumbup:
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Chris you read my mind. I will put it back to standard. I know I can do that .
I hate it when I open stuff up and its been messed or bodged.
Whilst I'm far far from able to do mods or intricate repairs I can do this.

Thanks both for taking g the time to reply.
I will standardise it.

Appreciated
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Removed the offending item, all wires checked still no modulation however radio keys up as normal ,normal rx audio .

I'm guessing it's the little speaker.

Can anyone explain in layman's terms how I can test this speaker.

And where to obtain suitable New ones as I have two mics now with failed speakers and one that is very quiet tx audio against other mics so guessing it's the speaker

Maybe it's time I learn how to test one.
ChrisMagpie

Post by ChrisMagpie »

Removed the offending item, all wires checked still no modulation however radio keys up as normal ,normal rx audio .

I'm guessing it's the little speaker.
It's either the little speaker (mic element!) or a break in the audio wire, in the mic lead.
Can anyone explain in layman's terms how I can test this speaker.
Set your multimeter to OHMS (a 1000 ohms or 2000 ohms range will do) and put the test leads across the little speaker. You're looking for some continuity. If the meter doesn't change when you touch the test leads on the little speaker, then the little speaker is open circuit, and will need to be replaced.
It's also worth testing the continuity of the audio wire in the curly mic lead, as there could be a break in the wire, and this would cause the same fault symptoms!
And where to obtain suitable New ones as I have two mics now with failed speakers and one that is very quiet tx audio against other mics so guessing it's the speaker
Whenever I've needed one, I've just bought a scruffy example of the same mic off ebay, and cannibalised it for parts :)
You take pot luck, of course, as the mic you buy might have the same fault! "The way to succeed is to double your failure rate" :D
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Ah ok thank you Chris. Got that and now I know how to test speakers.
I tested ohms of certain speakers I had bought to know their resistance but didn't realise this was how you test open circuit as you say in case it's broken

Not being within my skill set and I had prior only used a multi tester to test voltage before ohm recently.

Cheers Chris much appreciated.

Now with those little speaker their rated by ohm resistance, am I right to thing that a 1000 ohm would be slightly quieter than a 500 ohm.

I ask as I have a mic that's quieter ,roughly half as loud on tx audio compared to a spare.

Thanks again

Update,

Tested speaker was in fact open.
Cheers Chris
ChrisMagpie

Post by ChrisMagpie »

Now with those little speaker their rated by ohm resistance, am I right to thing that a 1000 ohm would be slightly quieter than a 500 ohm.

I ask as I have a mic that's quieter ,roughly half as loud on tx audio compared to a spare.
Dunno, really. I've got a mic with a higher than the usual 500 ohm impedance, and it seems to work just fine.
I guess you could always turn up the modulation in the rig, to compensate for the quietness of the mic :mrgreen: