Best colour to spray Concorde2 cases

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
steepeljack69
Call Sign: 26SF333

Re: Best colour to spray Concorde2 cases

Post by steepeljack69 »

Cheers for that excellent information,spraying isn’t my thing but with your instructions I will give it a go,all paint bought from same place.Like u say I can always rub it back down and give it another try.Thanks again and I should be done by end of the week,once there done I will get back to all.And again I really appreciate all the advice.Mark
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Don't forget to show us some pic's of the finished cases :clap:

Also, mind you don't pick them up for a day or two until they've hardened a bit, especially if you've put thick coats on. You'll end up putting fingerprints in them.
And... don't tighten the casing screws fully for a couple of weeks if you can help it as you may churn up any still-soft paint in the screw recesses :idea:
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

Thanks again I wouldn't have known that so thanks again.Yes I will put sum photos up once I am done,just stripped the cases and wet and dried sanded them.There not rusty and no areas that need filling.One thing when I put first coat of primer do i then sand it after or move on t the first coat of black?Please don't be expecting a work of art once I have sprayed the cases,iam no paint sprayer I can only do my best.Which iam sure will make the radio look much better.Now just trying to get a decal for the front,the original one seems to have been damaged,it's hard to explain and I can't load photos on this forum.It's like the front panel has a lacquer finish and its cracked and a piece is missing,imagine a broken window that's cracked and a piece missing,that's like front of the radio just under channel selector
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

That's annoying from the sounds of it! Any defects on the front panel underneath may show through the decal, especially if it's black or grey.

You don't need to rub the primer down as it's a matt finish and designed to give grip to the next coat. If you were wanting a super-smooth finish (which you don't on these particular cases), then you could gently 1200grit wet-sand them inbetween coats.
However, if you get any runs, then you will need to let them dry, wet-sand down with 400-600grit and then re-prime.
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

If ok with u if I can pm u Collector?i will send u sum photos t explain what I mean,for sum reason I can’t load photos onto the forum,technically iam not at the front of the que.Mark
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Yeah, no problem. Send away.

If you were local to me (North Somerset/Bristol borders), you could've brought it all round and I'd have given you a hand doing them. Due to a nasty illness I'm not allowed to do any spraying etc anymore, but I could've masked-up for a minute and shown you the ropes so-to-speak.
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

Shamebut many thanks iam up in Leeds.Anyway I have give cases a coat of primer,leave them to dry.Yrs iam just thinking if I can’t manage to post photos on the forum it will be same by pm I would have thought.i will give it a go am sure I had to email last time.Here goes,thanks again.Mark
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I've PM'd you with a rough guide on how to add pictures. I probably messed that up though lol.

There is a way to get picture storage elsewhere and add a link on here so people see them, but I've never been able to get it to work, or even get on the site itself sometimes and they don't like my email address and most say it's wrong when it's damn well not!!!! Stupid computers :(

As for emails I've had my hotmail.com account for about 30 years lol and rarely ever use it. There's probably 10 years worth of crap in it.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Have replied to your email Mark.